Model Year 2018 and Newer Motor Trend says Great MPG especially for the Manual Transmission - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Motor Trend says Great MPG especially for the Manual Transmission

I stand corrected! In my defense, one of the articles I read on their website or magazine mentioned the cars' mpg readout, (it may have been an Outback), which lead me to wonder whether they were using the vehicle's display in mpg figures. On one of my fills, the Exaggerometer was off by almost six mpg.

artosa
    Last edited by artosa; 05-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

If CR were using the Exaggerometer, they would have reported 23mpg around town, which is what our car says. I cannot imagine they would not have a very sophisticated method of calculating actual consumption.
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

I've been consistently getting over 30 on the interstate. Usually around 31-32. Occasionally around 34-35.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doca View Post
    I know I usually drive very conservatively in my manual, as of this morning Fuelly say's I'm averaging 7.5L/100 km (31.3 mpg).
    The exaggerometer says 6.8 (34.5 mpg).
    Thats A LOT better than what ive been getting.

log.JPG

(The 19 MPG average was a trip up to tahoe for snowboarding with the full basket setup on the roof).

I am also lifted and much larger tires.. so I know thats a large part of it haha.

Long highway trip last year averaged 45mpg Cdn or 37mpg US. All calculated pencil and paper. Same trip twice = same results.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidchicken03 View Post
    Thats A LOT better than what ive been getting.
    Thirsty chickenmobile.

I do very little city driving; typically one day on the weekend, if we go into town and if we take my car. However, I annoy others by setting cruise to the highway speed limit. It's much better on gas and travelling 10-20 kph faster only saves 1-2 minutes of travel time from Ottawa to home.

One tip I've gotten from this forum is to leave it in gear when coasting.
    Someone had said that the engine doesn't really drink when doing that but if you let it coast in neutral, the engine needs more gas to stay at idle.
    My consumption has dropped since I started doing that.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

Quote Originally Posted by Doca View Post
    Thirsty chickenmobile.

I do very little city driving; typically one day on the weekend, if we go into town and if we take my car. However, I annoy others by setting cruise to the highway speed limit. It's much better on gas and travelling 10-20 kph faster only saves 1-2 minutes of travel time from Ottawa to home.

One tip I've gotten from this forum is to leave it in gear when coasting.
    Someone had said that the engine doesn't really drink when doing that but if you let it coast in neutral, the engine needs more gas to stay at idle.
    My consumption has dropped since I started doing that.
    My commute is about 33 miles each way, about 30 of it is freeway, but it's not all flat. I know it takes more going into work than it does coming home (but it averages out right?? lol).

Correct! Engine decel will "cut off" the injectors down to a certain RPM, thus saving gas over throwing it in neutral and coasting. Ive been doing this for years since my first Subaru.

Currently on one of my best tanks that I can remember in a long while. Car is showing 29.9.. so its really still more like 26.X in real life.

Also, Fuelly does not account for the difference in tire size.

My last fill up was 361 miles and filled 14.551 gallon. My correction is 361*1.05 = 379.05/14.551 = 26.05 average compared to Fuelly's 24.81

Quote Originally Posted by lightbg View Post
    I can verify that. Around town I come in a bit worse than the published figures, but most of my drives are highway miles and according to Fuely I can exceed the EPA figures easily.

Jake
    Agree with Jake

MY 18 6 MT yes it is not a stop go city car, but in my home town I take the hwy to get to where I need to be, so mileage isn't as bad as it might otherwise be.. I too am happy to report on the highway Tigger does better than posted figures.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger"

I've been logging my mileage manually and have consistently hitting 32 mpg over the course of a tank of gas - 2019 Premium 6MT.

Drove my 2018 Limited from Maine to Florida and pinned the mpg at 39.9 (to include driving different speeds to break in the engine).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast