Model Year 2012 to 2017 Noise when making slow sharp turns (not CV axle).....help

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Noise when making slow sharp turns (not CV axle).....help

Noise when making slow sharp turns (not CV axle).....help

Hi, new to forum. I have a 2013 Crosstrek with 43K and manual transmission. When I make slow sharp/tight (like into a parking spot) I get a clicking noise as well as a binding/shutter of the car. This noise happens on both left and right turns, highly doubtful it could be the axles as it is unlikely to fail at this mileage on both sides at the same time. Also, the noise is of a deeper pitch than the typical CV axle click. Making this problem even harder no diagnose (at least for myself), the noise is periodic. Happens sometimes and not other times. But when it makes noise, its always making noise on both left and right sharp turns. In my early testing of this, I have not heard the noise until after a longer drive. Like after a 15 minute drive and then go to park, noise. Driving cold in the morning for a few minutes, no noise. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Welcome and good luck, hope you get answers soon.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"
    Amsoil in CVT, NIS Nanolub* in engine and both diffs.

More info:
    I've done some more drive cycles, short, longer. And, definitely the problem doesn't show itself until the vehicle is nice and hot. A freeway, highway drive or a long city drive and the problem starts. Short commutes and no issue. This leads me to believe could be related to fluid in gear box. I might try a flush first and see what happens. Perhaps there is a better fluid than stock???

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Sounds like you’re in need of a full front diff/rear diff/transfer case fluid change. When AWD cars start binding in turns, that’s usually the fix.

sounds similar to me. when i am making a sharp turn out of a parking spot, But instead of a clicking noise. mines a rubbing noise. doesn't always happen, and i don't see anything rubbing.

Sounds like a classic example of Subaru AWD "torque bind".

What happens is, a condition exists where the turning circumference of the four wheels is uneven (one or more tires mismatched wear and circumference). This slowly but surely wears away at the center differential's viscous coupler.

When the viscous coupler is warm from maybe 5 to 15 minutes of driving (especially freeway driving), the viscous coupler begins to act more like a 4WD than an AWD, no longer functioning as a center differential and de-facto turning the Subaru AWD into Subaru 4WD. It's not terribly different from driving a traditional 4WD with 4WD engaged on a high-traction surface such as dry pavement. (Engaging 4WD on a high-traction surface such as dry pavement on a traditional 4WD is taboo. The driveline clunks you are experiencing during tight turning are identical in symptoms to this)

Unfortunately, you and/or the previous users were likely not properly maintaining the tires, which led to this.

The typical cure is to completely change out the center differential w/ viscous coupler unit with a new one. The unit itself, brand new, may set you back at least $585. This price excludes labor. From my limited understanding, it is not terribly difficult to do, just requires some effort to get to.

The part is here: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...8913AA102.html P/N 38913AA102
    "Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano

Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Sounds like a classic example of Subaru AWD "torque bind".

What happens is, a condition exists where the turning circumference of the four wheels is uneven (one or more tires mismatched wear and circumference). This slowly but surely wears away at the center differential's viscous coupler.

When the viscous coupler is warm from maybe 5 to 15 minutes of driving (especially freeway driving), the viscous coupler begins to act more like a 4WD than an AWD, no longer functioning as a center differential and de-facto turning the Subaru AWD into Subaru 4WD. It's not terribly different from driving a traditional 4WD with 4WD engaged on a high-traction surface such as dry pavement. (Engaging 4WD on a high-traction surface such as dry pavement on a traditional 4WD is taboo. The driveline clunks you are experiencing during tight turning are identical in symptoms to this)

Unfortunately, you and/or the previous users were likely not properly maintaining the tires, which led to this.

The typical cure is to completely change out the center differential w/ viscous coupler unit with a new one. The unit itself, brand new, may set you back at least $585. This price excludes labor. From my limited understanding, it is not terribly difficult to do, just requires some effort to get to.

The part is here: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_20...8913AA102.html P/N 38913AA102
    Thanks for the info. This seems logical. I dont know about the cars history and how it was driven. I'm a small auto dealer and just got this in stock. While its got almost new matching tires now, who knows what was before. I'll relay the info to my shop. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

The CV axle or axles are shot. Don't be surprised by this problem at your low mileage of 43K. The left CV Axle of my 2016 (manual) started clicking at 49K, and I have babied this car! Luckily I had extended warranty to 4/60K. I wrote about it in another CV axle thread.

I had some similar noises happening. Can you give a kind of example of what it sounds like? Mine sounded like a deeper version of the classic CV noise. It wasn't the CVs. I thought it was the strut mounts as there was a TSB out on that (you may want to check that out). Had both mounts replaced by dealer, didn't fix.

I ended up figuring out it has something to do with my brakes up front. When I removed the pads and thoroughly re-greased them, the noise stopped! And for a good long while too. Came back about 10k miles later... so now I just live with that noise as i know what it is and that it seems to just be the brake pads slightly binding a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    The CV axle or axles are shot. Don't be surprised by this problem at your low mileage of 43K. The left CV Axle of my 2016 (manual) started clicking at 49K, and I have babied this car! Luckily I had extended warranty to 4/60K. I wrote about it in another CV axle thread.
    Highly doubt it is CV axles. It would be very strange for both to fail prematurely at the same time. And the noise tone doesn't resemble anything like a cv axle. AWDFreak response is probably on the right track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast