Model Year 2012 to 2017 Weird sound after 'D to R' 'R to D' changes. Gearbox issue?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Weird sound after 'D to R' 'R to D' changes. Gearbox issue?

I have Subaru XV Hybrid 2014 with 34k miles.
    When I change "drive" to "reverse" and start moving, I can hear little weird sound. Same sound I can hear when I change from "reverse" do "drive".
    You can hear it on short movie which I recorded.
    Do you know if it is some gearbox issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Have you recently replaced the CV axles? I used aftermarket CV axles that had a slightly different length than OEM and had a very similar "click" when shifting between drive and reverse. My solution was to purchase and install OEM CVs.

I too believe it's a CV joint issue.The noise is too crisp,too loud and too clear to be coming from inside the gearbox.Start by checking the rubber boots on the inner and outer CV joints for damage or leaking grease.It's impossible for us to know exactly where it's coming from from the video so we can't say exactly what the source is.If all the boots are good then,to avoid the echo effect of the garage,take it outside and have someone move the car back and forth like you did here while you listen outside the car to try to pin point the source of the noise.It could also be coming from the driveshaft connecting the transmission to the rear differential so listen there too.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Thank you for your replies.
    I've never changed CV axles. I will start with checking CV axles.

I identified that noise comes from front left. I found leaking grease on left inner cover of CV joint. Should I change all CV axle or it is possible to change only CV joint?

Changing the whole axle is probably your best bet. All things considered, if you're mechanically inclined it is a relatively straightforward job.

The other CV axle noise you might check for is when you make a sharp right or left turn (with the wheel all the way turned like a U-Turn). As the car rolls while turning the CV axle (or axles if they are both toast) is "click, click, click" until you stop turning. The click is similar to the click I'm hearing after your transmission engages.

Thank you for your help!!!
    I replaced CV axle and problem disappeared.
    But I am little confused... When I remove inner CV joint from gearbox, no oil fluid outflow. I replaced CV axle some time ago in other car and I remember that little of oil fluid outflows after inner CV joint removal.

Is it correct behaviour? is it possible to check oil level in this CVT gearbox?