Model Year 2018 and Newer Mahle OC1177 Oil Filter - Page 4

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mahle OC1177 Oil Filter

Quote Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
    This discussion reminded me of something I hadn't thought about in a long time.

Lo these many moons ago, when my hair was less white and more plentiful, there was an automotive catalog from the Warshawsky company of Chicago, AKA J.C. Whitney. They sold cheap auto parts. Some of them were legitimate replacement parts, like brake shoes and u-joints and so forth all the way up to complete crate engines; but they also had the most comprehensive collection of half-baked automotive gimmicks and gadgets you'd ever hope to see. It was endlessly entertaining to read pages and pages of breathless claims of better fuel mileage, longer engine and tire life, or what have you, just by installing some worthless doodad.

Anyway, they sold a bypass oil filter kit consisting of an adapter plate that you screwed onto your oil filter mount, with attached hoses leading to a big canister with a removeable lid held on by a big wingnut. The actual filtration material you'd use inside the canister was - and I am NOT making this up - a roll of toilet paper. No more buying expensive oil filters; just replace the roll with a new one every so often.

I shudder to think what that did to the engines of the cheapskate suckers who installed one.

Lest you think I hallucinated this whole thing, here it is:

Attachment 289408

Attachment 289410

Attachment 289412
    It's still a thing.

Back in the days before children, we used to own a Diesel Trawler, and Gulf Coast filters were often used for fuel polishing with rolls of paper towels as a filter medium. If you google up Gulf Coast and paper towel you can find discussions like this:
    Re: Gulf Coast Filter - Paper towel elements? [Re: LITOA] #309376108/12/13 05:40 PM

"AlaskaMike Offline

Alaska
    Originally Posted By: LITOA

From what you are saying, it sounds like you are using paper towels straight from Cosco, into the housing. No fabric sock, no plastic ends, no removal of the center cardboard core, correct? It is my understanding that the most important thing is to get the most densely wound roll you can find with the diameter of the roll being as large as possible and still fit in the housing.

Yep, that's correct--the denser the roll the better. I do leave the roll as-is and reuse the plastic ends, but I don't use the plastic sock. I thought about ordering some of the GCF elements just to get some spare plastic ends, but I haven't bothered.

Quote:

I presume you are having no issues with the paper degrading to the point where it is flowing into the engine?

Thank you very much!

My pleasure, and no issues with paper floating around in the oil at all. If that were happening it would certainly be reflected in my analysis reports. Also, when I change out the paper towel roll, it comes out looking the same as it went in (except it's now all black and oily grin ). If it were disintegrating in the oil flow I expect it would look eroded or chunks would be missing--I definitely don't see either of that happening.

Mike"
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/3092389/2
    Old Wizened Goat
    "Griselda"
    2019 Limited #21
    Cool Grey Khaki

Neither "Khaki" or "Grey", but definitely is "Cool"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Back in the day, I almost bought a Frantz filter for my car. IIRC Amsoil or their dealers were hawking them as something akin to the Holy Grail for filtering oil. They used TP rolls, and some brands did not hold up to the intended purpose, let alone filtering oil under pressure.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

Mahle and Mann filters are OEM for VW/Audi. I'm sure they will work with 0W-20 synthetic oil for 6,000 mile changes.
    As for me, I use Wix 57055 oil filters.
    On my previous 2009 Impreza, I used Wix and Mobil 1 0W-40 with 10,000 mile changes, for 100,000 miles with no problems.
    Synthetic oils are far superior to the mineral oils. I don't think in 6,000 miles they'll sludge up.
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    The black filters are a better-built filter - people who have cut those two filters in half have verified it as such. Having said that, we don't know if it actually needs to be that well built... the car may not utilize the higher built quality of the black filters. We have not had a report where the blue filters have failed in service which is a testament to the blue filters and the level of quality required.
    This is the word. The black filters are made in Japan, but the blue (USA) filters work just fine. North America has a 6-month service interval and they are "good enough".

There has only been once instance where there was an issue. And (guess what?) the Subaru OEM filters are FRAM.

Edit: If you have an hour to kill, this video does a complete in-depth analysis and the OEM blue = FRAM Toughguard in every way.

Are both the blue and black filters the same Subaru part number?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    Blue filter: 15208AA15A
    Black filter: 15208AA160 (Subaru branded) or N3R1-14-302 (Mazda branded)

As a result of this discussion, I just ordered six of the black ones from a Mazda dealer.

It's been a while since I did my own oil changes, because cars have been getting lower and lower in the nose area, and I finally wound up owning cars I couldn't drive onto my ramps. Plus which there was kind of a price war going on between the shops in my area, and an oil change could be had for $20. But now with full synthetic oil that price isn't available anymore, and with a Crosstrek and a Forester we won't have any trouble getting the cars up onto the ramps. So I bought new supplies and I'll be taking the job over myself.

I find it puzzling why Japanese made Subarus come equipped with the cheap and inferior Fram filter for North American market which is the largest market globally, whereas we get the black (Tokyo Roki) ones even though our market is the smallest!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by capt_aaa View Post
    I find it puzzling why Japanese made Subarus come equipped with the cheap and inferior Fram filter for North American market which is the largest market globally, whereas we get the black (Tokyo Roki) ones even though our market is the smallest!
    If the car was built in Japan, then they do typically come equiped with them... the black ones just aren't available for sale in North America from Subaru so anything that is built in North America or serviced gets a blue filter. It probably has to do with the fact that Subaru builds cars in North America and swapping out the Japanese sourced oil filter with a North American one means that there is more North American content in the car.

The filter made by Fram and Roki "should" be built to the exact specs that Subaru supplies. Just like there have be car companies that have contracted to build a competitor's vehicle. Can anyone here definitely say that the two filters are different. Just asking. Not implying anything anything.

I personally would not have any problem buying either one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast