Model Year 2018 and Newer 2019 Limited Oil gauge normal range

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By black86

Thread: 2019 Limited Oil gauge normal range

2019 Limited Oil gauge normal range

Just started looking at the water temp and oil gauges while driving. I think they are only available on the Limited in the US.
    My oil gauge (gage?) reads around 206 degrees give or take 10 degrees after 20 minutes of mixed driving.
    What is normal? What is a red flag temp of oil - 280 - 300? If it does overheat, can you let it cool down and then drive it some more to get home or to the dealer?

The water gauge just points to a cold (blue) section, normal (white) and overheating (red). No actual degrees.

Also what tire pressure should I use for the Subaru supplied 18 inch wheels. I know that you can see a recommended pressure on the sticker in the drivers door but some people increase it a little for better mpg.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I wouldn't worry about your oil temp or water temp, I feel like those screens are just there for eye candy because they couldn't think of anything more useful to put there, not because you needed to monitor the temps for safety. If they are ever in the red then yeah, let the car cool down and then try to figure out why it's overheating. Normal is up to 220 degrees or so.

Tire pressure... use whatever you want, up to the maximum rated psi on the tire. Know the side effects though. The harder the tire is because of the psi the harder bumps will get and a noisier ride, the higher chance of blowing a tire in a pot hole or other road hazard, would have increased tire wear also, but you'll have better gas mileage.

According to the 540ratblog thermal breakdown on oil occurs around 265-280*F (129-138*C). If my oil temp was that high I would be concerned enough to pull over and let the engine cool down before proceeding, if safe to do so. He states normal sump as 230*F (110*C).

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    Also what tire pressure should I use for the Subaru supplied 18 inch wheels. I know that you can see a recommended pressure on the sticker in the drivers door but some people increase it a little for better mpg.
    Thanks
    Personally, I go with 36 in the front and 35 in the rears. If one of them gets down to ~32, I'll fill them all back up.

It's a little higher than recommended, but not high enough where they start to be too hard for ride comfort.

And like others have said, don't worry too much about those gauges. as long as they are showing normal operating range, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Perplexed View Post
    Just started looking at the water temp and oil gauges while driving. I think they are only available on the Limited in the US.
    My oil gauge (gage?) reads around 206 degrees give or take 10 degrees after 20 minutes of mixed driving.
    What is normal? What is a red flag temp of oil - 280 - 300? If it does overheat, can you let it cool down and then drive it some more to get home or to the dealer?

The water gauge just points to a cold (blue) section, normal (white) and overheating (red). No actual degrees.

Thanks
    I've got a scangauge to monitor my temps since I'm a base model. oil goes as high as 230F cruising up hill and 205 to 200 cruising flats or downhill. I've seen it as high as 277F at the track. stock water temp gauge never moves but my Scangauge reads 215F and the fans turn on and shut off at 195F I think, cruising sees no more than 205F

can't help you on tire pressure, I'm on 15s

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If we are trending into warmer weather I inflate my tires +1 psi over the door sticker recommendation. If we are trending into cooler weather I inflate my tires +2 psi. I check my tires almost weekly, early in the morning after the car has been parked all night.

The temps, as stated above, are typical of most cars. Oil normal range is around 200-230F, depending on load, outside temp, etc. I've seen the water temp vary, but the thermostat and fans should keep it fairly stable so don't sweat it unless it suddenly gets high and stays there. I typically run my Crosstrek's tires at 35-36 all around. I try to keep them all at the same pressure. I check them every couple of weeks when they're "cold" and adjust as necessary.

2019 Limited Oil gauge normal range

I’ve been keeping my 18” about 36/34 (F/R).
    Last edited by 05Moose; Today at 05:45 PM.
    2019 Crosstrek Limited w/Gray Interior
    Popular Package #2