Model Year 2018 and Newer Why go manual? - Page 5

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Why go manual?

Good evening, Richard! I happen to have the 2018 Crosstrek with manual transmission. The choice is just a personal decision. I waited for a manual to come into my dealer. \
    If one drives in significant daily stop and go traffic, then I can understand, getting the CVT. If one encounters snow or heavy rain, the manual allows deceleration using the transmission, rather than brakes. I guess it comes down to some people enjoy shifting a gearbox, others do not. I have owned Porsches, Mercedes and many other vehicles, and I always specified manual gear box.
    If you prefer the CVT, go for it! The CVT even gets a slight bump in mpg. The Crosstrek is a great car, enjoy CVT or Manual, it will be your car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OurTrek View Post
    ... If one encounters snow or heavy rain, the manual allows deceleration using the transmission, rather than brakes.
    As does the CVT using the paddle shifters. Throw the shift lever to the left from D puts it in full manual ... though no clutch pedal, though I would imagine electronic via the brain. But the same engine braking using the left shift paddle to downshift, the right shift paddle to upshift. It stays in the same gear that you shift into until you go up or down.

In fact, the CVT uses downshifting in Adaptive Cruise Control when traffic in front of you is slowing way down and you have the ACC set to 80 mph. It stays set at 80 but maintains the speed, or non-speed, of the car in front of you. You can hear and feel the downshifting as it slows you down, only using the brakes at the last seconds if needed.
    Last edited by TheKnack; 04-21-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Quote Originally Posted by TheKnack View Post
    I totally disagree with you. You love your MT and you can have it and enjoy it. I love my CVT and will keep it and enjoy it. There is NO right or WRONG. It is strictly a matter of personal preference. I love the EyeSight, you hate it ... I'll keep enjoying it as it has saved my wife's new 2017 from an inevitable and unavoidable collision. I love it as it does better on gas mileage than I do when in bumper to bumper traffic, and it is an assistant keeping me safe from running into someone's back end. It does not stop the car behind me from running into me, but hey, I'll take what I can get. I feel safer with EyeSight covering my back (so to say). You'd rather give your legs a workout, at my age my legs can't handle that. I'm not calling you wrong, but don't try to prove to me that I'm wrong either because in my book, I'm not.
    ???

Yes, I quite concur: It is a matter of personal preference. Please don't think I was judging you for your wants. If you love your CVT have at it -- I wasn't suggesting no-one have it or that it was wrong to like it. I was only stating why I prefer MT and the reasons why. I was also really initially pointing out how the Subaru symmetrical AWD and associated systems work and that they vary between CVT and manual.

Having driving with eyesight/lane departure in my climate I don't like it. It's fine that you do. I also understand that ours are not self-driving cars, but that this is one step in the evolution, but it does raise concerns that they may not be suited in all environments unless municipalities start burying sensors on the road for the automatons to detect.

One of my concerns is that with so many under 50s texting on the road or being otherwise distracted (and/or inebriated - pot is now legal across Canada!) that anything that substitutes for human awareness, concentration, or having one's head on a swivel makes me nervous. But that's just me. Attention spans are going down, not up. I like to count the people in a day I see walking and texting, and even crossing a street. Craziness to me...

I used to ride motorbikes and one of my friends broke his back when a driver, who was looking at her phone, knocked him off his bike from behind coming to a stop light. She didn't even see him. Maybe Eyesight would have helped in that case! I'm really glad to hear that it saved your car from an otherwise unavoidable accident.

Take care,
    phaetn

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I just bought my Premium and delayed my purchase so I could test drive the Manual and CVT back to back, which I highly recommend if you can find a dealer that has a manual. I researched, watched videos, etc. and walked into the dealership expecting to order a manual, but for my purposes ended up getting the CVT which shocked me completely. The main reason I ended up going that way is two-fold: 1. The Crosstrek is going to be my commuter car and I liked how the power delivery felt for the stop and go traffic I will likely encounter on a daily basis and 2. I have a 2003 WRX that is modified to be fun to drive and I use for my fun car and for autox. I love driving manual for all the reasons other people have already suggested, but my point is to try and test drive both and then consider your use for the car – it's a very personal decision, and a decent investment, so I say do whatever will make you happiest in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Robob View Post
    CVT is still new and if it's anything other than a sensor or a belt going wrong with a CVT most of the time the whole unit will be replaced.
    CVT is still new? I'm just having a good laugh. My mum had one of these in 1970: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAF_33

It certainly wasn't one of the first vehicles with CVT, indeed here in Europe most of the new model auto gearboxes fitted by the mainstream manufacturers (not BMW) are CVT as they are more efficient than conventional auto and 'normally driven' manual gearboxes.

Most of Europe drives manual although with the move to hybrid and electric, we're fast moving towards auto. Where I live in the UK it would be unthinkable for a person to be unable to drive a car with manual transmission...

Quote Originally Posted by phaetn View Post
    ???

Yes, I quite concur: It is a matter of personal preference. Please don't think I was judging you for your wants. If you love your CVT have at it -- I wasn't suggesting no-one have it or that it was wrong to like it. I was only stating why I prefer MT and the reasons why. I was also really initially pointing out how the Subaru symmetrical AWD and associated systems work and that they vary between CVT and manual.

Having driving with eyesight/lane departure in my climate I don't like it. It's fine that you do. I also understand that ours are not self-driving cars, but that this is one step in the evolution, but it does raise concerns that they may not be suited in all environments unless municipalities start burying sensors on the road for the automatons to detect.

One of my concerns is that with so many under 50s texting on the road or being otherwise distracted (and/or inebriated - pot is now legal across Canada!) that anything that substitutes for human awareness, concentration, or having one's head on a swivel makes me nervous. But that's just me. Attention spans are going down, not up. I like to count the people in a day I see walking and texting, and even crossing a street. Craziness to me...

I used to ride motorbikes and one of my friends broke his back when a driver, who was looking at her phone, knocked him off his bike from behind coming to a stop light. She didn't even see him. Maybe Eyesight would have helped in that case! I'm really glad to hear that it saved your car from an otherwise unavoidable accident.

Take care,
    phaetn
    I'm glad that we can agree to disagree, and that we agree that it is a matter for personal preference and not a you MUST do it this way. Sometimes it does seem to come across as such here on the forum. Sensors in the road? I don't think I would feel comfortable with an autonomous car. At an advanced age though, I do appreciate the co-pilot assist.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5