Model Year 2018 and Newer Crosstrek 6 speed manual jerky shifting

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Crosstrek 6 speed manual jerky shifting

Crosstrek 6 speed manual jerky shifting

I have read that it can be difficult to shift the Crosstrek 6 speed without avoiding some lurching and jerking motions. Even though I have been driving manual transmissions for over 50 years, I had the same problem with my new Crosstrek at first. It now has over 4000 miles on it and it is no longer an issue. I'm not sure if I have finally developed the skill and tecnique, or if the clutch just needed to break in. What has been others experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I've only been driving manual since 1996 but it took me a little while to figure out how he likes to move about.

Lol; it's probably the most I-don't-know-how-to-drive-stick friendly manual I've ever driven.
    That said, people like us are mechanically trained to drive it like something from our past.
    Audio mod manual: https://www.impreza5.com/forum/26-el...er-thread.html
    Crutchfield directions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JV4...ub2Ssid9c/view

----

----
    18' Subaru Crosstrek "Stamford" - 29 Aug 17 -
    07' VW Rabbit "Bunny"- 4 Jan 07' - 30 Jun 17'
    94' Chev Beretta "Dirty B" - 24 Jun 96' - 4 Jan 07'
    85' Hyundai Stellar "Beast" - Mar 94' - Dec 95'

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I find after driving many generations of MT Subaru that it’s the electronic throttle modulation that messes with me the most, compared to the older cable driven throttles anyway. It helps once your brain accounts for that “lag” from the foot to rpm response, I sometimes do a quick throttle blip of maybe 500 rpm to help rev-match in the spots I know are sometimes jerky or to help smooth the transitions.

As they say it’s all in the...feet

I've only ever driven manuals. The Crosstrek takes a bit to get used to.

i didn't have that much of a learning curve with the 6sp( my first 6sp all other manuals have been 5sp).it just took some getting used to that the car revs higher and uses more RPM's than did my other manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by amx304 View Post
    I've only ever driven manuals. The Crosstrek takes a bit to get used to.
    X2 found the same thing, the Crosstrek, not having the low end torque is a little more difficult to drive.

I had the problem of shifting "too quickly" when I first got my car.

I decided to try to be very "deliberate" and try to shift "slowly", and that helped me learn how to drive it smoother. Now, I don't really have any problems with shifting.

Totally agree with this: " it's probably the most I-don't-know-how-to-drive-stick friendly manual I've ever driven."

Quote Originally Posted by tja4430 View Post
    I had the problem of shifting "too quickly" when I first got my car.

I decided to try to be very "deliberate" and try to shift "slowly", and that helped me learn how to drive it smoother. Now, I don't really have any problems with shifting.

Totally agree with this: " it's probably the most I-don't-know-how-to-drive-stick friendly manual I've ever driven."
    yes I sometimes kick the clutch in too quickly in tight spots/traffic and it bucks and you can hear a clunk. Shifts find if you shift slowly or press the clutch a half a second after letting off the throttle.

~I've been driving stick since I was born~ either way, every manual car I drove was different. GMC sonoma: learned the first day I drove it. Friends 99ish integra, crisp. Even across subaru models.02 WRX, every shifter upgrade, 1st gear was sensitive, reverse was sensitive, Had the roll or double clutch sometimes cocktail gear oil helped. . 99 outback, used and a POS, test drove and I don't know how I made it around the block..stock 05 forester xt, shifted like a bus..2015 wrx, boomba shifter plate, bearing, heavy shift knob, group n transmission mount and poly x-member bushings with motul gear oil, shifts great. Once a month 1st gear will be tough and have to double clutch or 2nd then 1st. 2018 crosstrek! shifts like a small bus stock, I now have the boomba short shifter plate, bearing, and heavy shift knob. Shifts great if you aren't kicking the clutch in immediately depressing the throttle.

excuse the long response

My experience was similar to this but I don't think it had anything to do with the car breaking in. I have driven many manuals over the years and it usually just takes a short test drive around the block to get in tune with the car. My 2018 Crosstrek took about 1000 miles. To me it felt like the gear spacing was a bit off on the low end. Kind of like 2nd gear was a little higher than it should be. Big jump from 1 to 2 then a little jump from 2 to 3, 4-5-6 felt fine right from the start.

I really had a hard time with the hill assist feature at first. I've adjusted to it's slow release time and actually depend on it now. I'll probably roll back into the car behind me the next time I drive a different MT car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast