Model Year 2018 and Newer Blown motor 97 mi on odometer, new car

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Blown motor 97 mi on odometer, new car

Blown motor 97 mi on odometer, new car

Yeah, it's an Impreza, not a Crosstrek, but the same motor, so thought somebody here might be able to advise me. Thanks in advance.
    Day 2 with my new 2019 Hatchback, 97 miles on odometer, at 65 mph left lane of 3 lanes of evening rush hour traffic. "CLUNK", maybe the CVT downshifted I guessed, slowed a little, then foot back on gas for a few seconds "CLUNK" "CLUNK" and a LOT of dashboard lights, no significant power as I slowly weave through 3 lanes of angry rush hour traffic. Survived onto the shoulder, took a breath, some smoke coming from under the hood and beginnings of gas smell inside the car. 4-foot diameter of gassy dirt under right side of car. Called dealership who gave me 800 number for Subaru warranty towing. 20 minutes on phone with Subaru warranty towing, a follow up call from Subaru in Florida, and a tow truck 25 minutes later.

At the dealer 10 minutes later, the sales manager was surprised that a new car would fail that way. I wonder now if he was suggesting that it might have been my fault. He explained that Subaru would likely send a new motor once his dealer mechanic determined what had happened and maybe I'd get a loaner.

Beyond a new motor, what else should I expect / demand ?
    A loaner?
    Any likely damage to CVT from that kind of early motor death?
    Any likely damage to anything else from that kind of early motor death?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Demand a loaner for sure. If it does require a new engine I would insist on a new vehicle exchange or buy back (due to your extremely low mileage) although you are bound to get pushback from the dealer on that. If so involve SOA Customer Service.

JeffWind: Are you any relation to forum member warmwind?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Did you follow he break-in info? It sounds like you blew out gaskets, seals, etc. by not:

How Do I Break In My New Subaru?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]The advanced engineering and manufacturing that goes into every Subaru model means that a new Subaru off the factory floor is pretty much ready to go. However, for the first 1,000 miles it's recommended that you keep a few things in mind. Try not to run the new BOXER engine at a constant speed or RPM for extended periods of time. Instead, spend these first 1,000 miles traveling at the full range of speed the Subaru will encounter throughout its life. This way, all the seals, bearing, and other components are introduced to the full range of demands your Subaru will encounter. Additionally, avoid sudden stops and starts unless in an emergency. Hard acceleration and stopping is not great for any engine, new or otherwise, and avoiding it during the first 1,000 miles is the best way to ensure that your Subaru gets settled in for its long and reliable life.

They may check the little black box to determine that. Don't admit to anything though. My intentions are not being nasty, but looking at what they may look for. 97 miles is not quite near the 1,000 mark.
    [/COLOR]
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBill View Post
    Demand a loaner for sure. If it does require a new engine I would insist on a new vehicle exchange or buy back (due to your extremely low mileage) although you are bound to get pushback from the dealer on that. If so involve SOA Customer Service.
    It would be a hard to get a new vehicle exchange... it might be much easier to get a long extended warranty however. After all, you can't help but lose some trust in the car at only 97 miles and this happens.

With 97 miles i would demand a new car, but typically they just give new engine, so the best compromise is to ask new engine+transmission

Florida has a Lemon Law...I would invoke that to get a new car or your money back...

The problem reported by the OP is kinda in the same category as the seat belt causing an electrical spark that injured the user. Remember that one? Ref the thread "'19 Crosstrek Electrical Shock Problem" back in December. It's one of those that's almost too strange to be true but worthy of ....uh....consideration.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

I did follow Break In protocols. On first test drive, the car was fine. On second test drive, the check engine light was on when I started the car. The saleswoman said it was just a PDI issue and not to be concerned. When I bought and received the car, the check engine light was off.

What caused the engine to fail would determine whether the CVT should be replaced. If the issue caused seizure (sudden or intermittent) to the crankshaft, I would think the CVT should be replaced also. If that was the case, you might have to fight for it. Also make sure they have the paperwork that shows where the replacement(s) came from and the serial #'s match the components replaced. Either way extended warranties are in order, paid by Subaru IMO.

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast