Model Year 2018 and Newer Direct Injection / maintenance of injectors current/future issues - Page 17

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Direct Injection / maintenance of injectors current/future issues

After i change my intake to aem, somehow after agressive acceleration and slow down, i can smell oil burnt that seemed eliminated after installing crawford aos. Crc gdi cleaner always bring engine quieter after cleaning but the hot soak always trigger CEL on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

OK Im back on with the can. Just ordered a cheapo from ebay to try. if it works i can always upgrade later. More to follow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183660055606

Ran the 'scope through the throttle body to get a view of the valves but didn't get good pics. Valves were cleaner than before the intake service, but I was having trouble withdrawing the camera from the intake. Wound up disconnecting the battery (didn't want SG to throw any codes), then pulling the throttle body and screen behind. The camera was still hanging up, but was easier to use an "unscrewing" motion to withdraw the cable. The screen has about 1/4" (~6.3 mm) mesh, and was dirty, as was the throttle plate, so cleaned both. Using the port on the intake bypasses the throttle body, so is in need of some spray cleaning also.

Seeing how dirty some things were, (after only 11.6k miles/~18.6k kms) gives me pause to look into catch cans more. I'm just very reluctant to alter the emissions system. Thoughts anyone?

artosa
    '18 Premium DGM Low-tech, "StealthGeezer"
    "I'm not an expert at anything" and "Perspective is Everything"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I'm waiting to hear if folks actually see oil being captured by the cans. If there is an appreciable amount of oil being skimmed from the EGR system, and no codes are being thrown, it will be worth any potential warranty issues to install a catch can, in my view.

I'd have to agree, if the cans do work, and periodic intake service, that should be all we need to do. Just can't see having to pull the intake off to clean the valves with a walnut shell blaster.

artosa

Quote Originally Posted by artosa View Post
    Ran the 'scope through the throttle body to get a view of the valves but didn't get good pics. Valves were cleaner than before the intake service, but I was having trouble withdrawing the camera from the intake. Wound up disconnecting the battery (didn't want SG to throw any codes), then pulling the throttle body and screen behind. The camera was still hanging up, but was easier to use an "unscrewing" motion to withdraw the cable. The screen has about 1/4" (~6.3 mm) mesh, and was dirty, as was the throttle plate, so cleaned both. Using the port on the intake bypasses the throttle body, so is in need of some spray cleaning also.

Seeing how dirty some things were, (after only 11.6k miles/~18.6k kms) gives me pause to look into catch cans more. I'm just very reluctant to alter the emissions system. Thoughts anyone?

artosa

An oil catch can shouldn't affect the emissions. It would just prevent some engine oil fumes from being burned, but not release unburned oil into the exhaust.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by artosa View Post
    artosa
    Being a very risk averse person, I've concluded that there are risks associated with the re-plumbing of the PCV reclamation system thru another device. I'll have the dealer do it every 20K miles ($170) and assume all risks. But ever since I used 3/4 of a can of the CRC stuff sprayed into the intake thru the brake vacuum port earlier this month, my car has been running really smooth, perky and quiet. Despite that, I'm still gonna have them do it. I don't think I can endure the sickeningly loud pre-ignition I heard when I did it. I thought for sure that I was gonna end up with a cracked piston or bent rod. I think that I was dumping too much of the stuff in each spray. I just lucked out....

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

Catch can definitely will maintain internal engine cleaner if the car is driven agressively. The crc intake cleaner also make the engine quieter, that perhaps caused by less compression.

Assuming the catch can works and there is an accumulation of some sort, what do you do with it? One site said you just pour it back into the crankcase. Isn't water one of the ingredients; if so, what happens in winter, as we get well below freezing here? Looked at McNally, seems like a good design but $400 (US)? Ouch!

artosa

Quote Originally Posted by kr_xv View Post
    The crc intake cleaner also make the engine quieter, that perhaps caused by less compression.
    How does that work?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with Eyesight (aka Shrek)
    Quartz Blue Pearl

2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium (aka Obie)
    Ice Silver Metallic

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast