Applies to All Model Years FUMOTO Valve — Yay or Nay??? - Page 4

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: FUMOTO Valve — Yay or Nay???

Quote Originally Posted by drrobinson View Post
    As an alternative, I’ve just installed one from no-spill systems. Very low profile and no lever to get bumped.

https://www.nospillsystems.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for linking to this version. How is it working for you?

I actually bought a Fumoto, but then I noticed that once it was installed, it sticks down from the oil pan an uncomfortable distance and even though the Crostrek is an All Wheel Drive, this car doesn't sit that high off the ground. I was never concerned about leaks or drips from the valve itself, but I was worried about something striking the underside of the car and physically breaking it off. I was on the freeway the other day and came upon a bunch of large truck tire retreads that had come off some truck. There were so many large pieces on the roadway that people were having to dodge right and left to try and avoid them, so hitting a piece was inevitable. One piece was very large and I drove over it at 60 miles an hour. It really whacked that bottom engine cover and left a very large mark, just shy of where the oil drain plug was sitting. That "skid cover" under the engine is only made of soft plastic mind you and will yield when something heavy hits it. Something hanging down from the oil pan is just asking to be knocked off, so never say never.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Thanks for linking to this version. How is it working for you?I actually bought a Fumoto, but then I noticed that once it was installed, it sticks down from the oil pan an uncomfortable distance and even though the Crostrek is an All Wheel Driv. Something hanging down from the oil pan is just asking to be knocked off, so never say never.
    That must be a pre 2018 design oil plug in the pan or a different Fumoto valve. On my 2018 it is recessed and does not protrude at all.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

I've got a 2017 Crosstrek. The valve does not protrude below the actual plastic shield, but it does stick out from the pan at an angle. That valve is narrow and made of brass, which can break off with one god hit at the thread line. That does give me the willies. Like I said, that plastic shield is no protection if something very heavy hits it at high speed, even a chunk of rubber. It will yield and expose the valve to an impact. I haven't even considered if an owner takes this car off-road, which they show people happily doing in the Crosstrek commercials. There you've got actual rock.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I understand what you are saying. One of our members here does a lot of off roading and has a Fumoto installed. So far so good. Prior to me installing one, I read and watched a lot of reviews on the valve and never came across a hesitancy to install one or a mishap. I suspect it would have to take a good bash to break it. If I were to do some serious off roading I guess it would give me a pause for thought.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

...luv 'em...just did one o' my signature 7 min oil changes ystrdy (4/15) ! put one on my 1st oil dump back in '13...ha, never looked back !

subie.jpg77.jpg
    subie.jpg177.jpg

Installing mine next week! Looking forward to easy oil changes. Plus I hear with the long nipple fumoto, if you can reach you don't even have to jack up the car/put it on ramps!

Quote Originally Posted by stacvorian View Post
    Installing mine next week! Looking forward to easy oil changes. Plus I hear with the long nipple fumoto, if you can reach you don't even have to jack up the car/put it on ramps!
    Not sure why the nipple length would matter for jacking the car? I can easily slide under the XV without jacks and get full access to the drain plug, and don't think a long nipple would make things any easier.

For what it's worth, I went with an "S" (short nipple) Fumoto valve just to minimize the potential moment arm in case I do catch a rock or other hard object, and am just waiting for my first oil change to throw it on the car.

Put one on last week. Ive been obsessively checking my oil since. Dont laugh, but im toting Mobil 1, extra drain plug and wrench for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Thanks for linking to this version. How is it working for you?

I actually bought a Fumoto, but then I noticed that once it was installed, it sticks down from the oil pan an uncomfortable distance and even though the Crostrek is an All Wheel Drive, this car doesn't sit that high off the ground. I was never concerned about leaks or drips from the valve itself, but I was worried about something striking the underside of the car and physically breaking it off. I was on the freeway the other day and came upon a bunch of large truck tire retreads that had come off some truck. There were so many large pieces on the roadway that people were having to dodge right and left to try and avoid them, so hitting a piece was inevitable. One piece was very large and I drove over it at 60 miles an hour. It really whacked that bottom engine cover and left a very large mark, just shy of where the oil drain plug was sitting. That "skid cover" under the engine is only made of soft plastic mind you and will yield when something heavy hits it. Something hanging down from the oil pan is just asking to be knocked off, so never say never.
    I had/have the no spill system on 6 vehicles (including 2 farm tractors) and never had an issues with any leaks.. Due to driving over brush etc, i would never put the fumoto on the tractors.. the no spill is a belt and suspenders type (cap had to be removed, and then the spring depressed for oil to flow)..

The only thing i dont like about the no spill is that you need that drain tube. I am running my first fumoto valves on a Forester and a Lincoln MKX and really like not needing that tube..

brian

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2 View Post
    I had/have the no spill system on 6 vehicles (including 2 farm tractors) and never had an issues with any leaks.. Due to driving over brush etc, i would never put the fumoto on the tractors.. the no spill is a belt and suspenders type (cap had to be removed, and then the spring depressed for oil to flow)..

The only thing i dont like about the no spill is that you need that drain tube. I am running my first fumoto valves on a Forester and a Lincoln MKX and really like not needing that tube..

brian
    Heh, I'm used to using a sort of drain tube on my FJ Cruiser. It has a lousy canister filter setup from hell, not a spin on setup, and you have to remove a small plug at the bottom of the canister, do a hard and quick shove with a fortunately-comes-with-the-new-filter plastic tool, with a hose attached, up into the canister filter just to drain out the filter housing. THEN you have to unscrew the housing. Well, not all the oil comes out with that first step, so I invariably still slop oil all over when I unscrew it. Got my oil bath yet again today just changing the filter. It's such a PITA that I'm seriously thinking of getting a spin on retrofit.

Next oil change victim will be my Crosstrek and I might just dig out that Fumoto valve still sitting in it's box while I'm at it. I do have a question for all those Fumoto users since I'm thinking of using it. How much did you tighten your Fumoto valve and did you use a different seal or gasket when you installed it? The thing is brass after all and you can't tighten it as much as a steel drain plug. I have heard of some users having issues with it loosening.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast