Model Year 2012 to 2017 '15 MT Whine / Squeal 1st gear

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ViperJ07

Thread: '15 MT Whine / Squeal 1st gear

'15 MT Whine / Squeal 1st gear

Hey guys, just started noticing this the other day especially in my garage. I've been hearing the past few days a whine or squeal when I'm releasing the clutch while in first gear. I don't seem to hear it in Neutral or other gears.
    I've only got 45k on it, but is it possible a bearing in the gear or throw out bearing could be having issues? Any way to narrow this down?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wvangelderen View Post
    Hey guys, just started noticing this the other day especially in my garage. I've been hearing the past few days a whine or squeal when I'm releasing the clutch while in first gear. I don't seem to hear it in Neutral or other gears.
    I've only got 45k on it, but is it possible a bearing in the gear or throw out bearing could be having issues? Any way to narrow this down?
    I have a 16 and have the same issue, 36,000 miles. Like you, I just hear it in first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2016 and the Throw Out Bearing went south at 47K. Drove it for 3K before it was diagnosed. Luckily I have Subie Added Security up to 4Y/60K. I also blew the drivers side CV axle with very little hard or off-road driving. Someone said "too many u-turns." Maybe, who knows...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

As a long time Subaru owner and driver of MT cars, it does sound to me like the throw out bearing , best to get a tech to roadtest-diagnose ( it is is covered by Subaru power train warranty) or at least it is in Canada, sadly it is a known weak spot(so I am told )by techs at Subaru.

** Note**

Another driving tip passed along by a Master Subaru tech years ago, "never sit at a stop light, intersection with the clutch pedal depressed... Instead put the transmission in Neutral, use the Hill holder".... Less wear and tear on a poorly designed, Cheap release Bearing..

There is a New redesigned Release bearing for the 12-17 Crosstrek

Also have a listen to the clutch pedal when shifting ( Are you hearing feeling a clicking noise??) There is a TSB to repair/replace this, had these both done on my previous MY 15 5 MT, complained from Delivery, there was no repair until Late 2017.

Hope this helps

Troutbum
    Last edited by troutbum; 05-23-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”
    Francis Bacon

2018 Sunshine Orange Cross Trek Sport (Can) 6 MT "Tigger" 170-6x7 Fast Shibuya 42 mm Bronze wheels, Nokian Rotiiva AT 215-70-16 tires

"In loving memory of my partner of 40 years Tuula RIP Pooks"