Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

'15 MT Whine / Squeal 1st gear

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  troutbum 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just started noticing this the other day especially in my garage. I've been hearing the past few days a whine or squeal when I'm releasing the clutch while in first gear. I don't seem to hear it in Neutral or other gears.
I've only got 45k on it, but is it possible a bearing in the gear or throw out bearing could be having issues? Any way to narrow this down?

#3 ·
I have a 2016 and the Throw Out Bearing went south at 47K. Drove it for 3K before it was diagnosed. Luckily I have Subie Added Security up to 4Y/60K. I also blew the drivers side CV axle with very little hard or off-road driving. Someone said "too many u-turns." Maybe, who knows...

#4 · (Edited)
As a long time Subaru owner and driver of MT cars, it does sound to me like the throw out bearing , best to get a tech to roadtest-diagnose ( it is is covered by Subaru power train warranty) or at least it is in Canada, sadly it is a known weak spot(so I am told )by techs at Subaru.

** Note**

Another driving tip passed along by a Master Subaru tech years ago, "never sit at a stop light, intersection with the clutch pedal depressed... Instead put the transmission in Neutral, use the Hill holder".... Less wear and tear on a poorly designed, Cheap release Bearing..:2cents:

There is a New redesigned Release bearing for the 12-17 Crosstrek

Also have a listen to the clutch pedal when shifting ( Are you hearing feeling a clicking noise??) There is a TSB to repair/replace this, had these both done on my previous MY 15 5 MT, complained from Delivery, there was no repair until Late 2017.

Hope this helps :wink:

Troutbum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.