Shutting down while driving

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shutting down while driving

Shutting down while driving

I have a 2016 Crosstrek automatic and about two months ago I was driving home from a destination that's about 3 hours away. I was on the freeway and had been for over an hour when my car just went completely limp. The accelerator wouldn't work and I had to coast off to the side of the road where I restarted it.
    I had no issues for several weeks so I began to think maybe I was losing my mind and that didn't really happen. But then it did it again. As I was on the freeway and had been for over an hour again it just goes limp. This time I was less panicked and paid close attention. Nothing was on the dash board saying something was wrong, my car still said it was in drive, and when I hit the gas pedal the engine didn't rev; like it wasn't even connected.
    Once again I restarted it and I was fine the rest of the way home. I took it to the dealership and they can't find anything and told me "next time it breaks down to call them and don't turn off my car." But I don't want to go through that again it was stressful!

I saw on here someone else had experienced that but I can't get them to respond. Has anyone out there ever heard of this that can help me? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Now that there are a few of you, I would report it both to Subaru and NHTSA. Hopefully you get it sorted out and hopefully Subaru takes the issue seriously. My Focus had an issue with dying while running when I first got it. Ford started fixing them via TSB and later through a recall. Reports to Ford and NHTSA were responsible for the follow up. When I first got the car, the issue was unresolved. Enough people complained of it that Ford took notice. Looks like something similar might be coming for the new Crosstreks.
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

This isn't specifically Crosstrek related but I had a Mercedes several years ago that did the exact same thing just randomly and it would shut down and we'd coast to the side of the road and after a while we'd be able to start it again and not have problems for months. The dealer was never able to replicate even after keeping it for over a week one time and I think they were beginning to think I was making it up. We finally discovered there was a short in the fuel pump and at random times power to the pump would shut off because of it and with no fuel pumping the car would shut down. Not saying that's what your issue is but it's something that happened as you're describing it and wasn't anything anyone could figure out until they pulled the fuel pump and noticed it had the short.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks to the both of you for your help! I took it back again and they kept it for two weeks and still couldn't find anything. So I will definitely suggest taking a look at the fuel pump if they hadn't.
    And I will certainly take some time to report it to Subaru and NHTSA. Both great suggestions and at least now I feel like I have somewhat of an action plan.
    I just hope if it's an issue with Crosstreks a recall will be coming.

Thanks again!

Do you have the push button start feature? If I remember correctly the other poster with this issue said something about possible interference with the keyless start may be the culprit.
    2017 Forester XT Premium QBP
    Aero Bars, Seat back and Cargo protector, Console tray, Mud guards, Door and Rear Bumper guards
    Husky liners

2014 XV Crosstrek ISM
    Purchased 3/14
    Traded 8/16
    56850 Miles

I've been in a very similar situation twice with my 2015 Crosstrek. Both times after 10 plus hours on the road the gas pedal stopped working and a few seconds later the engine shut off. 1st time at 30-40 MPH and 2nd time at 70 or so MPH. It took me over 1/2 hour to restart the car the 1st time and close to 1 1/2 hour the 2nd time. Car is currently at a Subaru retailer; they haven't found anything wrong yet. I've been lucky so farthat I have not been rear ended but very concerned for my safety. because I take the same road trip every few months with this car.

Update: My Crosstrek has been at the dealership since the the 11th. I was told the throttle sensor was replaced which they think corrected theproblem. They said that since I filed a complaint with Suraru they are now involvedand do not allow the dealership to release the car to me until a technician from Subaru comes down to inspect the car. I got the feeling the throttle sensor was replaced because it was the logical thing to do but not because they really found the problem.

Greetings! I had the same issue that I detailed in a different thread. My car remains at the dealership since July 16. They have never called to update me on any progress. I have called and gotten minimal info like "we are still working on it" and "somebody will call you back" (and never did). I did get them to tell me that the no warning engine shut off did happen to the mechanic. At least they have kept it a long enough time to replicate the problem. As they said, it happened to them, too, but they do not know why. I have an email into the GM of the dealer asking for a response. I also took the advice on saw on this thread and made a NHTSA complaint. If I hear more, I will gladly share.

UPDATE: The email to the General Manager apparently worked. I got a call from both my salesman and a service writer today. They said that someone from New Jersey was going to fly down at some point to take a look at the vehicle. They think it may have something to do with the outdoor temperature - happening when it is very hot outside. They said I could come get my car which has been there for a month, and they would call when the guy from NJ was coming to look at it. Not real happy that my unfixed car is being returned to me and that the prospect of an unanticipated shut-off while I'm driving it again seems highly likely.

Oh my goodness! What's the latest? Did that fix the problem? Thanks for sharing!

And thank you for asking and your willingness to help! I do not have a start button though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast