Shutting down while driving - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shutting down while driving

Here is a cut and paste from my original thread that I just posted. Hope this helps anyone that needs it:

UPDATE: After returning from a out of country trip I was pleased to find out that the field engineer from Subaru had arrived and looked at my car while I was away. The car was ready for me to pick up. The shut down did not occur for the engineer, but as previously stated, it happened to the Subaru mechanic more than once. I'm not a car mechanic so I will just let you know what they put on the service ticket. "Removed the connectors from the control modules and tested pin fit for proper tension. Adjusted pins that did not pass the fit test. Re-installed the connectors and test drove. All working as designed." The Subaru field engineer was named Dan Page. Three hour road trip tomorrow, so I guess the testing will begin. Drove home from the dealer and around town for some errands and all was well. Only 9100 miles, so plenty of warranty left... hope not to need it for anything!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

My 2015 Crosstrek 2.0i is doing this, cutting out while cruising down the highway. When I take it in to get serviced they cant repeat it so they dont fix anything and send me home.
    I am curious how any of these issues have been resolved.

I have experienced this same loss of acceleration with no response to gas pedal while on the highway three times since October 2017 (at around 40,500 miles on my odo) in my 2016 Crosstrek Limited (CVT). In each instance, my car becomes unresponsive to the gas pedal while driving on the highway at +65mph after being on the highway for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3.5 hours, with power on through the incident. I then lose all speed, all warning lights go on, and I pull over and stop the car and shut down. In most cases, I am then able to restart the car and drive off like nothing happened. In the most recent incident, it took about 20 minutes and 4 tries to start over.

In every single case, I had received a routine oil change service about 2 days prior. My mechanic could never identify any issues reported in the computer or recreate the incident and I never reported to Subaru because of the similar incidents I found mentioned in forums saying Subaru had cars for weeks with no real resolution/solution....

After the most recent occurrence of acceleration loss on March 3rd, I learned of Subaru's most recent recall the next day from a family member, who sent me a link to a news site (CBS Boston), which mentions “Subaru says cleaning products containing silicone can emit a gas that can seep into the brake lamp switch and cut off the electrical contact. That can stop the brake lights from working but brakes will still function.
    The automaker says the problem doesn’t happen very often. It has only 33 reports in the U.S.”

I am wondering if my mechanic uses cleaning products containing silicone which were affecting the brake lamp switch and causing these electrical malfunctions.

Is it possible that the recalled brake lamp switch could be contributing to this issue? My car is regularly maintained and in good health other than these serious malfunctions.

I called Subaru recall center and they said they don't have a part yet for the recall. Should I just ask my mechanic to replace the brake lamp switch (I'm hoping they're not too expensive) and see if that fixes the issue rather than waiting for Subaru to figure it out?

This has been the most frustrating thing ever. My brand new (or then it was, at least) Subaru has been the least reliable car I have ever driven. ...

Hoping someone else has had experience with this and has successfully solved electrical malfunctions by replacing the Brake Lamp Switch and can offer their advice and if not, that this recount of my experiences at least helps others identify similar trends for their Subaru issues!

PLEASE HALP,
    I still love my Crosstrek- isn't that sick?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LSUBARU View Post
    I have experienced this same loss of acceleration with no response to gas pedal while on the highway three times since October 2017 (at around 40,500 miles on my odo) in my 2016 Crosstrek Limited (CVT). In each instance, my car becomes unresponsive to the gas pedal while driving on the highway at +65mph after being on the highway for anywhere from 30 minutes to 3.5 hours, with power on through the incident. I then lose all speed, all warning lights go on, and I pull over and stop the car and shut down. In most cases, I am then able to restart the car and drive off like nothing happened. In the most recent incident, it took about 20 minutes and 4 tries to start over.

In every single case, I had received a routine oil change service about 2 days prior. My mechanic could never identify any issues reported in the computer or recreate the incident and I never reported to Subaru because of the similar incidents I found mentioned in forums saying Subaru had cars for weeks with no real resolution/solution....

After the most recent occurrence of acceleration loss on March 3rd, I learned of Subaru's most recent recall the next day from a family member, who sent me a link to a news site (CBS Boston), which mentions “Subaru says cleaning products containing silicone can emit a gas that can seep into the brake lamp switch and cut off the electrical contact. That can stop the brake lights from working but brakes will still function.
    The automaker says the problem doesn’t happen very often. It has only 33 reports in the U.S.”

I am wondering if my mechanic uses cleaning products containing silicone which were affecting the brake lamp switch and causing these electrical malfunctions.

Is it possible that the recalled brake lamp switch could be contributing to this issue? My car is regularly maintained and in good health other than these serious malfunctions.

I called Subaru recall center and they said they don't have a part yet for the recall. Should I just ask my mechanic to replace the brake lamp switch (I'm hoping they're not too expensive) and see if that fixes the issue rather than waiting for Subaru to figure it out?

This has been the most frustrating thing ever. My brand new (or then it was, at least) Subaru has been the least reliable car I have ever driven. ...

Hoping someone else has had experience with this and has successfully solved electrical malfunctions by replacing the Brake Lamp Switch and can offer their advice and if not, that this recount of my experiences at least helps others identify similar trends for their Subaru issues!

PLEASE HALP,
    I still love my Crosstrek- isn't that sick?!
    While it's possible, I would actually focus on the gas pedal itself. All of these new cars are throttle-by-wire in that the gas pedal is only connected electrically to the throttle body so when you press down on the gas, a code is sent to the ECU which in turns tells the throttle to move. If you are getting no reaction from the gas pedal, did your mechanic check the wiring harness connection to the gas pedal to verify that it's tight?

Something similar happened to me several times. But in my case, it always goes into limp mode first then after a while the engine shuts down. On the first occasion, they changed the O2 sensor and the ignition coil. 2nd occasion, they changed the throttle assembly after 3 weeks of observation. 3rd occasion, they said they repaired some wiring and cleaned out my exhaust. For all of these, my car drove well after then limp mode and eventually engine shutdown happens. During all these times, the car starts but stops again in the same instant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2