DIY: TorkLift EcoHitch Bumper Removal Install

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: DIY: TorkLift EcoHitch Bumper Removal Install

DIY: TorkLift EcoHitch Bumper Removal Install

If you decide to go with the bumperless install then here are a few words of wisdom and images from our install. Please excuse the 3M undercoating steps that I took while things were apart.

The handful of under bumper clips and the two fender clips can all be removed first. The bumper uses some type of a pressure retainer eyelet combo. I started with the driver and passenger sides of the bumper. Both seemed to come off easier by applying an upward smooth and slow pressure. **Note the taped painted body, I did this to prevent any DAM (dumb-*** mistake) moments.**

The rear top bumper, just under the hatch, was a pain until I figured out a trick. If you look underneath the inside of the skin you will see six smaller push tabs, those eyelet things again. Take a smooth tool you can actually push them up and pop them out. Be careful, when you start getting towards the end the bumper will start to dance on you.

Once the bumper is off the remainder of the install is follow the directions, they are pretty accurate. I spoke with a TLC rep and they told me that it doesn't matter which way the inner frame black metal plates mount. I took the OCD route and put them the short way in the frame.

I decided to use the largest Dremel cutting wheel that I had and it did an awesome job with a nice smooth and straight cut of the plastic. I did not cut as far as others have, I left a little bit of inner housing for the panel to clip back into. I don't know if this matters but it was something that I chose to do. Two people is an absolute must for getting the hitch in place. I can not figure out how to use a floor jack to get it in place so I asked my neighbor for the 10 minutes of hold time, he obliged.

There are plenty of other threads showing the scanned directions and helpful hints for installing with the trunk method, I simply want to show a few images from our bumper removal install.

Dan

Torklift Bumper Removal Install (1).jpgTorklift Bumper Removal Install (2).jpgTorklift Bumper Removal Install (3).jpgTorklift Bumper Removal Install (4).jpgTorklift Bumper Removal Install (5).jpg
    Last edited by The Hulls; 07-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Remember where you have been because it will help guide where you are going. --DSH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hulls View Post
    Here are the Torklift Scanned Install Directions
    I don't think that you linked to them. I can't get them.

Mike

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast