Applies to All Model Years VxDiag diagnostic tool - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: VxDiag diagnostic tool

Hey Dallas Did you make your own Box Brief case for this set up?? Looks great... what MY Subaru XV to you use this on? I have an MY 17 (year before the MY18 Body shape changes)
    Over here in AU we.... BY DEFAULT do not have the Immobilizer lock unlock chirps and have to get the dealer to plug in to SSM to reinstate it According to the Manual..... One of my pet peeves.
    Would love TPMS too but as far as I now this was never a thing for the AU models unless the newer MY 18 now has it..... I realise I need the devices installed in the actual tires.

And the main question is also....... on that VX Diag site Im looking at it like an idiot but for the money is it just the License? or is the Tool itself part of this price???

http://www.vxdiagshop.com/wholesale/...stic-tool.html

I got a little confused.
    Last edited by Joffa; 03-23-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Subaru XV S MY17
    Crystal White Pearl
    CVT Auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

The system comes with a hard case with foam (pictured in the link you sent also). All I did was dig out some of the foam on the top cover to have a spot for the laptop that I bought. I have a 2014 Impreza that I'm using this on. One word of caution I guess is that the the page you posted lists up to 2016 for compatibility. If its the same body style though, I personally wouldn't be too worried.. If you wanted to have an easier way to return it, I'd try the large online retailer (let me know if you can't find it) versus ordering direct.

You should try the procedure listed (in my manual, anyway) to activate the chirps.

Step 1- Shut all doors and sit in the driver seat.
    Step 2- Hold the rear unlock side of the power door locking switch rocker (on the door itself.)
    Step 3- While still holding the rocker, pull the key out and re-insert it into the ignition switch at least 6 times within 10 seconds.
    Step 4- Open and close the drivers door once within 10 seconds after step 3 is completed.
    Step 5- The hazard warning flashers flash 3 times to indicate completion.

The high grade MFD can change this also, I believe.. But if you have the low grade (like I did) you have to upgrade it, and you need to be at a minimum mechanically inclined to do it.

https://cdn.subarunet.com/stis/doc/o...1417E_STIS.pdf

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...v-limited.html

The link you sent appears to have all of the hardware and software for Subaru. What isn't clear to me, is the difference between the blue and the red tool. The one I bought was red (which is still available from a large online retailer). There is a clear difference between say the yellow and black tools, so there must be a difference between the red and blue. The question would be what vehicle makes can the red vs blue do, which might have some bearing on which one to buy depending on what other vehicles a person has sitting in their garage.

As far as the TPMS, someone else recently had this question (maybe it was you?) but what I would do if you seriously wanted to consider getting it, is look around online on parts websites for different countries. The TPMS receiver in the car is integrated with the keyless entry receiver.. So I would look to see if there are two seperate part #'s, one for with TPMS, and one for without TPMS. If there isn't seperate numbers it MIGHT be as easy as changing the programming and adding the wheel sensors. If there are different part numbers it MIGHT be as easy as replacing the keyless entry receiver, adding the wheel sensors, and changing the programming... But I've never seen anyone who has attempted it, so you'd have to be willing to be the guinea pig.. Additionally, it would be interesting to see if the TPMS light lights up when the warning light output test is conducted using a scan tool.

Thanks Dallas that was great

My MDF is similar to the bottom left in the link you added with the feature set that is listed below it. I have key less entry on my 2016 (MY17) so the key in out and window switch methods you quoted for entry exit Chirp is null and void I did try way back if it would work but it didnt seem to.... Ill do more searching to see if the TPMS is just a matter of adding the sensors to the tires and activating it in the OBD2 port via Diag tool.

Love that MDF swap out thread its amazing what we are prepared to do for a few features in other world markets other than our own

Joffa

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Is this applicable to you? : https://www.johnsonsubaru.com/subaru...t-settings.htm , i.e. do you have the screen pictured? It looks like you can change the setting on there if you have the infotainment.

I purchased the year model relevant to my car of the SERVICE MANUAL and its a biiiiiig PDF but found the section on TPMS just need to see if my combined TPMS Keyless module is actually that....... I thnk and hope that all I need is SSM to activate it to ON and install sensors in wheels and pair them. fingers crossed.

So far, I've been disappointed with this tool. I'll start with the positive things:
    - Most of the individual systems work for monitoring data in real-time
    - I can log tons of data to a CSV for later analysis. Some day I would like to learn R statistical programming

Problems:
    - I'm unable to program TPMS sensors. This is supposed to work by first erasing all 4 tire IDs from memory, then putting the car into learn mode. Then you activate the sensors one at a time with a separate tool. When activated, each sensor transmits its ID and the car learns it. SSM3 successfully erases the memory, but it immediately fails as soon as it enters learn mode. I'm not sure if my activator tool works or not, but I think something is wrong with the software because it should pause for a few seconds to detect the sensors.

- While VxDiag claims to work via WiFi or USB, the WiFi doesn't really work. It connects to the computer and shows up in VxManager, but it's not recognized by SSM3.

- Occupant detection sensor calibration doesn't work. According to the SSM3 user manual, there should be an option under Each System Check > Occupant Detection > System Calibration, but this option does not exist.

- All System Diagnosis mode does not work at all. I'm not exactly sure what this feature does, but it's disappointing that this limitation is not mentioned in the advertisement.

- This isn't documented anywhere, but I figured out that SSM4 will not run unless I set the system clock behind by one year. Not a big deal for me, since the MY-15 uses SSM3.

- The FlashWrite tool which comes bundled in the installer does not include the databases required for ECM programming.

Their sales team is actually fairly responsive to emails, but their response to all of these issues has basically been, "this is normal, have a nice day".

In the case of my 2014, I don’t see anywhere in my service manual about ever needing to calibrate the occupant detection sensor, even for replacement. The service manual says “The seat cushion pad and cushion frame are adjusted as a set at the time of manufacture.”

I’ll try Wi-Fi and see if I have any better luck. I’ve never tried that feature.

When I purchased mine I think it was advertised as only supporting SSMiii. Mine did install SSM IV but I think I tried it and it doesn’t work. Do they advertise ssm iv working? I never saw that they did I guess.

The TPMS thing is a bummer. I’d offer to try my luck but I don’t feel like having the IDs erased and then have to deal with that. The way the service manual talks though there should be a delay after starting the learning process because AFTER starting the learn process it tells you to activate the sensor with the tire tool. Are your sensors actually new? I wonder if it fails if it sees the old sensors still present. (Unfortunately, probably a long shot theory since there is no delay when it attempts to learn.)

I can confirm there is no ECU firmware database, but I guess I never really expected there to be one.

I have no need for SSM4, I just wanted to mention it in case someone didn't know. It's required for 2016 and later cars. The funny thing is, it won't let me run SSM3 until I install SSM4. So it just has to be installed and you don't use it.

Something weird happened with my passenger seat, it occasionally thinks someone is sitting there and the seatbelt warning light comes on. It's happened a few times and I was hoping to be able to fix it. Weird that this is just missing in the software.

My hybrid doesn't come with a spare tire so I added one and bought an aftermarket sensor for it. (I fabricated a swing-away tire carrier on the bumper.) After a 5-tire rotation, now I have 3 OEM sensors on the ground and 1 aftermarket, so the car of course thinks one is missing. I will need to reprogram this after
    every rotation. At this point, I don't know whether my new sensor actually works, but the other 3 certainly do. I'm going to order the ATEQ tool now instead.

By the way, I use an iDataLink Maestro to show all 4 tire pressures and location, it's more useful than the single LED on the dashboard.

The instructions say to run the subaru.exe "patch" first, but I've found no difference whether I have that running or not.
    It seems to run better if I launch through VX Manager, rather than launching SSM3 directly. When switching between WiFi and USB, it prompts me to upgrade or downgrade to a different version, 2016 vs 2019. I'm not sure what this means.

Update: The tool works for programming keys! Just make sure you buy a key which is "unlocked" because that is a separate process not supported by SSM. I bought this one from seller named virginkeys on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCKED-VI...C/332286152770

To my surprise, it didn't even ask for the security immobilizer ID. And process described in SSM3 manual did not work (it says to go into Other Models > Each System Check > Keyless Unit Mode).
    In the menu, I chose Other Models > Immobilizer > Generic Scan Tool > VxDiag > Smart key registration. I just had to hold the existing key up to the start button, then do it again with the new key, and voila! It works with both RF buttons and proximity sensing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2