Model Year 2018 and Newer new SoA Service Manual policy

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: new SoA Service Manual policy

new SoA Service Manual policy

I wanted to get the service manual for my new 2018 Crosstrek, so I signed up for 3 days of access on the Subaru STIS site($35 or so).

Once I got in, I found that there was no downloadable service manual for the 2018, only an interactive online manual.

I figured maybe the pdf manual was just not ready yet, so I called SoA Customer Service, and they investigated it for me. I got an email about it today, saying that going forward, Subaru is moving away from downloadable pdf manuals and going to all interactive online manuals.

Kind of sucks if you don't want to pay for continuous access to the site.

Has anyone else seen or heard about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Some how, I don't doubt that as piracy has been rampant when it comes to electronic service manuals regardless of the manufacturer. The flip side is if they are going to go this way, then they should make the subscription price much more reasonable than what it is now.

I would like to have a physical service manual as well. Can you print from the online one and do you have to pay again and again when you want to use the online one ?
    If so, that would really be a big disappointment
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I would like to have a physical service manual as well. Can you print from the online one and do you have to pay again and again when you want to use the online one ?
    If so, that would really be a big disappointment
    You can print subsections from the online manual. I spent about 6 hours printing as many of them as I thought would be useful to PDF files.

But there was a lot that I didn't print-maybe about half of the information in total. It was just too difficult.

And yes, you would need to pay again if you wanted access again. My 3 days has run out, and I can;t get in any longer.

I have an inquiry in with SoA to see if there is a way to download the entire online manual, and I'll post here when I get their answer.

....ya' know, some people (like me) think it was reasonable for manufacturers to charge money for their service manuals when they had to go to all the expense of printing and shipping them; but that with PDF manuals, they should give them away at no charge...

Thanks Wander
    I find it pure greed to keep charging. What a pita.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

dont mean to necro this thread but it seems the most recent; i just got my new 2018 crosstrek so i'm going to be getting the service manual.

i'm going to try using a tool that is designed to create a mirror of a site and see if i can grab the entirety of the service manual.

if it works i dont mind packaging it into a single PDF with bookmarks and uploading it for anyone who wants a copy.
    or creating a offline version of the interactive manual and packaging it into a zip so youd just load the offline files in a browser

Super Moderator
    Please be aware of copyright issues with republishing the document.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast