Locked out of Car

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Locked out of Car

Locked out of Car

Started the XV up. Let It run. Got out of car to scrap the Snow off. The car automatically locked the doors. I head them lock. I was locked out of the car with the car running. According to the manual the car as a feature which is supposed to prevent one from being able to lock the keys in.
    Luckily I was home and could get another key to open door.
    Anyone else had this problem? Any solution?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I do remember reading about someone else who had this problem when they got out of the running car to check a mailbox. No solution that I recall. I do this with my XTrek all the time and have not been locked out [yet]. I keep my snow brush in the back seat, so I always hit the button on the door to unlock all doors before I close my driver door, don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm paranoid about this. I locked myself out of a work car once right before quitting time. It was very annoying especially to the guy that had to drive to me to bail me out. Now what I do is before closing the front door I always open the back door just to be sure. When it isn't freezing out I crack the window enough so I could manually on lock if need be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I was always concerned that same thing would happen to me so for the last few years if I ever leave the car running and get out of it for any reason I make sure the driver's window is down. It gives me one less thing to worry about.
    "Nothing stops the Rhino"

2013 XV Crosstrek
    Ice Silver Metallic, CVT
    Limited with nav & sunroof & leather

The mailbox person was me, and I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy. I've decided that maybe -- just maybe -- I could have accidentally bumped the lock switch inside before I got out. But, if so, that's the only time I've ever done it.

Anyway, I try not to latch the door when I get out with the keys inside. But -- duh -- opening the window is even a better approach. HPH

So, we want the anti-carjacking safety feature on the car door locks, or not?

I never trust technology as it has a mind of it's own sometimes. The door always stays open or a window down when the key is in the ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by nickypooh View Post
    So, we want the anti-carjacking safety feature on the car door locks, or not?
    I`m in Maine what`s carjacking

The XV has a feature that is supposed to prevent one from locking their keys in the car. Start your car. Open the door. Press the door lock button. The car will automatically unlock the door.
    However in this case the lock system did a strange thing by locking the doors when I left the drivers seat to scrape the windows. It locked the doors after the door was closed and I was outside cleaning.
    Like others discussing this, I now do not trust the door lock system on the XV.

Argh, I had the same problem last night when I got out of work at 1:30 a.m when it was 12 degrees. I started it to warm up, as I'd done many times before without issue, buuuut this time as soon as I closed the door, I heard the locks go.....**** Thought I had starlink, but turns out I didn't have the upgraded service, after 1 hr. on the phone, I was able to add it and they remotely opened the doors. Wow, guess I gotta make some changes to my start ups....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast