Model Year 2018 and Newer Crack in my windshield as well as other small chips

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Crack in my windshield as well as other small chips

Crack in my windshield as well as other small chips

Is it likely that the dealership will replace a windshield under warranty? Just got a small star from a stone and there's a few very minor chips in other areas. I feel like having numerous chips in only 2 months is a little suspicious..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Ugh..Sorry for this happening. I doubt that any dealer will replace a windshield due to stone chips. Depending on the type of insurance you have, it may be covered under insurance.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

You can also fill it yourself. The kits are only about $12. I found that they work just as well as the $45 fill at a glass shop.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Mine developed a crack mid center from the bottom. Came up about 4 " turned toward the passenger side and within a few weeks, ran all the way across to passenger side pillar.

Since I saw online, a lot of cases of warranty work. Ones with the heat strip. Figured why not. So I let the wife carry it in. They told her it did not have the heat strip.

So I carried it to a local longtime shop in my area. Told them I wanted the options it had on the replacement. They ordered it local and I carried it back in that evening. They had the old one out before noticing it had the heat strip. Had one of those also but took a couple of hours getting it.

My dealer just got out of doing it under warranty. It had no hits. Got to look close to see the heat strip.
    Loud exhaust doesn't keep Norman from cutting you .....Watching out for him does..Love MOM
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek Primum 2.0 i out of Hampton Roads Virginia...Caution. Post is just my 70 year old opinion. Not mean to sound like I am telling anyone what to do. And is only my opinion for first post. Please do not quote or cookie cut. I respect all opinions and yours for you is what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
    You can also fill it yourself. The kits are only about $12. I found that they work just as well as the $45 fill at a glass shop.
    Didn't realize something like in the picture can be repaired over just replaced. Thanks I'll look into it

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOROFL View Post
    Is it likely that the dealership will replace a windshield under warranty? Just got a small star from a stone and there's a few very minor chips in other areas. I feel like having numerous chips in only 2 months is a little suspicious..

What is suspicious about having numerous chips in only 2 months? Chips are not manufacturing issues, but rock or pebble issues ... usually resulting from driving close to the dump truck in front of you. Or even too close to the car in front of you kicking up rocks/pebbles dropped from a truck.
    2018 Crosstrek 2.0i Premium, Sunshine Orange w/ Eyesight, Moonroof, Homelink Mirror, Change Assist, Blindspot Detection, Whippet in cargo area

Just be aware that Eyesight requires a specific windshield ...should it come to that.

Also ES apparently doesn't get along with certain coatings, etc. Rainex...that sort of thing.

My 2¢

~Bob
    2015 Premium/Eyesight option package#14. Quartz Blue, Ivory Int. purchased 5/21/15. Built 3/2015.

Quote Originally Posted by macryan View Post
    Just be aware that Eyesight requires a specific windshield ...should it come to that.

Also ES apparently doesn't get along with certain coatings, etc. Rainex...that sort of thing.

My 2¢

~Bob
    All good advice for anyone here.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Does the Crosstrek has an acoustic windshield like the Forester? If so many Forester owners have been reporting fragile windshield problems:
    https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...thread-780995/

My first post yay!

First things first: I live in Anchorage Alaska and drive down the highway every day about 5mi to and from work. There are many rocks in the winter. Many, many rocks... 😑. Within 1 MONTH of buying my 2018 last January, I had a crack running about 3/4 the height of the windshield, from the base to where the rear view mirror attaches. In that same time I had another crack develop, about 1 foot in length curving along the bottom left side of my windshield. And then to top it off there were 3 or 4 other chips.
    I’ve had 3 other Subaru’s, and NEVER seen a windshield chip so often. Maybe I’m just super unlucky... but my 2003 forester I drove up here for over a year only had maybe 2 chips total. I heard many rocks hit, but they bounced off without doing damage. Now I swear, 4 out of 5 rocks I hear hit my windshield leave a mark. Right now I’ve got probably a dozen chips and those same two cracks. It’s madness.
    My 2 cents... either the windshields are weak on these baby’s, or maybe there’s too much tension on the windshield from when it was installed. I read about that somewhere in a similar post on this forum... could be a thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast