Model Year 2012 to 2017 New Recall - Brake Light Switch - Page 5

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Recall - Brake Light Switch

I set up an appointment. It's in a couple weeks.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by djriful View Post
    I didn't get any letters but I called the dealership, verified that mine indeed in recall.
    Subaru Canada is a little SSSLLLLOOOWWWWWWW when it comes to recalls...

Just spoke with the dealer and booked an appointment to have it replaced in late May!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Got my letter yesterday and went in today to make an appointment. My Subaru dealership is just a few minutes away and I was driving that way anyway. I know the techs pretty well because I am an Ambassador. He gave me a mid May appointment and said there were several recalls currently and they were getting pretty well booked. He took the time to tell me he thought SOA was handling everything well, paying the dealers for everything, and giving loaners to whomever asked for them, all on SOA's dime. Gave me more confidence that I picked the right vehicle for a long term purchase.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Received my recall notices and scheduled both the Crosstrek and the Forester for the repair.

Got my letter Friday and my dealer will be replacing in a week. But doesn't this seem to be a pretty sketchy reason for a switch to fail (in the link below)? Silicon dioxide corrosion from consumer cleaning products? WTF? What products are they talking about, or are they just trying to cast blame for using cheap metal in their switch contacts? I'd think that using gold flashed contacts in the first place would've been a hell of a lot cheaper than going through a massive recall to replace a ton of cheaply produced switches, especially since this switch can cause such a myriad of issues when it fails. Cost cutting gets them every time.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...h-recall.shtml

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Got my letter Friday and my dealer will be replacing in a week. But doesn't this seem to be a pretty sketchy reason for a switch to fail (in the link below)? Silicon dioxide corrosion from consumer cleaning products? WTF? What products are they talking about, or are they just trying to cast blame for using cheap metal in their switch contacts? I'd think that using gold flashed contacts in the first place would've been a hell of a lot cheaper than going through a massive recall to replace a ton of cheaply produced switches, especially since this switch can cause such a myriad of issues when it fails. Cost cutting gets them every time.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...h-recall.shtml
    You may be confusing issue here...While you are connect that gold plated contacts will address most contact corrosion issues, that wasn't the issue in this case. The contacts were coated with oxidized silicone NOT that there was silicon dioxide (which is basically quartz or sand) corrosion with the contacts.

I suspect that some cleaners or treatments used not in the manufacturing process but maybe during transport (in the freighter from Japan) or at the dealership did some off gassing of silicone residue which was then deposited on the contacts. There may be a bit of arching in the switch itself as the brakes are pressed causing the conditions required to oxidize the silicone that was deposited on the contacts themselves. After a while, the layer of oxidized silicone was thick enough to interefer with the electrical switching.

The only real way to prevent this problem isn't just by using gold plated contacts but to have a sealed switching mechanism so that the silicone off gasses given off by what every it was won't have a chance to deposit itself on the contacts itself.

Just got mine done. In and out in 40 minutes, free wifi, complimentary car wash,
    donut, and coffee. Thank you Subaru.
    Subaru Ambassador - 2017 Limited, Venetian Red Pearl, Eyesight, Nav, moonroof, keyless entry, auto dimming rear view mirror with Homelink and compass, pushbutton start, Kicker powered sub, rear JL Audio C2 525x coaxials, JL Audio C2-650 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System up front, under seat Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by FLCrosstrekker View Post
    Just got mine done. In and out in 40 minutes, free wifi, complimentary car wash,
    donut, and coffee. Thank you Subaru.
    How was the donut and how was the coffee? No IPA?
    In honor of Félicette, the first cat in space!

2018 Dark Grey Crosstrek Limited "Véronique", w/EyeSight, Nav, etc. (Packages #3 & #23) HU firmware Rel_U0.18.43.20

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast