Model Year 2012 to 2017 New Recall - Brake Light Switch - Page 4

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Recall - Brake Light Switch

I had the switch replaced earlier this week and all the starting issues I've been plagued with over the last year are gone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bignick View Post
    I had the switch replaced earlier this week and all the starting issues I've been plagued with over the last year are gone!
    Wow! That's amazing considering you experienced NONE of the standard brake light switch issues!

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    Wow! That's amazing considering you experienced NONE of the standard brake light switch issues!
    TOKYO: Subaru on Thursday (Feb 28) announced a global recall of 2.2 million SUVs, the biggest ever for the company, over a brake light glitch that could affect how the vehicle engines start.

The models affected are the 2014-2016 Model Year (MY) Forester, 2011-2014MY WRX (4-Door), 2008-2016MY Impreza and 2012-2017MY Subaru XV.

This, from a link I got in this thread. Another link I read stated the faulty switch can effect the ignition system. The Subaru service writer I spoke with on Monday wanted to charge me $125 as a diagnostic fee to try to isolate my starting issues with no guarantee any solution could be found. Once diagnosed, the fix or repair would be on the clock and parts needed or used charged for as well, still with no guarantee the final outcome would cure the issue. It's paying for their best guess, and according to him, no one has heard of this specific difficult starting issue. As a tech myself, I say BS! And of course I refused his offer for the diagnosis. He understood and agreed when I said there are some issues that remain unsolved in vehicle repair.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I got the letter today that my car is part of the recall. It's not something I'm all that worried about, but I'll have it done someday soon.
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Made an appointment to have it changed on May 3rd. The letter said, it will not start using the start button, if the brake light doesn't light.
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

I have a double header coming up on the 16th. My wife's '14 for the recall, and my '19 for it's first service.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHAWK View Post
    Made an appointment to have it changed on May 3rd. The letter said, it will not start using the start button, if the brake light doesn't light.

Does that only apply to the Limited keyless start option?
    2016 Quartz Blue Pearl Premium CVT.

Personalized with:
    Interior: LED lighting, auto dimming mirror, dashcam, trim rings on climate knobs.
    Exterior: Window visors, pin stripe, side molding, RokBlokz mudflaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Does that only apply to the Limited keyless start option?
    If your letter didn't mention it, it doesn't apply to your model.
    2016 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White / Black leather
    (GRD - 23) Moonroof Package W/Navigation/Eyesight
    Auto-dim Mirror/Homelink + Alarm/shock sensor + Side moldings

Polk Audio DB651 front speakers + de Auto Key 5000k HID kit
    Alla Lighting LED backup 921 800 Lumen
    Philips 9011 HIR1 Diode Dynamics XML2 5000k Fog Lights
    SpyTec A118-C Dash Cam

I didn't get any letters but I called the dealership, verified that mine indeed in recall.

Backstory: in early April I got the dreaded warning lights and no cruise control. Removed the switch and cleaned out all the carbon and grease. Reinstalled the switch and lights went out and all functions returned to normal.

I made an appointment (Tindol Subaru, Gastonia,NC) to have my switch replaced earlier this month. Dropped it off Easter Sunday evening and set a reminder on my phone to call Monday morning at 8:30 to verify all was good. My phone rang at 8:15AM on Monday, Service Manager at Tindol. He said "Your Crosstrek is ready to be picked up." When I got the car back I noticed an invoice inside: "No Charge" and a laundry list of things they checked and fluid they topped off. I'll be using this dealer again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast