Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

New Recall - Brake Light Switch

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
20K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  Everglade 
#1 ·
I'm surprised no one has commented on the new recall just announced.

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/subaru-big-recall-forester-impreza-brakes/65644/

The stated issue seems very minor and, at the moment, only involves the Forester and Impreza but as our Crosstreks are basically tall Imprezas we might get the call as well.

I think this recall typifies the approach Subaru has to quality. Even though "No accidents or incidents have been reported as a result of this issue." Subaru is prepared to face major cost and bad PR for the sake of prudency.

#2 ·
Have to keep an eye on that one, thanks.

#5 ·
Thanks so much for Posting, as others have said this has proven to be a minor annoyance in the past, and should be a quick fix, once updated parts are available.

Have a great weekend

Troutbum

#11 ·
Wish we had a campaign number. I stumbled into the SoA recall website, buried inside the same address that hosts their paid tech data site, and several other interesting domains, but you need to know the number, such as wua86 (the big Harman recall number).

#13 ·
Subaru probably changed the part number with the newly sourced part to make it easy for identification of the defective part. You can just look on parts.subaru.com for the part on the older models and check to see if that same part number is used in the newer generation.

#29 ·
2013-2017 crosstrek recall. is your car affected?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/subaru-recall-brake-lights-problem-1.5040520

I emailed Subaru Canada with my Vin, they said my specific car isn't affected. However, in the past my VSC, ABS, and traction control light would turn on. From what I read online, this is a related matter.

Would do you guys think? is your specific car affected?

#30 · (Edited)
Just wanted to add to the comments, for lunch my VCS, ABS & Traction lights came on a few times and I found this thread when I got home (a simple turn the engine on & off cleared them btw). I found the recall page & my 2016 Crosstrek was on the list so I called the 1-844-373-6614 number, gave them my VIN and learned mine is on the list. Parts are apparently being shipped this week and I'm supposed to wait for communication from Subaru when to schedule a fix.
I mentioned that I'm getting the warning but she said I was okay driving and to wait for further instructions. For what it's worth, I also mentioned that I'm about to go over 60k miles and she assured me this is a recall and there is no out of pocket to me once the parts are delivered to my area dealership.

UPDATE: it started getting worse. I'd have to turn my car on and off a few times before I could switch out of park so I finally called my local dealership... they said to come right in, they had the switch & it was an easy fix

#34 ·
I got the letter today that my car is part of the recall. It's not something I'm all that worried about, but I'll have it done someday soon.

#35 ·
Made an appointment to have it changed on May 3rd. The letter said, it will not start using the start button, if the brake light doesn't light.

#37 ·
Does that only apply to the Limited keyless start option?

#40 ·
Backstory: in early April I got the dreaded warning lights and no cruise control. Removed the switch and cleaned out all the carbon and grease. Reinstalled the switch and lights went out and all functions returned to normal.

I made an appointment (Tindol Subaru, Gastonia,NC) to have my switch replaced earlier this month. Dropped it off Easter Sunday evening and set a reminder on my phone to call Monday morning at 8:30 to verify all was good. My phone rang at 8:15AM on Monday, Service Manager at Tindol. He said "Your Crosstrek is ready to be picked up." When I got the car back I noticed an invoice inside: "No Charge" and a laundry list of things they checked and fluid they topped off. I'll be using this dealer again.

#44 ·
Got my letter yesterday and went in today to make an appointment. My Subaru dealership is just a few minutes away and I was driving that way anyway. I know the techs pretty well because I am an Ambassador. He gave me a mid May appointment and said there were several recalls currently and they were getting pretty well booked. He took the time to tell me he thought SOA was handling everything well, paying the dealers for everything, and giving loaners to whomever asked for them, all on SOA's dime. Gave me more confidence that I picked the right vehicle for a long term purchase.

Reactions: Cutlass
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.