Applies to All Model Years Average cost of a full wrap?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By stupidchicken03
  • 1 Post By OldEvoOwner
  • 1 Post By OldEvoOwner
  • 2 Post By wrxKWONDO

Thread: Average cost of a full wrap?

Average cost of a full wrap?

I've been researching doing a full vinyl wrap on my '16 Quartz Blue Pearl. Probably not custom graphics, just a color change. I'm leaning toward something like the attached pic.

Some of the early estimates I've been given are way higher than I was expecting. I realize that you get what you pay for in most cases, but I don't want to be a rube and overpay. I'm curious if anyone has wisdom or experience to share. How much have you paid? Were you happy/not happy with the result and why? Any recommendations in the West Michigan neighborhood? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Like you said, you get what you pay for. It also depends on location.

Ive heard quote here in Northern California for $3-5000 for a basic job.

Figure the material is cheap, and 95% of the cost is labor.

Thanks. The first estimate I got was $4500 for a basic wrap not including jambs, which was a bit of a shock. Not even sure that included the material. This was a 3M recommended installer. I assume I can find someone to do it for less, but the 'get what you pay for' thing is certainly a concern. I guess I'll just take my time and try to find an installer that has a good rep but is a bit more affordable. My problem is that I am on the west coast of Michigan, so my choices may be limited.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Buddy of mine got his done for relatively cheap around 3 or so and it was horrible. Overlapping sections all over the place. Don't feel discouraged from a high estimate, always realize when people charge more it Includes quality and all the other expenses of maintaining a good business. You can always get the cheap guy to tell you well there's only a one month warranty as opposed to life time as an example. Also look into how long the business has been around to ensure you have someone to blame after the job is done (if something comes up).

I think I have found a local installer with good reviews on FB and Google who will do the job for about 3 grand (no jambs, +$1800 for that). I can live with 3k and uncovered jambs I think - that's much closer to what I originally thought it might cost. BUT... I did see today on the 3M website that leaving a wrap on for longer than 3 years can be problematic if you want to remove it. Anyone have an experience with that? Also, has anyone opted for a protective coating on top of the wrap, and/or any issues with car washing?

Quote Originally Posted by djjackson13 View Post
    I think I have found a local installer with good reviews on FB and Google who will do the job for about 3 grand (no jambs, +$1800 for that). I can live with 3k and uncovered jambs I think - that's much closer to what I originally thought it might cost. BUT... I did see today on the 3M website that leaving a wrap on for longer than 3 years can be problematic if you want to remove it. Anyone have an experience with that? Also, has anyone opted for a protective coating on top of the wrap, and/or any issues with car washing?
    It would be problematic when you have old paint and don't have much of a clear coat left. Paint can come up and off and it would require you to have to get it painted again. There is a coat of a special type of sealant you can apply before wrapping it that may help and I would definitely get it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEvoOwner View Post
    It would be problematic when you have old paint and don't have much of a clear coat left. Paint can come up and off and it would require you to have to get it painted again. There is a coat of a special type of sealant you can apply before wrapping it that may help and I would definitely get it.
    Good to know. Paint is like new. Thanks for the tip on the sealant.

Just throwing in my 2 cents... If you have a lot of spare time, you can do it for 600 bucks + a hundred or so in tools and random crap. You can do it a panel at a time, in your spare time.
    3m vinyl is just meh, its ok. I would use Oracal, Avery, or Vivvid before 3m on most things. Unless blacking out your trim, because thats easiest to find in 3m. Most people don't wrap the door jams. Thats a ton of extra work for little return.
    I'll be wrapping mine once i get an imperfection in the paint. I have a roll laying around because I was going to wrap my bugeye, and then it was totaled.
    Another thing to note, is if you're looking at the color change/chameleon style. They are usually quite a bit thicker. Which seems to provide a bit more protection. I would not recommend matte finishes, or even satin really. Just go gloss. You'll thank yourself later.

Here's an Oracal Gloss Aubergine Bronze Outback I helped with a while back.
    IMG_20181117_202847.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wrxKWONDO View Post
    Just throwing in my 2 cents... If you have a lot of spare time, you can do it for 600 bucks + a hundred or so in tools and random crap. You can do it a panel at a time, in your spare time.
    3m vinyl is just meh, its ok. I would use Oracal, Avery, or Vivvid before 3m on most things. Unless blacking out your trim, because thats easiest to find in 3m. Most people don't wrap the door jams. Thats a ton of extra work for little return.
    I'll be wrapping mine once i get an imperfection in the paint. I have a roll laying around because I was going to wrap my bugeye, and then it was totaled.
    Another thing to note, is if you're looking at the color change/chameleon style. They are usually quite a bit thicker. Which seems to provide a bit more protection. I would not recommend matte finishes, or even satin really. Just go gloss. You'll thank yourself later.

Here's an Oracal Gloss Aubergine Bronze Outback I helped with a while back.
    IMG_20181117_202847.jpg
    Wow that's cool. The 3M Series 1080 Gloss Flip films I'm looking at are a chameleon style wrap that would look similar to the pic you shared with a slightly different color palette. I'll have a look at the other brands you mentioned. Not sure I'm up to attempting a full wrap on my own as a first project, but it is good to know that it can be done DIY. Thanks for all the tips!

Pulled the trigger on a full wrap of my 2016 Quartz Blue Pearl using 3M Series 1080 Gloss Flip Deep Space film. The final estimate came in around $3k without jambs, including front and rear lens smoke and a couple of interior and grille accents with the color. This pic is the best representation I could find of what I hope it will ultimately look like. It is a three-color (blue/bronze/purple) chameleon film. I'll post the finished job in a few weeks.DLUbbwhXoAIcT4j.jpg