Model Year 2018 and Newer Choice of Windshield Wash Fluid

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Choice of Windshield Wash Fluid

Choice of Windshield Wash Fluid

I may need to add window wash fluid between dealer service visits.

Ordinarily I’d pick up wash fluid at Walmart without a thought, but that was for older cars.

Is there any good reason to buy Subaru window wash fluid (if there is such a thing) vs another brand?

(Why would I ask such a possibly foolish question? Well, I suddenly had to buy some engine coolant for the Forester. Ordinarily I’d pick that up at Walmart, too. However, I’d read there was controversy about sticking to Subaru “Blue” which I opted to do. Made me wonder if something as simple as window wash fluid had some OEM properties I needed to consider. An issue that’s never come up since the window wash supply in the car always lasted until the next service call when the Subaru tech would top it off again.)

2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i (delivered Aug 03,2016) ... Eyesight, Nav
    2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (delivered Oct 05, 2018) ... Eyesight, Nav

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Hi Cap'n, I'm pretty ocd with my cars and not much with most other things. I have always used anything that is good to below -27 degrees all my life without a preference to the brand. With that said, I have never encountered a problem. Currently, my Crosstrek has 19,000 miles on her and use what I stated above without any issues. Years ago I tried Rain-X which does allow water to bead up and roll upwards as you drive. The problem I found was that when the Rain-X's ability to perform diminishes, it then begins to streak the windshield. Due to that issue I have never gone back to using Rain-X. I can not imagine that a Subaru labeled window fluid is anything more than a generic brand with a Subaru label slapped on.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

I use the blue stuff found everywhere on sale but i'm cheap so I cut it roughly in half with water.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    I use the blue stuff found everywhere on sale but i'm cheap so I cut it roughly in half with water.
    I guess that works in a temperate climate. Up here it would be a disaster in the making.
    Wool When Wet Is Warm
    2018 Limited (S) Ice Silver Metallic, Package 23, CVT, August 11, 2017

Yeah, I already had problems with freezing from the stock fluid when it snowed here. Already filling with the 0 degree F fluid with rain x. Been using that for years and love it (it’s orange colored fluid).

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
    I guess that works in a temperate climate. Up here it would be a disaster in the making.
    yeah I know. I have lived up there and in fact was born there

Blue stuff. Doesn't really matter what brand. They usually put it on sale around here right after winter. I'll grab a 6 pack of gallon jugs and that's enough for our three cars for a year.

I make my own. 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol, About 1 tbsp of dish detergent (some are stronger than others), top the rest of the gallon off with water. The alcohol helps with streaking, and more can be added to help keep from freezing in colder temps.

Seems like people can't make the simplest "life" decisions anymore. Sorry, just how I see it.
    18' Prem Crosstrek - Ice Silver Metallic
    04' Nissan Titan
    18' Beta 300RR
    11' KTM450
    06' KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by Dougjc View Post
    Seems like people can't make the simplest "life" decisions anymore. Sorry, just how I see it.
    Just someone looking for advice on a subject they're not familiar with. Asking questions is how we learn.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast