Can't use tire chains? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can't use tire chains?

I never needed chains and I live right near the mountains. It can snow a lot here and that is one reason I fit more aggressive tires on the XV that is a replacement for my Jeep seen in this pic. BTW, I've only been passed twice in bad snow storms while driving my Jeep, both times in an Outback with a woman driving. I knew then a Subaru would be my next vehicle.

big snow.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dabuttrumpet View Post
    Will these work?

Thule CS-10 - Thule
    did anyone ever get an answer to you Dab?

I have 10 mm Konig Magic chains, which are similar to the Thule, and use them with no problems on my Yokohama OEM tyres.

Only thing about 10mm chains, are that you have to be careful not to get a kink.
    If you have a kink in the chain, it becomes a 20mm chain, and you will hear knocking noises coming from the tyre well when you're driving.

Quote Originally Posted by nickypooh View Post
    I have 10 mm Konig Magic chains, which are similar to the Thule, and use them with no problems on my Yokohama OEM tyres.

Only thing about 10mm chains, are that you have to be careful not to get a kink.
    If you have a kink in the chain, it becomes a 20mm chain, and you will hear knocking noises coming from the tyre well when you're driving.
    That's actually very helpful Nicky thanks. I have a question into Subaru as well asking them specifically if the 10mm clearance will be an issue. I doubt that it will but figured I'd ask. In our USA manuals it does say that we can not use chains, but leaves a caveat that "use of another traction device, such as spring chains may be acceptable..." not knowing if these Thule chains fit into that category I thought I'd ask.

In Austria (and I am sure it will be the same in Switzerland and Germany) the manual for the XV (and Impreza) says that it is allowed to use chains, but only on the front wheels.

We have a lot of roads in the mountains where in the winter you have to use chains if there is too much snow (at least for 2wd cars ;-).

As a matter of fact, I do own chains, but until now I only used them to learn how to attach them - even though I do a lot of ski mountaineering and drive a lot on roads where 2wd cars have absolutely no chance without chains (as I know too well from my own experiences).

It was not even a problem to continue driving when somtimes I had to stop behind a car where they were putting on the chains after trying how it would be without - and (I have to admit this) it sometimes was a real pleasure to see the faces of the BMW etc owners when they noticed I could restart easily with NO chains on my wheels :-)

I realize that in some places you have to carry them, but a studless winter tire can be very capable. The reason I bought the XV was the ground clearance. Around here(northern New England) it can snow enough in one night to fill up that 8.7 inches of ground clearance the XV enjoys. Studless ice and snow tires represent a small compromise in wet weather traction for what you get on snow and ice. My 2 cents

Well I heard back from Subaru, and While I'll give them points for the quick response, I have to deduct those point back for not providing any useful information.... :

"Thank you for your email. Congratulations on your purchase of a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek!

Cable-type chains may be used on your vehicle as long as they clear all steering, braking, suspension and body components. Our Engineers have not evaluated the THULE CS-10 sz 103. My suggestion is to try test-fitting these to a front and rear wheel and checking for any interference. As long as they clear all the components mentioned you should be fine.

If you find that this product works well, please let us know. Best Wishes!

Sincerely,

Grant Noble
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)"

The KÖNIG (german company) Magic Chains (that nickypooh mentioned) would surely be a very good choice.

Or the PEWAG (austrian company) Servo Chains (that I have bought, because they are rather easy to mount and do not need to to be tightened manually). On pewag, Inc. - USA there is also a 'wizard' that will bring up chains that have been tested successfully & evaluated for the XV.

Both are high quality products (and not cheap), but have been recommended in all test reports I have read last year before buying my traction chains.

Under warm and dry conditions it may seem that easy mounting is not an important thing, but in the winter, maybe even in a bad weather, it surely is (in my opinion).

Sadly, our cabin is up in Big Bear Lake, and not only are carrying chains mandatory but there are CHP checkpoints after snow conditions are called to make sure you have them on. Coming from western NY, people often said, oh you must be used to having to drive with chains. I shock them by telling them that I first used chains driving to Big Bear.

Of course, you can get around that by putting snow tires on all four corners for all but the worst conditions.

Looking into the Thule units, if only for their ease of use and the fact my son may be able to get a discount on an order through his kayak shop.

Never had a problem with standard chains on the front tires of the Outback.