Can't use tire chains? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Can't use tire chains?

I guess I didn't give the whole story. "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle because of lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body." And: "Note: When chains cannot be used, use of another type of traction device (such as spring chains) may be acceptable if use on your vehicle is recommended by the device manufacturer...."

There's about an inch and a half clearance between the tire and the edge of the fender at the front of the wheel arch. If a chain loosened in use it would certainly tear up the moldlng on the edge of the opening.

So, I guess we have to find "spring chains" of some sort. Hmmmm.

2013 XV Ice Silver CVT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

When chains are fitted, drive slowly at 25mph/40kph, don't go off the main road, and the tyre wall should be fine.
    Also, after fitting the chains, always drive a few metres, stop the car, get out and inspect the chains are fully tensioned.

Otherwise, ...suggest to get some AutoSocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpro View Post
    I guess I didn't give the whole story. "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle because of lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body." And: "Note: When chains cannot be used, use of another type of traction device (such as spring chains) may be acceptable if use on your vehicle is recommended by the device manufacturer...."

There's about an inch and a half clearance between the tire and the edge of the fender at the front of the wheel arch. If a chain loosened in use it would certainly tear up the moldlng on the edge of the opening.

So, I guess we have to find "spring chains" of some sort. Hmmmm.

2013 XV Ice Silver CVT
    The clearance to the strut tower is probably tighter, I'm trying to research if class S cable chains like the SCC Super Z6 is ok to use on the XV. Size SZ139 is supposed to fit 225/55-17 and takes up only 1/4" on the inside evidently...

Where can I buy Konig Magic quick fit chains or other suitable chains for XV Subaru. I live in Brisbane but will be driving down to Vic and NSW for skiing. Jennifer

In Melbourne, these guys are the best in the business: Roof Carrier Systems | Roof racks, ski, bike and luggage carriers...and more!

Or you can hire or buy a set of chains at the ski hire shops at the small village townships near the mountains, like at Bright, Mansfield. Jindabyne.

Which ski resorts are you planning to visit first?

Quote Originally Posted by HikingDrew View Post
    The clearance to the strut tower is probably tighter, I'm trying to research if class S cable chains like the SCC Super Z6 is ok to use on the XV. Size SZ139 is supposed to fit 225/55-17 and takes up only 1/4" on the inside evidently...
    I just did a test fit of SCC Super Z6 Size SZ139s on my Crosstrek, with 225/55-17 tires. These chains wrap around the back side of the tire, and they DO RUB against the strut tower. There is no way that this will even come close to working. Despite the fact that the SCC Super Z6 chains beat the "S" class rating, they won't work--not on my Crosstrek. I am going to look into snow sock-type options, or something like the Thule K-Summit or RUD Centrax. I believe that there are a couple of other options like the K-Summit and Centrax out there; I can't recall what they are. If anyone knows, please post.

Well after 30 years in Vermont, if I didn't need chains for this, I sure did not need no stinkin' chains, lol

However here in sunny Florida, chains are only required for trips through the Everglades to beat on the stray Alligator.

paul

I have driven through 2 ft of snow with my all my prior Subarus with Blizzacks. I have never been stuck. Just go slow. I will be getting dedicated Ice & Snow tires for my XV this winter.

Jennifer if you are coming from brisbane have your chains before you get to jindabyne,i drive coaches and have had to put the chains on just before entering jindabyne rare i know but it can happen.