New 1 wheel/tire or do I buy 4 Tires

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By troutbum
  • 1 Post By rlouie

Thread: New 1 wheel/tire or do I buy 4 Tires

I got into a front-end accident (my fault I won't bore you with the details) with my 2014 XV Crosstrek. The auto body shop said one rim and tire were
    damaged and they put in for a replacement on the repair estimate. I know you are supposed to replace all 4 tires at the same time due to the
    differential but the guy insists that the insurance companies almost never pay for 4 if one is damaged. The car has about 53K miles on it but the
    Geolandar really only have about 25K miles because I use snow tires from November to March. The guy says the tread on the others are like new.

The replacement tire (Geolandar) is $220. My tire source company can get me Continental General UltraMax RT43 for $117/ea with a $50 rebate so
    the net would be an additional $300 (mounting and balancing are included). I don't know whether to go with the one tire and take a chance on the AWD
    being ok with it or buy the 4 for a piece of mind.

Any advise (other than no accidents)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

You are not Allowed MORE THAN 2-3/32nd's difference in Tread Depth, so I would Fight this Out with your Insurance Provider, It WILL
    DO SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE AWD SYSTEM to run anything Different....

If they still will not pay for, then Your Only Option is to see if your local Tire dealer will give some form of trade in allowance on the 3 Good ones
    you still have, ( Insurance to pay for 1 ) You Purchase 3 more and go with the 4 New ones and start over..

Had this happen to me on our previous Legacy Wagon, sidewall blow out (not road hazard) replaced the remaining Bridgestones,at the time
    and purchased 4 new Michelin's ( had alignment done) good to go for several thousand more miles

Continentals not a bad brand to go with.

Post some pics of your choice mounted on the car

Have a good weekend

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”

― Francis Bacon

This is one of the taxes having an awd system causes.

25kmiles, is typically a significant amount of wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Realistically, the easier route may be to get the insurance company to pay for the new tire and then get it shaved down to about the same tread depth as the other three. That would solve the issue of having uneven tread wear. It does seem to be a shame to remove 1/2 the tread off of a new tire however.

Try the salvage yards. They may have a tire with matching tread life. Other Subi's have had a similar, or worse, fate than yours.

I got a new tire at 25k miles, dealer said it wasn't enough wear to cause trouble. I made them note this on my service record.

I'm at 55k miles and just hitting the wear bands (time for a new set), and I can't tell which was the new tire... its wear has caught up to the other 3.

Edit: You can get a new tire and have it 'shaved' down to the same size as your other tires if the tread difference is outside tolerance.
    2014 CBS XV Limited w/moonroof and navigation

I am a Subaru Ambassador. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

I had to replace a tire at about 24-25,000 mi too (hit a pot hole and had bulge in sidewall). The tread wear was right at the limit and the dealer replaced the one tire - car at 108,000 now and the differentials are fine. I'd just check with the bodyshop to make sure the tread depth is actually within the limit and if so go with the one tire.
    Scott
    2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek 2.0i 5MT white
    Winter - Nokian Hakka R2 SUV (215/65R16)

+ Reply to Thread