Do Paint protection treatments work?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do Paint protection treatments work?

Hi Guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on this? When you buy a new car, do you have it undergo this? I didn't do it for my Civic before and after 4 years, i noticed that the sheen became somewhat dull. (it was a black car btw...)

Theres a known car care centre here that is offering it plus 11 car waxes and 1 full detail for about 170 AUD. This will be good for a year. I just wanted to be sure that its worth it. Also, how is the paint protection treatment any different from Waxing?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

It's all about the chemicals used.

For my Impreza, I had paint protection at Big Bert's. For my XV, I had it done at Hillsborough Car Spa. They use DuPont-based chemical which makes the film kinda "rubbery" and I find that more effective than that used by Big Bert's. I have not waxed the XV since then and I can easily wash off dirt and mud. Once dirt starts "welding" onto the paint, I'll have it treated again.

At the end of the day, our car's paint is no match to all the debris it has to endure driving around Manila and the provinces.
    2012 Subaru XV 2.0i Premium CVT, DGM
    2010 Subaru Impreza 2.0R Sport 5-speed manual dual-range, DGM

All the forums points towards "paint protection" being a complete rip off, especially through the dealer. The car just needs to be washed, a clay bar over it to remove any dirt- yes the clay bar pulled out heaps of crap from the paintwork of my new car, and then a good quality wax (polymer) applied. Depending upon the conditions your car is subject to, whether you garage it etc. this will last months not years as those paint protection people say If you don't have time yourself, your local detailer may be $s cheaper than the dealership. It cost me $80 in materials and 3 us took about 2 hours tops.

Thanks Arnoldc. I'll have it done. Merits listed are good enough for me....

Cool. Thanks for the advise Sandi. I'll take a look at the process they do here. The outline you gave will help. At least now i'll know what i'll need to look for.

thanks again

I have never had it done and like Sandi think it maybe some sort of ripoff. It certainly won't protect against rock chips or if you go bush bashing for extended periods. To be honest I have never fully understood its purpose. It is one of those costs that just don't appeal to me.

There is also that loving bond of cleaning and polishing your car on the w/end. Why deprive yourself
    Last edited by Ant1958; 07-31-2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: More info added
    ANT

Subaru History:
    "Ants Cherry" Subaru XV MY12 2.0i L, CVT, Deep Cherry Pearl
    "Ant Imp" Subaru Impreza RS, Hatch, MY08, Auto, Graphite Grey Metallic (Traded on above)
    "Ant Lib" Subaru Liberty MY99, Manual, Maroon (Traded on above)
    "Ant Rex" Subaru Impreza WRX, MY99, Manual, Blue (Traded on above)

Quote Originally Posted by Ant1958 View Post
    I have never had it done and like Sandi think it maybe some sort of ripoff. It certainly won't protect against rock chips or if you go bush bashing for extended periods. To be honest I have never fully understood its purpose. It is one of those costs that just don't appeal to me.

There is also that loving bond of cleaning and polishing your car on the w/end. Why deprive yourself
    Yep...it's a scam. Don't bother. Do it yourself will be just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant1958 View Post

Family time!

Find an honest auto-body repair shop and they'll tell you if repairs or paint blending is ever required it'll show up. Not all paint protection is the same and reapplying the protection will show a difference between finishes. I'm for waxing with quality products for paint protection.

AUD$42 a quarter isn't a rip-off to me. It makes my life washing the car easy, which I personally do on my cars.
    2012 Subaru XV 2.0i Premium CVT, DGM
    2010 Subaru Impreza 2.0R Sport 5-speed manual dual-range, DGM