Trick to Removing Rear Sway Bar End Links??

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trick to Removing Rear Sway Bar End Links??

Trick to Removing Rear Sway Bar End Links??

This past weekend I was going to replace the stock 16mm RSB with a 19mm. The bushing clamps came off no with problems (simple 2 bolts each).

However, when I went to take the nut off the driver's side link, the nut got part way down the threads and then that whole "pin" started to rotate. When I tightened the nut, the pin eventually stopped turning, and the nut tightened back down like I expected. However, I never got that nut off.

Should I just be wire-brushing the threads to get the rust off (only had the car 2 months)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Simple answer, PB Blaster for a quick soak and use air. As in a 3/8 gun and 12mm socket (if memory serves me correct, it may be 14mm.)

Trust me, this makes the job very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MackDaddy1962 View Post
    Simple answer, PB Blaster for a quick soak and use air. As in a 3/8 gun and 12mm socket (if memory serves me correct, it may be 14mm.)

Trust me, this makes the job very easy.
    The PB didn't work by itself...But it did make things smell kinda mechanicky

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by LJClark View Post
    This past weekend I was going to replace the stock 16mm RSB with a 19mm. The bushing clamps came off no with problems (simple 2 bolts each).

However, when I went to take the nut off the driver's side link, the nut got part way down the threads and then that whole "pin" started to rotate. When I tightened the nut, the pin eventually stopped turning, and the nut tightened back down like I expected. However, I never got that nut off.

Should I just be wire-brushing the threads to get the rust off (only had the car 2 months)?
    Does the Crosstrek end link bolts have 5mm allen socket on the end, like was on my 2010 Forester? had similar problem with changing
    sway bar on it, until I read the directions regarding the allen socket to hold the bolt while removing the nut.
    just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by HPinOhio View Post
    Does the Crosstrek end link bolts have 5mm allen socket on the end, like was on my 2010 Forester? had similar problem with changing
    sway bar on it, until I read the directions regarding the allen socket to hold the bolt while removing the nut.
    just wondering.
    I'll check that out since it seems to make more sense.

I believe they do indeed have a 5mm hex in the stud end. That would work too... but trust me these will zip right off when using an air compressor & gun.

Problem solved.

5mm Allen wrench did the trick. Using an air wrench would have been a waste of effort and may not have worked at all.

Instead of buying an air ratchet and dragging my compressor out to my parking space, I picked up a nice set of Craftsman Max Access sockets and ratchets. Those allowed the Allen wrench to get at the stud for all most the whole job. A 14mm ratcheting box end wrench would be perfect for the job.

(19mm Subaru RSBs for the Forester much easier to get than the 20mm RSBs.)

Good to hear you got it knocked out. I used air, and they zipped right off (even after a 1.5 years of Ohio road use.)

Whatever it takes to get'r done!

Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by LJClark View Post
    Problem solved.

5mm Allen wrench did the trick. Using an air wrench would have been a waste of effort and may not have worked at all.

Instead of buying an air ratchet and dragging my compressor out to my parking space, I picked up a nice set of Craftsman Max Access sockets and ratchets. Those allowed the Allen wrench to get at the stud for all most the whole job. A 14mm ratcheting box end wrench would be perfect for the job.

(19mm Subaru RSBs for the Forester much easier to get than the 20mm RSBs.)
    so you installed Forester RSB on your Crosstrek, same size, fit, only 19mm instead of 20mm (your Crosstrek is gonna
    hate ya for losin that 1 mm, ya know that?) LOL! if the Forester RSB works, I'm going to go with the easier-to-get option on my Crosstrek.
    thanks for the info!

I've posted this elsewhere on the forums, but here it is again:

Rear Sway Bar Options

18mm XV Hybrid package:
    20451fg010
    20464fg010 x2

19mm Forester XT package:
    20451fg020
    20464fg020 x2

20mm Sti package:
    20451va000
    20464va000 x2

First P/N is the bar, second is bushings (x2)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast