Mann 1" Lift Springs Rear End Slamming?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mann 1" Lift Springs Rear End Slamming?

Mann 1" Lift Springs Rear End Slamming?

After installing the 1" Mann lifting springs I noticed the rear suspension slams back down HARD when it rebounds after bumps. The lift is great but the clunking is very annoying. Anyone else experiencing this or know how to calm it down? Or is the only way going to be to get better dampers which don't exist?

When installing the springs I noticed that the springs are the same length as the OEM springs but the guage of the wire is much thicker. The lift is achieved simply by stiffening up the springs so much the weight of the car doesn't sag the suspension as much.
    USA (Texas) / 2017 Premium (5MT) / Mann 1" Lift Springs / Method 502 Wheels; Grabber AT2 225/70/15 Tires / Megan Racing Front Strut Bar / Muffler Delete / AEM Dryflow Drop in Filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    According to some member's observations, the KYB struts may actually the fix to the OEM ones. They, according to KYB, provide more dampening that the factory ones. I don't know if they measure the factory ones first or if that's just a general statement.

Here's a thread to reference - Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

I used the Primitive Racing Shock Extensions - Shock extension 1.25" M10-1.25 - Primitive Racing

I've not noticed any banging or clunking otherwise (other then the usual subie noises )

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DK_XV View Post
    I used the Primitive Racing Shock Extensions - Shock extension 1.25" M10-1.25 - Primitive Racing

I've not noticed any banging or clunking otherwise (other then the usual subie noises )
    Those shock extensions seems right on.

That and when you do the springs, perhaps change out the bump stops and bushings on the worn rear dampers if = if you're not replacing the rear dampers with new ones. The vehicle has been driving in a 'range' of up and downward motion and the new springs make the old dampers work in another set of perimeters on the rebound and recoil paths. The clunking could be: 1. worn rear dampers accentuated by new springs 2. Reach -over extended- on the OEM dampers with the new springs 3. Worn bump stops and tower bushings accentuated by fresh lift springs

5) Bumpers -Part Number: 20371FJ000
    7) Spring seat -Part Number: 20375FG000
    8) Upper Mount -Part Number: 20370FG012

Closed Case: I should have specified. Vehicle had only 1000 miles on it when I did the swap so the factory dampers are pretty much new.

DK_XV: I debated back and forth with myself whether to do springs or spacers. I went with springs because I wanted to retain ride height with rear passengers and/or heavy gear. Looks like the trade-off is an under-dampened rear end.

Hope my experience helps others to fully understand the trade-off between spacers and stiffer springs for a lift. I will say that on a flat paved road surface the stiffer springs feel good.
    USA (Texas) / 2017 Premium (5MT) / Mann 1" Lift Springs / Method 502 Wheels; Grabber AT2 225/70/15 Tires / Megan Racing Front Strut Bar / Muffler Delete / AEM Dryflow Drop in Filter

Quote Originally Posted by scuds03 View Post
    Closed Case: I should have specified. Vehicle had only 1000 miles on it when I did the swap so the factory dampers are pretty much new.

DK_XV: I debated back and forth with myself whether to do springs or spacers. I went with springs because I wanted to retain ride height with rear passengers and/or heavy gear. Looks like the trade-off is an under-dampened rear end.

Hope my experience helps others to fully understand the trade-off between spacers and stiffer springs for a lift. I will say that on a flat paved road surface the stiffer springs feel good.

I did both springs and spacers. I drive aggressively and bounce it over terrain all the time and have not had any issues in the 12,000 miles or so since I installed it. The rear shock extension that I linked, returns the shock back to its stock position so it should have the normal length of travel esp. on rebound. I would say try that modification and see if it remidies your problem. And if it does, should probably make a post to Mann here on their forum that it might be a required piece in the kit, as they say it doesn't need one.

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    According to some member's observations, the KYB struts may actually the fix to the OEM ones. They, according to KYB, provide more dampening that the factory ones. I don't know if they measure the factory ones first or if that's just a general statement.

Here's a thread to reference - Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN
    So the clunking reported by scuds03 is not an isolated incident? This is making me think twice about Mann springs since I have to spend another $72+ for either the shock extensions or KYB shocks.

Edit: Just checked KYB GR2 shocks (340118) are $51.79 ea on Rock Auto

Quote Originally Posted by firebert View Post
    So the clunking reported by scuds03 is not an isolated incident? This is making me think twice about Mann springs since I have to spend another $72+ for either the shock extensions or KYB shocks.

Edit: Just checked KYB GR2 shocks (340118) are $51.79 ea on Rock Auto
    The KYBs aren't necessarily needed. The extra dampening is something some like without the springs. Likely you would need the shock extenders with either the OEM or KYB shocks as the stiffer spring moves the shock out of the normal range, so without it, you have less available downward movement on the shock. The cheapest and easiest way to lift is just getting the spacers. But a spring lift, while pricier, and more complex to install, offers additional performance and benefits.

^^
    And that I agree with concerning LOAD [not occupants but "suspension equation speak"].

Some really good info in here. I'm also considering a 1" lift with the Mann Springs and it's good to know all this beforehand.

Btw, do the Primitive rear shock extensions add to the lift any or do they just move the strut to a different position?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast