$80 Strut Bar is Great

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: $80 Strut Bar is Great

$80 Strut Bar is Great

Hey all. I took a gamble on a strut bar made by 'Megan Racing' and I'm incredibly happy with the product. I found it on Ebay for $80 shipped. The brace is a polished lightweight hollow aluminum bar and the strut brackets appear to be steel powder coated in a metallic grey finish. The brackets fit perfectly over the struts and the bar itself does not interfere with anything in the engine bay and doesn't "clunk" anything under hard acceleration. I've used Megan products in the past on Hondas and they have not disappointed. Just thought I'd share for those who want a strut brace but don't want to drop ~$250 on an STI one like myself. If anyone wants any other specific photos let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Forgot to mention my trek is a 2017 Premium (5mt) if it even matters for this part.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Anything special on the install? Just take off the six nuts and install or is there other work required?

Strut bar install is pretty much always just...
    1. Get to where you can access the mounting location - on the Crosstrek, they are accessible without removing anything so nothing happens here
    2. Remove strut bolts/nuts
    3. Place bar
    4. Install strut bolts/nuts
    5. For some bars (this looks like one of them maybe), tighten down the linkage between the mounts and the bar

On the Crosstrek the whole thing might take 15 minutes if you take your time.
    2014 Tangerine Orange Pearl XV Crosstrek Limited
    2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST ST3

Install is cake. Just remove the six bolts on top of the struts then put it in with the two bolts through the bar loose. Torque down the six strut bolts to Subaru spec then tighten the two bar bolts using a 14mm socket or wrench and 8mm Allen key. The Allen bolt heads looked prettier than the nut/lock washer so I made sure those were facing forward. Took all of 15 minutes to install.

Quote Originally Posted by scuds03 View Post
    Install is cake. Just remove the six bolts on top of the struts then put it in with the two bolts through the bar loose. Torque down the six strut bolts to Subaru spec then tighten the two bar bolts using a 14mm socket or wrench and 8mm Allen key. The Allen bolt heads looked prettier than the nut/lock washer so I made sure those were facing forward. Took all of 15 minutes to install.
    Which begs the question: What is Subaru torque spec for the strut bolts?

Very nice, thanks for the product info. How's she handle? Any noticeable improvement?

On road the car feels a little flatter when I really throw it into some S's at the limit (when stability control wants to start taking over) but nothing noticeable driving normally. I don't ever drive like that on road so really doing nothing for me there. It is noticeably stiffer at speed off-road on hard packed uneven desert roads though.

Another caveat is I'm on Mann 1" lift springs which are quite a bit stiffer than OEM springs so I cannot attest to how it would affect the feel of a stock suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by coletrain View Post
    Which begs the question: What is Subaru torque spec for the strut bolts?

Very nice, thanks for the product info. How's she handle? Any noticeable improvement?
    USA (Texas) / 2017 Premium (5MT) / Mann 1" Lift Springs / Method 502 Wheels; Grabber AT2 225/70/15 Tires / Megan Racing Front Strut Bar / Muffler Delete / AEM Dryflow Drop in Filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast