Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

Today I replaced the absolutely useless rear struts, the vehicle hops sideways on the motorway over small bumps, the wheels come off the ground over the speed bumps in car parks and just about any other annoying thing that bad dampers can cause

I went with the KYB EXCEL - G part number 340116 (USA vehicles get 340118), I dont know the difference between those 2 but I bet its damping rate related

The installation is easy and not any real effort.

I can report that the KYB part is nearly 2mm larger OD than the OEM part, maybe a bigger piston inside and obviously more oil.

When hand testing the OEM units there was nothing to say they were "bad" in fact I found myself thinking I hope this is going to make a difference .......

What a difference it made, the vehicle is not the same car and now holds the road as it should at the rear - like my GEN4 Liberty/Legacy sedan does. WIN

Got them through GSA Wholesale suspension Brisbane (for the Aus owners)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Excellent! Many owners have been mentioning this issue and living with it (and so have I). At approx $60 US a piece, it probably a no brainer to use these instead of the factory ones for over $100 each.

For sure, I would like to see a few there do it

Can you get the KYB EXCEL - G part number 340116 or do you only see the 340118?? I can confirm the 116 is excellent

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Australian XV has the full size spare and a 2 liter engine? Possible the 340116 is the hybrid strut not listed in the KYB America catalog.

Cool

This is Most annoying on our 2015 Touring XV, smallest of speed bumps, rear end Hops up with little to NO DAMPENING at all, no leaks from OE struts ..... Simply No Travel in Suspension ??

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...trut-assembly/ Canadian source $ 91.01 each KYB 340118 Gas unit, see dimensions

Seriously tempted upgrade

Troutbum
    Last edited by troutbum; 01-11-2017 at 04:31 PM.
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”

― Francis Bacon

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    For sure, I would like to see a few there do it

Can you get the KYB EXCEL - G part number 340116 or do you only see the 340118?? I can confirm the 116 is excellent
    According to a quick search I did, only the 340118 is available on this side of the world.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
    This is Most annoying on our 2015 Touring XV, smallest of speed bumps, rear end Hops up with little to NO DAMPENING at all, no leaks from OE struts ..... Simply No Travel in Suspension ??

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...trut-assembly/ Canadian source $ 91.01 each KYB 340118 Gas unit, see dimensions

Seriously tempted upgrade

Troutbum
    I'm with you but I've always been in the camp where I'm cheap and have to justify replacing something that suppose to work!

While on the topic of struts, the stock front struts seem to lack first stage dampening we get no damping going over small mogul type bumps. Hoping KYB has an answer for this as they are just adding the 2014 Crosstrek to their product line. Sign of the times, older model Subaru OEM struts were good past 150K miles.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    While on the topic of struts, the stock front struts seem to lack first stage dampening we get no damping going over small mogul type bumps. Hoping KYB has an answer for this as they are just adding the 2014 Crosstrek to their product line. Sign of the times, older model Subaru OEM struts were good past 150K miles.
    According to a quick search on a few websites, KYB has a replacement but I don't know anything more about it but it's the same family of product as this one - 339386 (L) and 339385 (R) - for about $90 each. They also have front strut mounts SM5664....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast