Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

I guarantee you all that your OEM struts are likely in great condition as I found with mine when I removed them. The issues is the strut damping calibration is totally wrong, if anyone changes they are simply removing badly valved struts and fitting correctly valved struts. That is what this is about now.

I would like to know the difference between 116 and 118 though, for now I can tell you the 116 is incredibly aweome

KYB AUS (distribution) also make every replacement strut 10% better damped than the OEM strut in EVERY application they sell struts for in this country, whether its a FORD, FIAT, Subaru or whatever. Its actually a great scheme as just in replacing you always get something better than the factory fitted.

I am just as tight as the rest of you, but I was damned if I was going to be driving such an unsafe suspension setting for another year, this was last ditch attempt as I dont have a lot of options out here on the suspension.

For me the front suspension here works well, we have pretty average roads and I never felt a deficiency, its the rear that was totally screwed.

Car feels very planted on the road now - amazing is almost coming to mind - well compared to the OEM rubbish

The ultimate for you USA guys might be a full Australian strut set from KYB, I reckon you would be in heaven. Its not any kind of low price tho, I was in for AUD$320 to do the rears .......

The KYB product is made in Japan which is excellent

www.kyb.com.au Then go to the part finder and you will find the front strut numbers too

Fronts are 339385 (R) and 339386 (L) for AU from KYB

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I guarantee you all that your OEM struts are likely in great condition as I found with mine when I removed them. The issues is the strut damping calibration is totally wrong, if anyone changes they are simply removing badly valved struts and fitting correctly valved struts. That is what this is about now.

I would like to know the difference between 116 and 118 though, for now I can tell you the 116 is incredibly aweome

KYB AUS (distribution) also make every replacement strut 10% better damped than the OEM strut in EVERY application they sell struts for in this country, whether its a FORD, FIAT, Subaru or whatever. Its actually a great scheme as just in replacing you always get something better than the factory fitted.

I am just as tight as the rest of you, but I was damned if I was going to be driving such an unsafe suspension setting for another year, this was last ditch attempt as I dont have a lot of options out here on the suspension.

For me the front suspension here works well, we have pretty average roads and I never felt a deficiency, its the rear that was totally screwed.

Car feels very planted on the road now - amazing is almost coming to mind - well compared to the OEM rubbish

The ultimate for you USA guys might be a full Australian strut set from KYB, I reckon you would be in heaven. Its not any kind of low price tho, I was in for AUD$320 to do the rears .......

The KYB product is made in Japan which is excellent

www.kyb.com.au Then go to the part finder and you will find the front strut numbers too

Fronts are 339385 (R) and 339386 (L) for AU from KYB
    So then the fronts are exactly the same as the North American ones... strange. I've seen some manufacturers issue a slight different model number due to labelling requirements for certain markets and I was think that might account for the rears having different numbers. But now seeing that the fronts have the same number, I'm beginning to wonder...

Could it be that the availability of the 116 are due to right hand drive set-ups? I see them available in the UK, Ireland, Malta and India.

Are you replacing the rear strut bearing set too. Big improvement with those replaced along with the rear dampeners.

I've just order the entire set.

Thanks everyone.

KYB SM5214 Strut Mount (Rear)

Quote Originally Posted by Closed Case View Post
    Are you replacing the rear strut bearing set too. Big improvement with those replaced along with the rear dampeners.

I've just order the entire set.

Thanks everyone.

KYB SM5214 Strut Mount (Rear)

Hi, what do you mean by rear strut bearing? I didnt see any bearing when I was working on them the other day.

I made a close, very close inspection of the OEM rear strut to find the manufacturer of it. It is SHOWA of Japan.

These KYBs have massively firmed up the rear and made the vehicle MUCH better in ALL driving situations. I don't have a gripe with the front but wondering ........... that extra 10% damping could be awesome

In addition, Subar cars in the markets of AU, NZ and South Africa tend to be identical in specification and typically differ from all other countries. This was first noticed in the Impreza's from 02 onwards, had different fuel systems etc, bigger injectors, MAP sensed instead of MAF and on and on it went. The best part was they were better and easier to modify

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Hi, what do you mean by rear strut bearing? I didnt see any bearing when I was working on them the other day.
    https://www.amazon.com/KYB-SM5214-St.../dp/B000HDD87W
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    According to a quick search on a few websites, KYB has a replacement but I don't know anything more about it but it's the same family of product as this one - 339386 (L) and 339385 (R) - for about $90 each. They also have front strut mounts SM5664....
    The KYB front strut part numbers you posted are for 2013 XV, it appears the KYB America catalog lists 2014 and 2015 XV Crosstrek front struts as 3340051 (R) 3340052 (L) as a new part number being available 1st QT.
    KYB Online Parts Catalog

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    The KYB front strut part numbers you posted are for 2013 XV, it appears the KYB America catalog lists 2014 and 2015 XV Crosstrek front struts as 3340051 (R) 3340052 (L) as a new part number being available 1st QT.
    KYB Online Parts Catalog
    But I have a 2013....

Wish we could get Bilsteins here in the US!
    2016 Crosstrek Crystal White Pearl Limited w/ Black Interior
    SSD Light Bar & Strut Bar,Full LED Exterior & Interior Lights,SBL 30" LED Light Bar,Cusco Master Cylinder Brace,Primitive Racing Skid Plates,Morimoto LED XB Fog Lights,Morimoto X.DRL 5 LED DRL's,Dual Projector Headlights,RokBlokz Mud Flaps,Drifz 308B Spec-R Black Wheels w/ Yokohama Geolander 225/60 17 A/T's,EcoHitch,AEM Cold Air Intake

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast