Snow Offroading + Highway travel the next day

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Snow Offroading + Highway travel the next day

Snow Offroading + Highway travel the next day

I took my Crosstrek offroading for the first time yesterday after the storm we got in the Northeast and had a blast in the snow with my first AWD car. Today though when doing highway travel the car was vibrating excessively to the point I pulled over at a rest stop to see what was wrong. It looked like it was packed snow that had frozen over that I cleared the best I could but I was still vibrating a lot at highway speeds afterwards. Assuming it still is just the packed snow and ice on the tires that is problem am I hurting my car at all or its AWD system to be driving it like this? It's currently ~20F out and I have no way effective way to get rid of the snow and ice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Yep, it definitely sounds like you have snow packed in some of the wheels. A little bit of driving like that won't hurt the car, though it might drive you crazy ... but I would definitely get it resolved before driving any longer distances.

Given the temperature the easiest thing to do would be to just run the car through an automatic carwash.

NY here and mine was doing the same thing today after my commute in the snow yesterday. The car was good in the snow except for the over sensitive VDC, but this vibration is just another disappointment that I never had with the previous Subaru I owned. Why can't they just leave well enough alone.

Super Moderator
    I've found that if you know of a good shopping mall that has underground parking, it's the easiest place in the Winter time to defrost everything out while having a cup or two coffee.

A hair dryer or heat gun would help heat up the wheel and melt the snow and ice. You can also follow the brake-bedding procedure to heat up the brakes, which might help heat the wheels.

Do NOT use any open flames to heat the wheels! There are plastic parts and brake lines that could be damaged or catch fire.
    2015 XV Crosstrek, Quartz Blue
    2007 Dodge 1500 4x4

Yeah, well what you plan and what happens ain't ever exactly been similar.
    - Jayne Cobb

I took mine to a drive through car wash and that seemed to do the trick.. (I typically like washing my car myself but I'll let the machines do the dirty work in these freezing temps)

I was told by the rally instructor to find a stick and poke around before I try to drive on the highway

Beside the wheels, wheel well can have snow stuck on the top side that loosen and rattle in the wheel well as the tires turn. The wheel well is deep enough that you won't see the snow/ice unless you stick your hands/stick in. I found that out one day sticking the washer in there and was rewarded with an avalanche of snow and ice that I didn't think exist. There might also be some snow in the suspension area that interfere with the travel.

Thanks for the information guys! Glad to hear that I'm at least not doing any immediate damage by driving around like this. I'll see what I can do to clear it before I do any extended trips as temperatures have remained pretty low the past few days.

also you might try spraying the inside of the wheels with some pam or something to help keep snow from sticking.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast