Subaru Grows Up With the New Ascent

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RallyeBourne

Thread: Subaru Grows Up With the New Ascent

Subaru Grows Up With the New Ascent

Quote:

At this year’s New York Auto Show, Subaru debuted the Ascent, a new three-row crossover what will likely hit showrooms sometime next year. But this isn’t the first time the brand has offered a three-row family vehicle.

Subaru fans may remember the Tribeca, a crossover that was launched back in 2005, but wasn’t well received by the buying public. By the time it was axed in 2014, the sales had dwindled even more and the hook came as no surprise.

But now, with a new vehicle set to fill the role of the old Tribeca, it’s interesting to look back on the lessons the company learned from that model and how the new Ascent will be a whole new experience in comparison.
    Read more about Subaru Grows Up With the New Ascent at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    Toyota Highlander Clone.

Attachment 227770 Attachment 227778
    Welcome to the 3-row crossover segment.

Also, it's not a true clone as it uses the Subaru Global Platform. I'm just hoping for a true mechanical Subaru Symmetrical AWD, that electric RWD band-aid AWD system featured on the Viziv concept vehicles is not going to sit well with loyalists such as myself.
    "Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    I honestly don't believe this will sell... There are too many good choices out there and unless Subaru has an 8 cylinder in the works the Ascent will be terribly under powered.
    There is no way it'll see an 8 banger. CAFE standards ensure that.

It's going to be powered by a 2.4L Turbo 4. Which will put it on par with what likely to be its closest competitor - Mazda CX-9. Since the numbers for Subaru's new motor have not been released yet, we'll compare the CX9's turbo 4 to the Highlander's V6.

CX-9 AWD
    2.5L Turbo 4-Cyl
    227hp, 310ft-lbs
    6spd Auto
    4301lbs
    0-60 in 7.2 Seconds

Highlander AWD
    3.5L V6
    295hp, 263ft-lbs
    8spd Auto
    4464 lbs
    0-60 in 7.2 Seconds

Some other comparable times
    Dodge Durango AWD - 7.4s
    Jeep Grand Cherokee - 7.1s
    Kia Sorento V6 AWD - 7.1s
    Mitsubishi Outlander - 7.6s
    Nissan Pathfinder AWD - 7.4s
    VW Toureg V6 - 7.8s

(No, I didn't double check that all of these have 3rd rows, but I believe they all do.)

So you can see that it won't be difficult for Subaru to be class competitive. I am definitely aprehensive about it being equipped with the CVT though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's most likely getting a CVT. A respectable towing capacity is something I would like (maybe 4000 lbs or so), but I doubt Subaru would bother...
    "Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano

+ Reply to Thread