Why the 2nd-Generation Subaru Crosstrek Is Better Than the First - Page 2

  1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

    Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Why the 2nd-Generation Subaru Crosstrek Is Better Than the First

  1. #11
    As great as the next Crosstrek / XV sounds, I don't think I'll be going back for seconds when it comes time to trade in my '16 Limited. It's one of those "it's not you, it's me" situations. The Crosstrek is an all-around great, capable vehicle, and the next one looks even that much nicer, it's just I often find myself wishing it was more than what it is. I'm going to enjoy my 2016 Crosstrek the best I can while I own it, but my next vehicle is going to be something a bit larger, a tad more luxurious and definitely more powerful. Depending what the next gen Forester ends up looking like and whether or not they keep the FXT, I may just stay with Subaru.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Squash View Post
    As great as the next Crosstrek / XV sounds, I don't think I'll be going back for seconds when it comes time to trade in my '16 Limited. It's one of those "it's not you, it's me" situations. The Crosstrek is an all-around great, capable vehicle, and the next one looks even that much nicer, it's just I often find myself wishing it was more than what it is. I'm going to enjoy my 2016 Crosstrek the best I can while I own it, but my next vehicle is going to be something a bit larger, a tad more luxurious and definitely more powerful. Depending what the next gen Forester ends up looking like and whether or not they keep the FXT, I may just stay with Subaru.
    Exactly my thoughts, except I am finally ready to leave the beloved Subaru brand because nothing marketing does seems to fit my likings anymore (attention to detail matters). Cheapness to be competitive, has made Subaru just an average car. Subaru was once considered pricy, for their quality and the AWD. Guess all good things must come to an end.

  4. #13
    Senior Member d3jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    217
    Aren't all second generation versions of a car better than the first..?

    I am a bit disappointed that the Crosstrek isn't getting a powerplant with more HP, but not surprised.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

  6. #14
    Senior Member AWDfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA (USA)
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by d3jake View Post
    Aren't all second generation versions of a car better than the first..?

    I am a bit disappointed that the Crosstrek isn't getting a powerplant with more HP, but not surprised.
    The ones we have are the second generation. This new one is a third generation contrary to the headline. Unfortunately, many automotive press are very ignorant of the Subaru brand so naturally they won't know that there is a first generation that predates the one we're familiar with.


    It's getting the FB20 again, but with an extremely minor improvement of 152 HP. I'm just happy they gave it any kind of increase. I'm more concerned for its fuel economy so with the addition of direct injection and if they keep the manual transmission, I'll be content with that.
    "Why would I want to profess my feelings for some 3D girl?" - Tomoya Aki from the anime Saekano

  7. #15
    Senior Member OrangeCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    THE state of Colorado
    Posts
    133
    Hmm...of all the complaints I have with mine, wind noise isn't even on the list. Power is. It's #1. Who is telling Subaru? Ambassadors?

  8. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19
    Subaru have long said one of the goals of the XV/Crosstrek is fuel economy. They are wanting to give the vehicle as much distance per tank of fuel as possible. This was stated by a high level manager at Subaru who was responsible for the creation of the XV, I remember watching it on Youtube, have a look for the vid if you want more info.
    So obviously, adding more power will equal consuming more fuel, thus less km/ml per tank of fuel, thus going against one of the main goals of the vehicle. In my opinion (even though I wish they would) I don't think the XV will gain a larger engine or get a turbo charger (diesel excepted), even in future models from now.

  9. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by sleek7 View Post
    Subaru have long said one of the goals of the XV/Crosstrek is fuel economy. They are wanting to give the vehicle as much distance per tank of fuel as possible. This was stated by a high level manager at Subaru who was responsible for the creation of the XV, I remember watching it on Youtube, have a look for the vid if you want more info.
    So obviously, adding more power will equal consuming more fuel, thus less km/ml per tank of fuel, thus going against one of the main goals of the vehicle. In my opinion (even though I wish they would) I don't think the XV will gain a larger engine or get a turbo charger (diesel excepted), even in future models from now.
    Doesn't mean they can't add a trim with a turbo infused engine. I mean, even Honda does that with their fuel efficient civics.

  10. #18
    Senior Member OrangeCrush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    THE state of Colorado
    Posts
    133
    So, whenever I'm out and about in the mountains (with or w/out offroad group), inevitably, I'm asked "How do you like your Crosstrek?"

    My response is as it's always been - I love it, but it needs about 50 more HP. I love it, but don't love the CVT. I love it, but skip the *cough* Limited (y'all are still trying to get light to the window switches).
    ...and my latest: I love it, but get a spare CV axle (and then explain the whole pre/post JAN 2014 thing).
    Know what I get with other Subaru owners/techs/mechanics/advisors? - nodding of the head, yeps all around, then "needs a turbo" ... or "it's the CVT". Maybe the 18 fixed the CVT, but I seriously doubt it fixed the motor.

  11. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmatik View Post
    Doesn't mean they can't add a trim with a turbo infused engine. I mean, even Honda does that with their fuel efficient civics.
    Of course they could introduce an option to have a turbo but they will choose not to as I mentioned above it will directly go against one of the primary goals of the vehicle.
    By also by introducing a turbo, competition between the 'performance' XV and the WRX would emerge and they would likely lose sales of the WRX to the XV, not something Subaru want to do.

  12. #20

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. On My 2nd Crosstrek!
    By MJ502 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Latest Post: 05-27-2016, 11:03 PM
  2. 1st Crosstrek, 2nd Subaru
    By peaster in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Latest Post: 05-23-2016, 10:32 PM
  3. My 2nd Subaru (Maybe).
    By CrosstrekKin in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Latest Post: 02-16-2016, 02:40 AM
  4. 2nd Subaru, hello all
    By shadesofDGM in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Latest Post: 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2