Flood resistance of the XV

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Flood resistance of the XV

Flood resistance of the XV

I live 2 blocks from the shore of the flooding Ottawa River. It's expected to crest today. My house is on a bit of a plateau, so I'm not worried about that. However, if I encounter water, how high can it be before I'm taking a risk. I assume that as long as the exhaust pipe stays above the water line, then I'm fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    Even if you could go a bit higher than the exhaust Id avoid it as much as possible.
    Drive slowly even in flood water that is much shallower that the exhaust height, if water splashes up you risk that the car will leave you stranded there, seen many that think that they should go fast through the water and they get stuck, for the same reason allow quite a bit of space between you and the other cars. In traffic if the one in front of yours stalls you want to be able to go around them where you are sure that there arent curbs or other stuff covered by the water or even turn around, you dont want to be stuck between a stalled car and a line of drivers that think they can be on your butt just because they "have to go"
    In traffic also watch out for the other drivers, specially if you are doing something around the car, as some can lose control entering the water.
    And if you know that you are going to encounter flooded areas then maybe throw a tow strap and the towing eye behind the seat instead than keeping them in the trunk

Quote Originally Posted by legojenn View Post
    I live 2 blocks from the shore of the flooding Ottawa River. It's expected to crest today. My house is on a bit of a plateau, so I'm not worried about that. However, if I encounter water, how high can it be before I'm taking a risk. I assume that as long as the exhaust pipe stays above the water line, then I'm fine.
    It doesn't take much current to sweep a vehicle away. Especially a light duty economy car. Exhaust can go under as long as you stay on the throttle to keep positive pressure out the pipe, no problemo.

Intake is what needs to stay above... definitely keep water level safely below the headlights... and I'd probably have your fogs turned off... unsure about how well they do when submerged...

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    as long as you stay on the throttle to keep positive pressure out the pipe, no problemo.
    but beware that is not the healtiest thing for all the hot engine parts and if the car stalls its water in the exhaust and up. Not meaning to be an a..h... its just because it seems OP didnt drive in deep water before.

Other than that yep you're right
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    no problemo
    :

Still water: about a foot, if you go slow. Very slow.

moving water: (and I mean moving like, at all) not much more than 6 inches. If it touches your car body, you're in trouble.
    2014 CBS XV Limited w/moonroof and navigation

I am a Subaru Ambassador. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Rorgaard View Post
    Still water: about a foot, if you go slow. Very slow.

moving water: (and I mean moving like, at all) not much more than 6 inches. If it touches your car body, you're in trouble.
    This, in spades. It really isn't worth the risk.

Super Moderator
    If the conditions are right, there might be a faster undercurrent than what you see on the surface so be prepared.

I remember I was in New Mexico travelling through a small State Route highway during a thunderstorm which caused a lot of flash floods across many of the rural highways. There was about 2-3 inches of water that was flowing quickly across the highway and I was in a rented compact sedan. I thought how bad can it be? So, I pointed the car slightly upstream thinking that the water will push me downstream and I accelerated hoping that the momentum will carry me through.

Luckily it worked but even with going up stream, the car was moved about 1 to 2 feet down stream across probably a 10 foot wide stream - anything wider would have caused serious issues with the small sedan.

As an old Firefighter I can say the best thing to do if you come across standing or running water over the road is turn around and go the other way. Water can hide all kinds of hazards from washed out roadways to open manhole covers, it could tear a wheel right off your car I saw that on a call once. Running water is even more of a danger in it doesn't take a very deep runoff to wash both you and your car away. Be safe a find another way or don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    As an old Firefighter I can say the best thing to do if you come across standing or running water over the road is turn around and go the other way. Water can hide all kinds of hazards from washed out roadways to open manhole covers, it could tear a wheel right off your car I saw that on a call once. Running water is even more of a danger in it doesn't take a very deep runoff to wash both you and your car away. Be safe a find another way or don't go.
    Oh definitely. If you can't see where you're about to drive, and you don't 100% know what you're about to roll onto/through, don't go.
    2014 CBS XV Limited w/moonroof and navigation

I am a Subaru Ambassador. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCanada View Post
    Seems to me that the water "could" have entered the intake on this video. It would have certainly entered the filter box. Amazing, but I would not have dared.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast