Flood resistance of the XV - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Flood resistance of the XV

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
    Seems to me that the water "could" have entered the intake on this video. It would have certainly entered the filter box. Amazing, but I would not have dared.
    Stock grill stops water from intake. It is blocked at top. No holes there. Check it out yourself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
    Seems to me that the water "could" have entered the intake on this video. It would have certainly entered the filter box. Amazing, but I would not have dared.
    It could have, who knows, maybe its just a fluke, sometimes it takes little to stop the car, or maybe you dont stop but end with some hot component cracking because of the water, moisture gremlins might show up later on too.
    And the driver cant even see whats on the road under the water so its a bit irresponsible.

Water is tricky:

Some think they can make it:

Some make it:

and sometimes shallow water is enough:

As others have already said "Simply Don't Do it"

The life you save will be yours,and whom ever else is riding with you at that moment in Time

Have a Safe Weekend

Troutbum
    “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand--and melting like a snowflake...”

― Francis Bacon

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Crisis averted. This week, I only crossed a road with some runoff from a hill. Thanks for your advice.

A fire Engine drives though deep water, don't try this at home kids! Notice after he comes out and opens the door! Might be hard in the carpet in a VX.

The XV in that video had to have something extra to keep water out of the air box... or they were ridiculously lucky.
    2014 CBS XV Limited w/moonroof and navigation

I am a Subaru Ambassador. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

That fire truck...holy crap. Where the heck is the air intake!? It was practically entirely submerged!

As long as a car or truck keeps moving it will push up a wake (like a boat) in front and there will be a "Hole" behind that wake where the the water has a lower level. I think that is one thing that helps the fire engine and the air intake is a lot higher than on a car, the one on a couple of the engine we had was from the top of the roof of the cab. Plus being diesel power there's no ignition to drown and short out. BUT I would have hated to have been on that truck...it looked like a long swim back if it did drowned.

But the XV has a cold air intake, where it sucks air from the front grille. It isn't protected at all and I frequently pull dead bugs out of my air box. Driving through deep enough water to push it up onto the grille should mean it's also going into the airbox (but maybe not enough that it can't drain out the bottom).
    2014 CBS XV Limited w/moonroof and navigation

I am a Subaru Ambassador. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2