Windshield haze while using wipers in rain?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Windshield haze while using wipers in rain?

Windshield haze while using wipers in rain?

Hey all,

Something that's been bugging me since day with with my XV—when I use my wipers, as they wipe across the windshield, while the water drops are wiped away, the wipers leave a haze behind that seems to quickly evaporate. Problem is, when the wipers are on med/high speeds, the wipers make their passes quicker than the haze evaporates, making it difficult to see through. In the day, it's tolerable, but at night...visibility goes way down when driving with oncoming traffic (oncoming headlights, streetlights, etc. really exaggerate the haze). First thing I did was replace the wipers, but made no difference.

Since my '15 XV was purchased used/off lease, wondering if it's possible the previous owner had some sort of treatment on the windshield? As well, I also notice a weird, almost "smear" on the windshield when using the wipers in the rain/at night when headlight/streetlight light hits (different from the haze), which again makes me feel like there's some old treatment on the windshield.

So, just wondering what I could use to give the windshield a deep clean to remove whatever it is that's on there (which also might be causing the haze)?

Thanks,
    Kristin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Diamond Bar, CA (30 miles, or 48 kms away from Los Angeles)
    When I used Rain-X in the past, the wiping after-effects are the same. Perhaps the windshield was treated in such a manner. This is why I don't use Rain-X anymore. They say to keep wiping it after applying a few coats and this makes the haze linger a bit longer as well. That said, it does a great job of whisking away the water, so much so that in light rain i can sometimes drive without wipers. YMMV.

Rain‑X Xtreme Clean, is the only thing I found that will remove old worn Rain-X. Lots of scrubbing. You can also use a glass polish (Zaino) or toothpaste and a razor blade.
    Rain-X treatment bonds to the glass and requires frequent re-treatment, that streaking always comes at the worst time. I stopped using Rain-X window treatment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xvfan70 View Post
    When I used Rain-X in the past, the wiping after-effects are the same. Perhaps the windshield was treated in such a manner. This is why I don't use Rain-X anymore. They say to keep wiping it after applying a few coats and this makes the haze linger a bit longer as well. That said, it does a great job of whisking away the water, so much so that in light rain i can sometimes drive without wipers. YMMV.
    When you stopped using it, did you remove the old treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    Rain‑X Xtreme Clean, is the only thing I found that will remove old worn Rain-X. Lots of scrubbing. You can also use a glass polish (Zaino) or toothpaste and a razor blade.
    Rain-X treatment bonds to the glass and requires frequent re-treatment, that streaking always comes at the worst time. I stopped using Rain-X window treatment.
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyk View Post
    Rain-X wears off eventually after a few months hence the need to re-apply.

Super Moderator
    I only use Rain-X on windows or parts of windows that don't see any wiper action (or won't be using it) - door windows, parts of the front where the wiper doesn't go over... - as it does help to keep it clear.

Diamond Bar, CA (30 miles, or 48 kms away from Los Angeles)
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyk View Post
    Nope, didn't remove it. I simply let it wear away over time.

If it's OEM wiper then I suspect the wiper degrading more than the windshield. I have gasoline on my windshield once (stupid gas station wiper fluid) and the only thing that cleaned it was invisible glass. The windshield stayed haze free for a while till wiper start to streak again. I think the wiper is just falling apart and smearing itself everywhere rather than windshield having anything on it. If invisible glass can take off gasoline, it may be able to take off rain-x treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by vahallaoven View Post
    If it's OEM wiper then I suspect the wiper degrading more than the windshield. I have gasoline on my windshield once (stupid gas station wiper fluid) and the only thing that cleaned it was invisible glass. The windshield stayed haze free for a while till wiper start to streak again. I think the wiper is just falling apart and smearing itself everywhere rather than windshield having anything on it. If invisible glass can take off gasoline, it may be able to take off rain-x treatment.
    First thing I did after noticing this was replacing the wipers. Didn't help. Already picked up some Invisible Glass and will give it a shot tonight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast