Windshield haze while using wipers in rain? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Windshield haze while using wipers in rain?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Windshield haze while using wipers in rain?

I would use something like invisible glass to clean the window. I also use newspaper. These days that and wrapping fish are about all it's good for. I would change the blades, and not try to upgrade too much. The super expensive blades don't seem IMO to be as good as they claim. I used Rainex to apply to the shield about a million years ago. I think that ship has sailed. I swear by the Rainex washer fluids that you can use summer and winter. I have used them consistently for years with good results and no problem. You should also periodically wipe the blades themselves with an alcohol wipe or paper towel dipped in alcohol. It helps get the gunk off of them. They do make blades out of another material that escapes me currently, that is supposed to hold up better. But I would not go too crazy buying the most expensive blade. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the wipers are new they themselves might be leaving the streaks due to the residue on them from the factory. I'm pretty sure wipers are coated with something to make them look purty on store shelves. I'm not really sure there's anything you can do about it though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Wash your windshield with an all purpose cleaner, like Simple Green, then wash the glass with soap and water, and then use a clay bar on the glass. This should remove everything on the glass. After that use a good glass cleaner to clean it. You should be good to go.

1 - Clean glass with APC
    2 - Wash glass with soap and water
    3 - Clay bar your windshield (may have to go over a few times)
    4 - Clean glass with good glass cleaner or water to remove any clay residue

Should be good
    2015 XV Crosstrek Premium w/Eyesight and Premium Audio
    Kicker speakers, Curt Hitch, Kuat Sherpa Bike Rack, J-Style Malone Kayak Rack

Quote Originally Posted by xvfan70 View Post
    When I used Rain-X in the past, the wiping after-effects are the same. Perhaps the windshield was treated in such a manner. This is why I don't use Rain-X anymore. They say to keep wiping it after applying a few coats and this makes the haze linger a bit longer as well. That said, it does a great job of whisking away the water, so much so that in light rain i can sometimes drive without wipers. YMMV.
    Rain-X has always worked for me, and never caused a vision issue. The opposite, it is the only thing that preserves good vision for me. Dirt and atmospheric fallout can cause grime on the window. My guess it's an application error, and more Rain-X will fix it.

Cred: Rain-X sponsored our race vehicle in South America rally racing in 1988; kept everything including mud off the windshield. I became a fan. Have used it on every vehicle I own since, including lights and mirrors.

Try putting 2 coats on, and wipe with a damp towel after buffing it in.

Don't wipe with wipers if your windshield is dirty. Dirt is abrasive and wears away the gloss coating that the manufacturer applies. This may also be what happened. It may be that it's not what is there, but what is gone that causes the haze. I NevAr wipe a dirty dry windshield with the wipers. Only wet. If it's dry I wash the car, or make it to a service station with a squeegee.

I have the same problem, I notice after I cleaned my windshield with dishsoap. The haze never happens until I apply my windshield liquid again (x-rain) the issue came back.

My first thought would be the car engine oil, any kind oil on the road could have slash onto my car and oils are hard to get rid of it. Should I mix a bit of dishsoap with windshield liquid. I never try it.

I contacted Rain-X about this problem and they said use their xtreme clean product or Bon Ami cleanser and water to a paste that is basically what the Rain-X xtreme clean is.
    You can knock yourself out but this a common complaint if you google removing rain-x, people have tried everything Rain-X when bonded to glass is not easy to remove.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by djriful View Post
    I have the same problem, I notice I after I cleaned my windshield with dishsoap. The haze never happens until I apply my windshield liquid again (x-rain) the issue came back.

My first thought would be the car engine oil, any kind oil on the road could have slash onto my car and oils are hard to get rid of it. Should I mix a bit of dishsoap with windshield liquid. I never try it.
    A little dishsoap and water is my primary windshield fluid in the Spring and early/mid Summer (as the Winter stuff gets used up and freezing is no longer a concern). As Fall rolls in, I let the stuff in the tank get used up to low and then add -40C stuff as it gets closer to the first frost.

Don't worry too much about those stories that dishsoap eats car wax. I tried it a few times to see if I can remove Collinite 845 to apply some body side mouldings and NOTHING happened. I had to use a claybar to get the stuff off.

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    A mild degreaser should work, plain floor degreaser is what we use on the boat if there are deck areas that end oversprayed with some silicone lubricant. Keep it on the glass and wipe it off with a wet towel, almost nothing will remain and the rest goes with a simple wash. There is also a 3M product used by bodyshops. Anything that can clean off silicone will work on RainX.
    I use RainX and never had problems with buildup, I tend to clean the glass and blades with alcohol before any application, maybe thats what does it, not sure. Heard of people using a bit of acetone/nailpolish on a papertowel to wipe the windshield, being sure its only on the glass (it evaporates so its not like you have to worry about it being carried on the paint when you wash the car right after cleaning the windshield)

It might not even be RainX but just wax, we get the cars detailed after winter and have to specifically tell them to not let anything go on the windshield or its a disaster. Some drivethrough car wash are bad for that also.

Theboyk....did you ever work out your problem? I have the same issue, was curious, does your crosstrek have the eyesight installed in it? Mine does and I wonder if the special treatment that they use on the windshield for the cameras has something to do with it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast