Snow and Ice

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Snow and Ice

Snow and Ice

We got hit by a little snow and ice over the weekend here in the Southeast. Had a chance to drive my '16 Hybrid Touring around in both snow and VERY slick ice. All I can say is wow. I have had 4x4s most of my life. I have even owned an H1 Hummer and currently own an AWD Landrover. The Crosstrek did just as good in the ice and snow as my LR.

I'm very impressed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Great to hear. I'm about to experience my first winter with my 16 Trek. You seem to hear more criticism than praise. Enjoy and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ABS, VDC, and AWD all together makes the car awesome. Winter tires are very nice in poorer conditions but the car itself can handle fine in minor winter conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by vahallaoven View Post
    The ABS, VDC, and AWD all together makes the car awesome. Winter tires are very nice in poorer conditions but the car itself can handle fine in minor winter conditions.
    Subaru has always handled snow well, I'm on my 3rd and I never needed any snow tires in snow/ice conditions I have had to drive in here in NY, I don't go playing in the snow and if the State declares an emergency I stay put.
    I tend disagree with the VDC making the car awesome. The loss of throttle for the slightest amount wheel slip is annoying, turning it off helps a bit. My previous 2 Subies did not have VDC and I liked them better. AWD is enough traction control.

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    Its great in the snow, with snow tires even better (btw, snow tires are there not only for traction, they help you stopping a little shorter on winter crap than all season... and even a couple cm shorter helps as, in some countries, if you even barely touch another car without any damage some cops consider it rearending and charge you with some bs umbrella charge that will just give you a lot of headaches, if that ever happens to you then the time you stopped an hair from another car youll feel like you won the lottery)
    As for the various control systems, those are there to help in certain situations and might be more of a pain in others, offroading or getting out of a mountain of slush is one thing, making avoidance manoeuvres on the highway is another, thats why theres a button on your dash.
    If you want you can take a course where you can experiment but one simple thing is to go in an empty parking lot with a couple of cones and just have fun, even better if the ground is slippery with rain or slush. If then you get caught having to switch tires right at the first big snowfall you can even try the same day with both sets, its pretty cool to see the difference. Even better than cones are pool noodles, you sink them in the snow and can hit them without any fear to scratch the paint.

My 16 Crosstrek has been getting me around great here in Colorado on the snow and ice. The Yokohamas do fine as long as you don't push them past their limits. This car does exactly the things I bought it for. The next Subie may be a Forester XT for the wife!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    Subaru has always handled snow well, I'm on my 3rd and I never needed any snow tires in snow/ice conditions I have had to drive in here in NY, I don't go playing in the snow and if the State declares an emergency I stay put.
    I tend disagree with the VDC making the car awesome. The loss of throttle for the slightest amount wheel slip is annoying, turning it off helps a bit. My previous 2 Subies did not have VDC and I liked them better. AWD is enough traction control.
    Well, on ice it made driving much more predictable.

There is no computer code, artificial intelligence, eye-sight cameras or google autopilot that can match an experienced driver. When I drive I concentrate on driving, as I have for 38 years. I notice these automated assistance tools as being a nuisance, but then again I also don't pick up a cell phone for every little thing. I would have bought a manual Crosstrek if it wasn't for the electronic throttle fake feel.

Snow and Ice

You sound like an old guy (54) like me. You are correct, and I'm not just saying that because people think we are old.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch_Coolidge View Post
    You sound like an old guy (54) like me. You are correct, and I'm not just saying that because people think we are old.

Not old... well seasoned. Some of us have more salt and others a bit more pepper but everyone gets saltier as the years past by.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast