High Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited)

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: High Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited)

PostHigh Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited)

High Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ** No climate control display on Premium models **

Disclaimer: As with any modifications or upgrades to your XV you do them at your own risk of damage or injury.
    * Remember to always disconnect your battery before installation.

------------------------------------------------------
    Post Contents:
    Post 1: The Upgrade
    Post 2: Parts / Tools
    Post 3: Panel, switches and illumination harness
    Post 4: Wiring, terminals & connections
    Post 5: Conclusion

The Upgrade

We always want things we dont have. WRXs and Foresters have high grade MFDs but for some reason (cost?) Subaru didnt include it for some of us XV owners. This just makes us want it even more. The high grade MFD should have been standard across all models.

I want to thank forum member mcgheeda the first to accomplish this upgrade. Without his success I may never have given it a shot. I installed mine with the center panel MFD switch since I have a steering wheel switch for the combination meter and mcgheeda installed a steering wheel switch to control the MFD on his '14 XV. Here is a link to his thread: Part Number for High Grade MFD Upgrade. This modification might be easier for some and difficult for others. You have to decide for yourself if this is something you can do. Electrical wiring & splicing involved.It's not a plug & play mod. I hope my guide here will help give you some insight in what is involved.

The display looks great and the MFD from '15, '16 WRXs works well in the XV. I would probably guess a newer Forester MFD would also work with some minor differences. The Forester display adds oil & windshield wiper fluid check, an eco gauge along with eco history. Edit: Forester MFDs work and if you have Eyesight these are the displays you want. The turbo gauge on these MFDs makes for another want but cant have for our XVs turbos! It looks cools and does provide us with negative psi readings for vacuum system pressure. One thing noticed after the install is that the original select switch on the instrument cluster for the original info display no longer works. Not a big deal since the new switch takes its place. The trip meter switch works on the new MFD so no problems there.

HMboost.jpg HMclock.jpg HMtriplegauge.jpg mfdxv.jpg mfdxv1.jpg

Car settings available:

Hazard warning flasher setting to turn on/off hazard flash when locking or unlocking doors

Defogger - setting for 15 minutes on or continuous (rear defogger on for 15 minutes / then off for 2 minutes until turned off). Continuous is only available on models with automatic climate control.

Interior light delay timer setting set to off/10s/20s/30s

Auto Light Sensor - set auto headlight sensor to Low/Mid/High/Max

Welcome Lighting set leaving & approach to off/30s/60s/90s

The only car setting that is not useful to me is the keyless buzzer volume setting my XV is old school with a key.

For those of us getting up there in age it has birthday and anniversary reminders. It also has maintenance reminder settings for oil, filter & tire rotation. It displays both analog & digital clocks.
    It has a triple gauge with a selection to display oil temp and it also displays Eco history, mpg and fuel economy.

Edit: MFD settings for auto light sensor and welcome lighting on Limited XV's. Also Limiteds have a 7 speed climate control fan and Premiums have a 4 speed fan. Not sure if mfd fan display will display just 4 speeds ? Update: Premium models do not display a/c climate control info.
    Last edited by YYZ-XV; 11-25-2016 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Forester MFDs & Eyesight
    '15 XV Limited Desert Khaki

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

-----------------------------------------------------
    Post Contents:

OEM PARTS

This modification requires new or used OEM parts, connector terminals and wiring. The wiring and connector terminals will have to be found in a junkyard or online from a used instrument cluster harness. Below are the parts, tools and materials that I used for my mod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Grade MFD
    Part Number: 85261VA200
    Price (ebay) used: $194.99 shipped
    Note: MFD from a '16 WRX. Forum member mcgheeda used one from a '15 WRX (85261VA011).

2016MFDlabeled.jpg

Part Number: 85261SG410
    Price (ebay) used: $70.00 shipped
    Note: MFD from a '16 Forester. Installed Nov. 2016 Subaru Forester MFD research

Upper Center Vent Panel
    Part Number: 66065FJ030
    Price (new): $78.35 total w/shipping
    Note: One expensive plastic bezel! If your lucky to find one used at a good price buy it! This panel is like the one on a '15 XV Hybrid.

HMpanel.jpg

Interior Illumination Kit
    Part Number: H701SFJ101
    Price (ebay) new: $95.98 total w/shipping
    Note: Spliced into this harness for the MFD switch background light. This harness is not required if you decide to splice into the hazard light wiring. Also used for my cubby light (pocket light) led.

Hazard Switch
    Part Number: 83037VA000
    Price (ebay) used: $19.99 shipped
    Note: Accepts hazard light white connector i22 with no modification.

MFD Switch
    Part Number: 83056VA000
    Price (ebay) used: $29.98 shipped
    Note: Grey connector i7 needed for install. mcgheeda installed his using a steering wheel switch assembly (83158SG000) and a new lower steering wheel cover (34317FJ030VH)

HMhazmfdlabeled.jpg

Harness / Wiring / terminals
    Part Number: 81302VA080
    Price (ebay) used: $99.99 shipped
    Notes: The instrument cluster harness was from a '15 WRX STi and was the expensive way to go. It saved time and made it easier for me since I didnt have to go junkyard hunting. CANBUS wiring/terminals, the MFD switch connector i7 and wiring/terminals and the pocket light connector were all acquired from this harness.

HMwiringlabled.jpg

Misc. tools and supplies

Subaru wiring diagrams, plastic interior trim removal tools, wire strippers, crimper, splices, protective wire wrap, zip ties, electrical tape, heat shrink, a 1.4 mm and 1.0 mm precision screwdriver or a Astro 78445 terminal tool kit.

Astro tool .jpg
    Last edited by YYZ-XV; 11-25-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Forester MFD part info

--------------------------------------------------------
    Post Contents:
    --------------------------------------------------------

This is just a guide. Im not providing a step-by-step installation but an overall general how to. You will have to remove the combination meter (instrument gauge) to access the joint connectors i232 and i233. The removal of the radio for the cubby light but it also gave me some room to tie back the illumination harness.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upper Center Vent Panel
    I swapped the vent grill assemblies and silver vent rings from my panel to the new one. Not an easy task releasing the 4 plastic tabs at the same time.

Tip: I used a hair dryer to warm up the plastic and tooth picks to hold the tabs open. No panel tabs broken on removal or installation. ☺

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MFDwiringxv.jpg

CANBUS Wiring
    The red and blue CANBUS wires run from the (joint connectors i232 and i233) to the MFD (connector i122) pin 5 (blue) wire and pin 6 (red) wire.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMharnesslabeled.jpg < Footwell harness and wiring ready to install

Hazard Switch
    White footwell connector plugs right in ☺

Cubby Light (Pocket Light)
    Spliced into footwell harness. Radio removed for led and footwell harness install.
    Tip: protect your interior from scratches. Use tape and towels on plastic pieces when removing the radio.

MFD Switch wiring
    The grey connector i7 from your junkyard harness plugs in here. I spliced into the interior illumination harness (footwell light harness) for the MFD switch light illumination wires pin 1 (violet) and pin 4 (black/white). Pin 2 (green/blue) and Pin 3 (green/red) wires run to the MFD (connector i122) pin 12 (green/blue) and 4 (green/red). You could also splice into the hazard light wiring for the switch light.

HMi232i233.jpg < Joint connectors

HMi122.jpg < MFD connector

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.4mmscrewdriver.jpg
    Last edited by YYZ-XV; 08-08-2016 at 06:41 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Post Contents:

This part of the mod is the tricky part but once you get a couple pins to unlock and out of the connectors your on your way to installing a high grade MFD!

DEPINNING Connectors - watch video

Youll need some precision screwdrivers 1.4mm and 1.0mm. With these you should be able to depin the connectors. I bought the Astro 78445 terminal tool kit from Amazon.com and used the single face blade tool (1.0mm).

i122HM.jpg P3250112.jpg

Joint connectors i232 & I233
    The 1.4 mm Screwdriver works on the joint connectors i232 and i233. Remove the black locking cover. Use the screwdriver to release the internal lock and at the same time pull the pin/wire out.

i232HM.jpg

MFD connector i122
    The 1.4 mm screwdriver will not work in this connector. Open the connector wire lock covers and use a 1.0mm tool to release the internal lock and at the same time pull the pin/wire out.

Note: The 1.0mm tool from the Astro kit is very fragile. It bends easily.

Tip: Be patient, these terminals can be difficult at times but once you get the hang of it they come out easily. Practice on a pin/wire your not going to use.

i232i233.jpg

Wire Installation
    Protect the wires with protective wire wrap (tubing), electrical tape and route to the connectors. With your wiring diagram and connector pin out view in hand, just slide the terminals in their correct positions. Make sure they lock in place. Secure the new wiring with zip ties.

P3250104.jpg
    Last edited by YYZ-XV; 01-05-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Post Contents:

Well there you have it. I hope this helps with your install. It will take some time to install but I actually enjoyed the project and the results. Its not a cheap mod but if you can find the parts used at a good price your cost should be much lower than mine. Was it worth it? Yes. Its cool knowing my XV has a mod not many have and I have the ability to change some settings without having to go to the dealer. Plus I can always change back to a previous setting if I dont like it. The display is also more pleasing to look at and makes the interior that much better. If you have any questions Ill try to answer them. Good luck and happy modding!

By the way I would like to give credit to GeneralRap for the layout of my write-up. [GUIDE] VDC Shut-Off Switch Using OEM Buttons

radiocavity.jpg HMCL.jpg pocketlightcubby.jpg XVMFD1.jpg XVMFD2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Grade MFD Limited Crosstreks

1. mcgheeda '14
    2. YYZ-XV '15
    3. AstroPoverty '16
    4. yufasa '16
    5. fhartell '16
    6. RallyeBourne '14
    ---------------------------------------------------

High Grade MFD Base/Premium Crosstreks

1. privatepublic99 '15
    2. long_road '13
    3. drkicker '16
    4. Sticks01 '17
    ---------------------------------------------------

High Grade MFD Premium Imprezas

1. Antonnio '16 (Country - Panama)
    2. constablechatsworth '16 Impreza Sport Premium

I LOVE it. But like you said at the very beginning, it ain't for some owners to do. I would love to do this but wouldn't have a clue where or how to start. Guess I'll just continue to look at what came with my 2015 XV SE YELLOW Subaru, YELLOW Subaru.

Super Moderator
    Please note that a side benefit of the MFD (besides the cool looks) is that you should be able to attach a reverse camera to it for display. This is useful for those with an older XV that does not have the camera built-in and has the basic HeadUnit.

Very nice; I love it! Thanks for the write up.

I was wondering why this thread looked a little familiar

Honestly though, I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw that other thread; unfortunately, it's somewhat low on the totem pole of things I'd like to do to my XV. However, now that I know how to....

Very impressed - great job! I agree that this display really makes the interior look that much nicer. If it weren't for this, I think I'd have different opinions on the XV. The old fashioned LCD display on the drivers dashboard is really disappointing. It seems like it cost you a bit over $500 and a price I'd agree is well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    Please note that a side benefit of the MFD (besides the cool looks) is that you should be able to attach a reverse camera to it for display. This is useful for those with an older XV that does not have the camera built-in and has the basic HeadUnit.
    I've found your thread on this, from your post a long while back. It sounds like quite an extensive upgrade that will take the better part of a day?
    Backup camera to multifunction display

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast