High Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited) - Page 19

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: High Grade MFD upgrade ('15 XV Limited)

Quote Originally Posted by studiomtn View Post
    Hey guys, if I already own a 2017 limited with switches on the steering wheel. Do I still need the center switch? Do I have to pull out the steering wheel? and If I do have the center switch, does it work in conjunction with the steering wheel at the same time?
    I would also like to know the answer to this. I am pretty sure the switch will still have to be added due to the steering wheel switch is already in use by the gauge cluster's menu (Which doesn't offer a whole lot)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Anyone in the Buffalo area want to help me out with this mod! I'd love to do it but don't know if I have the skills to pull it off!

So I found something interesting. It looks like the Hybrid Crosstreks already came with the High Grade MFDs, so why did Subaru stop installing them in the 2017 models? I think I found a local 15 Crosstrek Hybrid and 16 Crosstrek Limited that both have the high grade MFDs. It makes absolutely no sense that Subaru removed them as an option for the 2017s

Anyways, my question is, could I pull the wiring straight out of the hybrid or 2016 limited and have a fully working setup? Does anyone know if the hybrid display will work on a non-hybrid car?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by FFMDC View Post
    So I found something interesting. It looks like the Hybrid Crosstreks already came with the High Grade MFDs, so why did Subaru stop installing them in the 2017 models? I think I found a local 15 Crosstrek Hybrid and 16 Crosstrek Limited that both have the high grade MFDs. It makes absolutely no sense that Subaru removed them as an option for the 2017s

Anyways, my question is, could I pull the wiring straight out of the hybrid or 2016 limited and have a fully working setup? Does anyone know if the hybrid display will work on a non-hybrid car?
    You are correct U.S. Hybrid Crosstreks (13'-'16') came with the High Grade MFD. U.S. Premium & Limited Crosstreks (13'-17') never had the upgraded MFD. If you found a '16 with one the previous owner installed it.

I would say the wiring from a hybrid would work. As for the MFD from the hybrid working in a non-hybrid I just don't know what would and would not display. The hybrid displays two additional screens. One is a fuel save screen and the other is a energy flow screen. If they do display on a non-hybrid I guess you could just scroll past them but The Forester MFDs are a better transplant for the Crosstrek.

Subaru Forester MFD research.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RallyeBourne View Post
    Just placed an order on Amazon for the TE 173681-1 contacts. I'm not entirely sure how many I'm getting... it said 100 pieces in the description, but then the price was broken down as $2.70x10=$27.02. So it's possible that I'll have 1,000 of these, haha. Either way, when I'm done, I'll have some extras for anyone else looking to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So this would be instead of trying to find a harness, correct? You just used your own wires and crimped these on the end to insert in the joint connectors and the MFD connector?

Quote Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
    So this would be instead of trying to find a harness, correct? You just used your own wires and crimped these on the end to insert in the joint connectors and the MFD connector?
    Yes, but...

If I had to do it again, I'd just get a harness. There were actually a couple different kind of pins for the different connectors, so I ended up having to Mickey Mouse a few connections to get it all to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
    anyone know if this harness would give me what I need? TIA!

2015 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI OEM DASHBOARD WIRE HARNESS ASSEMBLY EJ257 VA2 #2346 | eBay
    I would say yes. If you notice in the picture the part # is 81302VA110 (2015 STI) 2015 Subaru. #81302VA110: HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL

The harness I used was part # 81302VA080 also from the 2015 WRX/STI series.

Awesome thanks. I'm thinking of snagging it and taking the plunge. There is also one for 79.99, hoping another one of those 15 off 75 codes comes up this month, would make it reasonable to get the harness and go the easy route!

Quote Originally Posted by YYZ-XV View Post
    I would say yes. If you notice in the picture the part # is 81302VA110 (2015 STI) 2015 Subaru. #81302VA110: HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL

The harness I used was part # 81302VA080 also from the 2015 WRX/STI series.
    Last question - i've read through a couple of times now and get where everything is going. Only thing I'm a bit lost on is the MFD background light. You mentioned splicing into hazard light if not using footwell illumination. Does going the harness route avoid this? Or do we have to do this regardless? I didn't see it mentioned frequently so I'm just curious as to what most people are doing, and how they are doing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 LastLast