Led flexi strip in cargo area - Page 3

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Led flexi strip in cargo area

Hi there Brian,

I have spliced/soldered into the wiring of the original cargo bay light before the plug and then covered with heat shrink insulation. However if I was to do this again or recommend a way, I would simply purchase the socket fittings to plug into the standard plug and make a separate loom to go then to the factory light and my LED strip.

I could have splashed out and gone with the 50/50 LED which would have been brighter - would I recommend that - sure but I'm happy with the amount of Light we now have.

Hope that helps.

Thank you to all those who have contributed good ideas to this thread also.

James

PS Sorry for the delay
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    JOMESINC,

How hard was it to wire you LED up to the existing rear light?
    2014 Subaru XV 2.0i Quartz Blue Pearl
    Pro Rack - Whispbar, through bar.
    Yakima Sky Box 16
    LED strip cargo bay lighting
    Outback 16" alloys
    Toyo Open Country AT II tyres 215/70R16
    Rokblokz Rally Mud Flaps

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bobpebly View Post
    A quick thanks for all the ideas in the thread. I just installed the DD LED strip on the underside of the cover bar and used a speaker jack on the side for a quick disconnect. Rather than use the DD supplied wedge adapter, which replaces the existing fixture's bulb, I tapped into the fixture wiring using some wire nut taps like this:
    Attachment 80842
    Just a quick caution about vampire taps. They are super handy but also are susceptible for mechanical failure modes. Copy/pasting from my build thread: "-There are advocates against vampire taps in vehicles that steered me away from it. I've had several in my previous cars long term (~8 years) and haven't had problems, but after reading this I started splicing with soldering the old way."

Quote Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
    mx3frik: I followed your build and I noticed that you have both the stock cargo light and the led strip lit. Does the led strip illuminate when you open the rear hatch such as how bobpebly (should) work -- or is it on a separate circuit? I get the speaker disconnect bobpebly has, if installed on the bar, but I'm thinking another direction for a full time install and still have it operate as the stock cargo light does. I'm not in favor of replacing the 169/194 existing bulb with the DD solution, probably a combination of bobpebly's snap t-tap and a 168 extension.
    I tapped into the circuit right onto the metal tabs on the stock cargo light unit, after the connector and after the switch, so it can both be turned on with the hatch pening and turned off entirely along with the stock cargo light. I just preferred the addition rather than replacing the stock cargo light myself as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Just to clarify it may not have been clear from the OP photos - I still have the standard cargo light fitted and working, I just tapped into its wiring and as stated above LED strip switches on and off with the back door open and closing just like the standard light.
    2014 Subaru XV 2.0i Quartz Blue Pearl
    Pro Rack - Whispbar, through bar.
    Yakima Sky Box 16
    LED strip cargo bay lighting
    Outback 16" alloys
    Toyo Open Country AT II tyres 215/70R16
    Rokblokz Rally Mud Flaps

Quote Originally Posted by travishardiman View Post
    Is that an RCA connector? or a 3.5mm headphone style? I think I have an RCA extension cable I could use.... I wonder how hard it would be to make something like apple's mag-safe connector.

I currently have the DD 12 led board suck on the outside of the lamp since it wouldn't fit inside. It puts out decent light, but I think that strip would work a lot better and light stuff a lot more even back there.
    You could trim 3 LEDs off the board to make it fit? I've had customers do that before and it's worked out well for their application.

Nick C.

I didn't realize that was possible! it's really just the one corner where the light's switch gets in the way. Could I trim just one or two off or does it have to be 3? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by travishardiman View Post
    I didn't realize that was possible! it's really just the one corner where the light's switch gets in the way. Could I trim just one or two off or does it have to be 3? Thanks!
    Feel free to try cutting off one. If you have any issues after, send me a PM and I will get you taken care of!

Nick C.

Quote Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
    We have a flexlight option that comes with adapters for festoon and 194-sized sockets. It's a direct plug-in to the factory socket

(Still haven't had an XV in for testing, but we are actively searching for one here in St. Louis)

Feel free to give us a call if you are looking for LED replacements. We have bulb sizes for nearly every interior location: (314) 205-3033

Subaru's are fairly simple to install LEDs in

Nick C.
    Nick:
    I was just on the web site and STILL NO XV Crosstrek listing for the "flexlight option". I can't seem to get anything to show for the trunk LED strip for the XV.

I also wanted to know if you offered any type of a package deal on LED kits. I want to pretty much swap it all to LED and am interested in a kit price. Let me know by private email.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtLip View Post
    Nick:
    I was just on the web site and STILL NO XV Crosstrek listing for the "flexlight option". I can't seem to get anything to show for the trunk LED strip for the XV.

I also wanted to know if you offered any type of a package deal on LED kits. I want to pretty much swap it all to LED and am interested in a kit price. Let me know by private email.

Thanks
    The Flexlights are currently out of stock, hence why they've been removed from the site's listings

They are expected to return this week

Also, we have a full kit put together and offer free-shipping for U.S. members (send us a PM for the code!)

Give us a call this week if you have any questions: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
    Nick C.

Quote Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
    The Flexlights are currently out of stock, hence why they've been removed from the site's listings

They are expected to return this week

Also, we have a full kit put together and offer free-shipping for U.S. members (send us a PM for the code!)

Give us a call this week if you have any questions: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
    Nick C.
    Hey Nick, I'm having the same issue with my 12 LED trunk light. I trimmed off 3 but it barely fit and when I was trying to fit it, it bent the metal switch that turns the light on and off and I can't get it back to being normal and when I finally installed it, the light was flickering and after a few minutes stopped working. I pulled it back out and it only worked when I held it a certain way. I think I've come to the conclusion that I need to replace this piece, try again, and be more careful. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1437245221.448169.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast