How do you guys secure your kayak/canoe to your crossterk?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How do you guys secure your kayak/canoe to your crossterk?

How do you guys secure your kayak/canoe to your crossterk?

There is nothing in the rear bottom to tie to the end of the kayak. I only see one but it does not look sturdy. Any tips and If you guys post some pictures that would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Knowing the size of your kayak/canoe would help. I know a few people who managed to stuff their kayaks in the car itself and managed to close the hatch on it

You should have a tow hook next to your spare tire, use that for a tie down in the rear. Here's a picture of where it should go
    impreza14-5door-tow-hook1.jpg

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I use the Tow Hook in the front and tie the back off to my hitch.
    2015 XV Crosstrek Premium w/Eyesight and Premium Audio
    Kicker speakers, Curt Hitch, Kuat Sherpa Bike Rack, J-Style Malone Kayak Rack

Duct tape?
    2015 XV Crosstrek, Quartz Blue
    2007 Dodge 1500 4x4

Yeah, well what you plan and what happens ain't ever exactly been similar.
    - Jayne Cobb

IMG_1989.jpg
    I use the trailer hitch in the rear and Thule Quick loop straps in the front

Quote Originally Posted by Mi.cheng89 View Post
    You should have a tow hook next to your spare tire, use that for a tie down in the rear. Here's a picture of where it should go
    Attachment 219466
    I get what OP is saying. If you use the tow hook on the rear, what are you using for the front? I used another tow hook for the front on a long trip, but the boat was at an angle and I did not like it. DirkG has a picture, but I'm not sure how it's connected either. Certainly not the hood/bonnet.

In the front, we use hood loops:
    Seals - Hood Loops
    These attach to bolts already on the sides inside the engine compartment. Attach once; fold inside when not in use, open hood and pull out when needed. Looks like what Dirkg above also uses.

Tow hook or tow hitch in back.

Ontario Canada Driving:___ 2016 Touring 5MT
    loops and hitch.
    Without the hitch was loops on the front and one loop on the back secured to the ring of the hatch lock (on the body obviously, not the door, it doesnt ruin the paint or door lip and its plenty secure)
    One advantage of the loops is that they are high on the car so with short hulls the ropes wont wrap around bumpers or body.
    Any single point that is offcenter is not that helpful as it tries to pull that end towards itself, certain plastic hulls suffer from that, specially if they are in full sun for awhile. It doesnt stop that end from moving towards the single attachment point and thanks to Murphy the crosswinds are never helpful... Still better than nothing though
    Seen plenty of canoes oilcanning because the roofrack straps were tightened too much to make up for the ineffective anchoring at the ends (and had to repair a crack in the fiberglass of a canoe because the owner goes gorilla on the ratchet straps: ties the straps then tries the ends and they still wiggle so tigthens the strap more, and so on.... and on a long hull the middle straps arent far enough to stop it from wiggling).

If you carry very often a canoe or kayak(s) then its worth investigating the possibility of adding proper attachment points, including replicating the tow hook attachment on the other side of the bumper using aftermarket universal tow hook receivers, like Rennline stuff for example. Usually they can be welded on and have a bolted end plate added, in your case you wouldnt use it for towing so it could be done with lighter material but then, if it looks like a real tow hook receiver, there will be someone trying to actually use it for towing by mistake, so if u go that route do it properly. In many cases its possible to add simple brackets, specially in the front where with bumpers and grilles there are more options to pass through without modifying too much, and they wont be mistaken for towing points... I used to add them without too many problems in many cars I owned but lately I end placing the loops as last minute job and then they are good enough that I keep procrastinating putting in real attachment points

Ps: if possible try to have the end ropes going in opposite directions: like a V or Λ, that way they will resist movement when the hull tries to move forward or backwards without the roofrack doing all the work. If they are in the same direction // or \\ they are effective only for the movement that puts them in tension but not the other way. Loops work well for that because usually you have 2 or 3 different bolts along the fender to attach to with hood hinges being the closest place to the windshield to attach loops to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast