Fuel Filter

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fuel Filter

Fuel Filter

I haven't found much information on the Fuel Filter. I have a service manual, but the fuel filter section ends with "Remove the fuel pump from the fuel filter assembly". Do I have to replace the whole assembly or is there just a filter component I can get? Where are people getting theirs? I can't seem to find any fuel filters listed online in advance or auto zone. I've checked the Subaru parts sites and the blow up drawing is confusing. It shows the Filter as part number 24 on the drawing, but that part is shown as a ring that looks like it goes under the level sensor, not in the fuel pump assembly. Anyone have some better info on the fuel filter? Some pics or a part number would help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

See if this manual is more complete
    Attached Files
    __ ~~0`
    __ (/> __
    ( # )/-*-/( # )

Those Who Live Without Risk, Risk Not Living At All!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

When I do stinky stuff like gluing something or someone has smoked inside the car. I'll leave the windows down and run a fan all night to air out. Found this on you tube to give you an idea what to expect.

note to self. Do this on a near empty tank! if this guy were any more monotoned he could be a robot
    __ ~~0`
    __ (/> __
    ( # )/-*-/( # )

Those Who Live Without Risk, Risk Not Living At All!

Quote Originally Posted by Slvr5Spd View Post
    note to self. Do this on a near empty tank! if this guy were any more monotoned he could be a robot
    My son was a Honda Car Salesman for awhile. His boss told him Subaru owners are cut from a different cloth! Ernest-T-Bass.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jamessamuel View Post
    Complete fuel filter part is to be changed. If you have any doubt, you can make visit to concerned dealers who will make your doubt clear.
    Do you mean that round part that guy is holding the size of a small toilet paper roll or informing us their's more than one part? DrStrangelove060Pyxurz1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by billybob View Post
    Do you mean that round part that guy is holding the size of a small toilet paper roll or informing us their's more than one part? Attachment 143794

The filter in the video is the one Subaru used from 2005-2010 (mini toilet paper roll). The video is a good reference for removal of the fuel pump/filter assembly. Here is another DIY with pictures from NASIOC
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2303133

Fuel Filter 42072AJ060 (Type 1) comes up as the Crosstrek replacement part on most Subaru parts web sites, however there is some confusion. It appears there are 2 types of fuel pump/filter assembly.
    Type 2 requires you replace 2 parts (see pictures)

Fuel filters.jpg

Type 1 2014-subaru-impreza-fuel-filter.jpg

Type 2 a_20150722_1427587592.jpg a_20150722_155549590.jpg

Just an FYI there are post on the Forester board that "lazy" dealers are replacing the entire $500 fuel pump and gasket.

I am also reading post of people not doing the filter change at all and some well past 100K miles.

Discussions on Toyota, Honda and Chrysler/Jeep boards (even some techs) are saying lifetime in tank filters
    never need replacing. Late model Toyota fuel pump/filters are similar to ours.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...58/index2.html

If I am reading everything correctly, it looks like in addition to the Filter, I am supposed to use a new packing spacer and support rubber cushion for installing the pump into the filter housing and a new gasket when installing the assembly back into the gas tank. These would be drawing numbers:

Filter: 42072A
    Packing Spacer: 42046E
    Support Rubber Cushion: 42043P
    Fuel Pump/Filter Assembly Gasket: 42025B - There are two 42025B gaskets, which one?

Are these all the items that need replaced when changing out the fuel filter for a '13? Also, the Parts site linked above shows two parts for the item 42025B. One is $18 and the other is $70. Can anyone confirm if these are the correct parts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast