Automated car washes?

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum – General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Automated car washes?

Automated car washes?

I've been using a touchless car wash but it doesn't seem to get the car as clean as it should.. I'm wondering about the brushes on the other car washes? will they snap off my radio antenna?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I use a touchless car wash and it always has done a good job on my cars. It also has an under carriage wash good in the winter to keep all the salt off the underside here in Maine. As the weather gets better and stays above freezing the hose comes out at home. Maybe the prewash soap isn`t strong enough or the pressure is too low to do a good job ? The old style car washes with the brushes can potentially due harm to your paint. That`s why most car washes have converted to the touchless.

Quote Originally Posted by adventuringdan View Post
    I've been using a touchless car wash but it doesn't seem to get the car as clean as it should.. I'm wondering about the brushes on the other car washes? will they snap off my radio antenna?
    At the car wash I go to, they take off (unscrew) the antenna before running the car through the brushes. Screws on/off really easily.

That being said, while the front of the car gets pretty clean, the backside doesn't get a good scrubbing because of the shape of the car. At least with the brush configuration at the local car wash.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I use a touchless car wash but I never expect a 100% clean car after. I usually hit the windows myself afterwards. It's always good to have a microfiber cloth handy to dry everything the dryer misses too.

Never let anyone, let alone a machine wash your car. unless you dont care about horrible swirls and scratches from rough brushes and dirty towels..

dont believe me? look at your car under a dim parking lot with halogen streetlamps.. swirl maniaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by H15A View Post
    Never let anyone, let alone a machine wash your car. unless you dont care about horrible swirls and scratches from rough brushes and dirty towels..

dont believe me? look at your car under a dim parking lot with halogen streetlamps.. swirl maniaaaaa
    And that's just what the dealer lot attendants do before you purchase your vehicle!

In all seriousness though, H15A is correct. Even "touchless" car washes can wreak havoc on your paint. If its winter time and I don't want to drag out the hose, I'll go to the coin-op DIY place. and even then its a crap shoot

Then to protect your paint what about the dip or coating some people talk about on the forum to protect their car.

Since so many people recommend hand washing the car yourself, does anyone know of any nice article/wiki/etc. about how to do this properly? I'm not sure I would do a better job than an automated car wash right now...

Rule of thumb, only use soft microfiber towels. When you dry the car, its best to use a big microfiber towel to dry large areas at a time. Not by rubbing. For example, when drying your hood just drape the entire towel over the hood and then lift the towel. It will pick up all the water. Then later on you can clean the streaks off with another dry towel. Also, if you drop the towel NEVER use it again unless you had it washed thoroughly. I check all my towels for any rocks, gunk that might scratch the car.

When you take your car to someone else, they really dont give a ****. Ive seen Subaru dealerships where they wash cars with a big brush, and in between washes the brush is laying on the asphalt. Guess what? The next car that comes by gets all those nice rocks rubbed all over their paint. Also they dont change towels from one car to the next.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast