Automated car washes? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Automated car washes?

Super Moderator
    Most people forget that dirt doesn't come off easily unless it's scrubbed/wipped off using a mild detergent or a lot of pressure with a harsh detergent. All touchless washing systems (including your dishwasher at home) uses harsh detergents to get the dirt off. Those harsh detergents generally get everything off including the stuff underneath the dirt like the wax and paint... Just look at your own glassware or dinner plates after a few times in the dishwasher

As H15A stated, get some good quality washing cloths like microfiber.

If you want a good detailed guide on detailing (sorry couldn't help myself), check out the autogeek website - Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides. Please note that they sell stuff so many of the products that they use are "advertised" product placements but the general process is correct and the warnings are pretty good. They might be a little OCD however

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    If you want a good detailed guide on detailing (sorry couldn't help myself), check out the autogeek website - Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides. Please note that they sell stuff so many of the products that they use are "advertised" product placements but the general process is correct and the warnings are pretty good. They might be a little OCD however
    Thanks rlouie, will check it out. I really need a step-by-step guide, hope the site will have it; telling me how to dry is like jumping directly to step 5 out of 7 But yes, I'm willing and looking forward to learn, the XV is too beautiful to treat it bad...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iustin View Post
    Thanks rlouie, will check it out. I really need a step-by-step guide, hope the site will have it; telling me how to dry is like jumping directly to step 5 out of 7 But yes, I'm willing and looking forward to learn, the XV is too beautiful to treat it bad...
    I've realized over the years that washing and generally detailing of cars have become a lost art to the general public while others have gone completely OCD on the subject.

Some of the reasons I think are:
    1. Some people are naturally OCD and the internet with the sharing of information just helps that along...
    2. The move in many parts of the world to Condos instead of full houses makes it hard to have a spot to wash the car...
    3. The idea of keeping a car for years disappeared with the introduction of the 3 year lease for most people.
    4. The idea of cars being built better with better rust protection and paints have helped people get lazy!
    5. The large number of car care products have given those who like to find the perfect something something else to try

I guess in the end, try not to get too caught up on either side of the argument but do the basic research to find the product that is right for you and not necessarily what others may be pushing or OCD'd over (and that includes hints from me!).

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I use to use a pressure washer... to get the bugs and dirt off ~2700 PSI. Also helps prevent/reduce the amount of dirt partials that build up in the soap bucket which can get stuck in the wash MIT. With the washer I would also spay simple green on the mother and spay it off 1,2 a yr.

Lately, thought its been the shell touch less car wash. It actually does do a good job cost only 8.00 USD. It does lift the rear wiper up but never is threatened in getting damaged. After the wash I just push it back down.

Briers, branches, rocks and mud all take their toll....usually far worse than the car wash does. I don't worry about it, it's my daily driver, not a trailer queen for car shows. Our last two cars we kept for 15 years and the paint still looked fine, but then again I don't bother to squint at it under halogens at night.

Maybe I'm just too practical. (But "practical off-road" is why I bought an XV in the first place.)

Drive it, off-road it, rally it, even pamper it with special wash cloths if you like, any way you do it, it's a great car.
    '15 XV Hybrid touring, Crystal Black Silica
    '13 XV, Ice Silver Metallic, CVT. (traded for above)

Quote Originally Posted by relic View Post
    Briers, branches, rocks and mud all take their toll....usually far worse than the car wash does. I don't worry about it, it's my daily driver, not a trailer queen for car shows. Our last two cars we kept for 15 years and the paint still looked fine, but then again I don't bother to squint at it under halogens at night.

Maybe I'm just too practical. (But "practical off-road" is why I bought an XV in the first place.)

Drive it, off-road it, rally it, even pamper it with special wash cloths if you like, any way you do it, it's a great car.
    Very well said!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I just purchased a 2015 Crosstrek with the Eyesight feature and am reading that the camera lenses inside the windshield should not get wet. I would think that taking it to a carwash now would not be a good idea since the attendants do get in the car and clean the interior glass. Anyone have any issues with the camera lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by webcricket View Post
    I use a touchless car wash but I never expect a 100% clean car after. I usually hit the windows myself afterwards. It's always good to have a microfiber cloth handy to dry everything the dryer misses too.
    If you're like me (condo) with no self-wash option or don't want to spend lots of $ on products/accessories and, later, OCD therapy (LOL), I suggest the following:

A. when keeping the car 3 yrs or less or are not too fussy/concerned, go the "webcricket" (# 5 above) route 1-2 times per month...never use brushes,etc.

B. keeping the car longer or are pretty fastidious, then spring $500+ for a professionally applied "real deal" sealant/protection (CeramicPro, OptiCoat 2) and avoid ALL the many, many 'wannabees' incl. the junk pushed by dealers......I've used the 2 products mentioned and they work for years, dirt,etc. hose or even light rain off, little/no spotting after a quick drying drive and can easily be supplemented, if desired, by the "webcricket" method every 2-3 months or if/when really, really dirty.

IMHO and experience, unless you really enjoy intensive and expensive claying/washing/waxing/coating every 1-2 months or so (and many do, which is fine), trying to find a reliable "happy medium" between "A" and "B" just doesn't pan out in terms of time, effort and $$$.

Hi Everyone..my self Flynn Hardey.. i am new to this forum..research on car wash equipment services and publish articles/blogs frequently to keep the readers informed about those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2