XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice

XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice

First drove the XV in snow and ice a couple of weeks after I bought it and was terrified for the entire eight hour trip home. Any time I encountered wind and ice (and we're not talking gobsmacks of ice here - not an ice pack. Maybe a gentle sheen), my car wobbled as if it were in a fish tail, and felt as if the AWD system was trying to correct itself.
    It didn't happen again until December - same conditions - something I would have happily of done 90-100 km in my Impreza and not have had a problem with. When I hit 80 km, same wobble. It continued to do that for a month. Took it to the dealership - they explained it could be one of three things 1- alignment was off 2- the huge screw in my sidewall (yeah - got that looked after) 3 - driver inexperience, which I took a little offence to, until they explained the XV has super touchy electric steering.
    So, new tire on, alignment adjusted, one finger on the steering wheel, it seemed to have solved the problem. Until this past week - again with the wobbly fishtail and feeling as if I was over correcting when I was barely even touching the wheel.
    Tires have been checked and they're good. Alignment SHOULDN'T be messed up. But I'm starting to feel a little crazy and a little like I don't want to drive this thing in the winter.
    I've checked other forums and can't find anything. Just wondering if any other XV drivers here have encountered the same thing?
    If it helps, I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

.?????
    No idea what u are talking about we don't get any bad weather like that in Australia

I think I know what you mean - this winter I would get a feeling of sliding then the "oh sh*t" buzz of the car correcting the traction. I didn't feel too wobbly, but it didn't grip the road as I was expecting. It did gain traction quickly, though, it was just the momentary unease that I had to get used to. The Impreza hugs the road better; the height of the XV really changes the feel, IMO. No expert here, but i'm sure someone else here is :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Mary

2000 Legacy GT Black Granite Pearl ~ "The Subaru" - Retired
    2013 Crosstrek Limited Satin White Pearl ~ "The Nubaru" - Traded in after 21,000 miles/10 months

5. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Is this your first vehicle with stability control and traction control?
    No - I traded in my Impreza for the XV and it had both traction and stability control.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryBee View Post
    I think I know what you mean - this winter I would get a feeling of sliding then the "oh sh*t" buzz of the car correcting the traction. I didn't feel too wobbly, but it didn't grip the road as I was expecting. It did gain traction quickly, though, it was just the momentary unease that I had to get used to. The Impreza hugs the road better; the height of the XV really changes the feel, IMO. No expert here, but i'm sure someone else here is :-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I was starting to think I was crazy.
    Thanks for the reply. My husband calls it an "unofficial safety system" that makes me drive under 80 km/h. All I know is it scares the crap out of my carpoolers too!

I think the height has something to do with it. I will say it is much less stable than any other Subaru I have ever owned. I will also say it could be the lightest one too which could be some of my issues too.
    15 Outback Premium w/eyesight , 14 Buick Encore AWD TURBO!!!1!!!11! , 07 Trek 7100 x2
    Formally a moderator now just a guy who comes here and hangs out once in awhile.

When I hit a big ice patch a couple of weeks ago I nearly spun as well. The car isn't as sure footed on ice as I'd hoped. It handled perfectly on snow though.
    This is on the stock Geolandars.

I absolutely love the way it handles in snow, and slush and rain.
    Ice is ice... guess I should just slow down. Although, after the dealership adjusted the alignment, it seemed to be okay again.
    Maintenance this weekend, so I'll tell them again - although I'm hoping winter is finally over!

Get the alignment checked. My guess is you have a rear toe issue - specifically, toe out. That will make the car naturally want to rotate. I don't find the steering overly sensitive at all, with either the Altimax Arctic snow tires or the OEM's.
    Rich in PA

'13 XV Limited in Tangerine, the QBARU
    Nav, Popular package #2, kicker speakers/tweets, 2x Sound Ordnance b-8pt underseat subs, sport grille, remote start, Hella Twin tone horns, Huskyliner's..
    Others: '04 Avalanche 2500, '98 Trans Am 410rwhp, Yamaha R6 racebike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast