XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice - Page 11

1. Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum General discussion forum for the Subaru XV

Welcome to Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum - a website dedicated to all things Subaru XV.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Subaru XV Crosstrek Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice

Quote Originally Posted by VSurfn View Post
    I don't see any difference in the body mounts as far as lift spacers between the Legacy and Outback, just seems the Legacy Sedan has a lower spring/strut suspension setup.
    You are correct.
    I installed a set of Legacy GT struts and springs on her car with a small rear strut spacer to account for the extra heft in the rear of the wagons.
    It dropped her car nicely around ~2" overall

2. Remove Advertisements
    Subaru XV Forum
    Advertisements

I haven't gotten a chance to do any more testing as the plows were out all weekend.
    I'm going to Euro-Tire tomorrow to get an alignment done and will report back when we've got more snow and ice on the ground.
    Trying to stay patient and not make too many changes between tests so I can isolate the issue...

I still feel a little skeptical about this being an alignment issue... those who've cured this by alignment had alignments out of spec... I'll compare my after report from my first alignment to the before report from Euro-Tire.
    Also, skeptical about it being the height as I've been lowered (only an inch) and have different spring rate springs, yet I'm experiencing what those with stock suspension are experiencing.
    I'm skeptical about it being tire choice. If anything the tires are amplifying the effects of something else going but we'll just say that I'm having this affect with non OEM tires on top of them being A/T.
    ------
    Might be getting snow again this weekend so I'll be testing out the effects of the alignment, and finally I'll be pulling the traction fuse to see if the electronics are contributing.

Barring the results, I think the only thing that makes sense to try next is a different shock dampener. The only ones I've seen were the KYB GR-2/EXCEL-G struts but I don't know enough about them. All I can see is that they are an OEM replacement.... Does anyone know of aftermarket shocks we can use or more info on these KYB struts?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phatroksek View Post
    Barring the results, I think the only thing that makes sense to try next is a different shock dampener. The only ones I've seen were the KYB GR-2/EXCEL-G struts but I don't know enough about them. All I can see is that they are an OEM replacement.... Does anyone know of aftermarket shocks we can use or more info on these KYB struts?
    There's another thread over in the Suspension subforum on replacing stock with KYB struts. One of our Australian members did it (using an Australian part number which doesn't seem to be available in North America) and had great success in better dampening. Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN

Quote Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
    There's another thread over in the Suspension subforum on replacing stock with KYB struts. One of our Australian members did it (using an Australian part number which doesn't seem to be available in North America) and had great success in better dampening. Replaced Rear Struts XV 2012 - AUSTRALIAN
    thanks rlouie! i did see this and gave it another read and i'm definitely leaning this way after ruling out the alignment.
    i'll try to find out what the differences are between kyb models #340116 (au) and #340118 (usa)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    thanks rlouie! i did see this and gave it another read and i'm definitely leaning this way after ruling out the alignment.
    i'll try to find out what the differences are between kyb models #340116 (au) and #340118 (usa)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hopefully someone at KYB should know. If you are going this route, I would also think about replacing the strut mounts with KYBs. There's a long thread about strut mount noise for the fronts (Strut clunking noise) and one member basically went through various ones out there and found that they were of poor quality but he didn't try KYB ones I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Closed Case View Post
    We had 50 km - 70 km sustained winds yesterday, power is out all over the Syracuse, NY area and 30 something schools have delays. Your side of the lake had that mirror effect too [high winds]. Our XV can be pushed a 1/2 lane over easily at highway speeds on open highway with elevated sections from Cicero to I90 Pike on 481. Last week we had a couple tough days. The sudden sustained gusts are the killers. We had 18F [-8CF] as a Sunday HIGH and tomorrow we'll have a high of 55F [13C]. Big fronts move in and out of this area over night. We were at 12F yesterday morning, we have 41F this morning. Oh JOY.

Uugh! I hate HATE! that freezing rain to icy everything. I don't miss that AT all. Yup, I lived in Rochester NY for a time. The last time, the ice was a quarter inch thick on the windshield... some years ago now.

XV yaw (lateral movement) with wind and ice

just got finished with my alignment Euro-Tire and am fully zeroed toe on each corner. thrust angle and steer ahead are true 0.
    when reviewing the printout, ET immediately said that not many places do a true alignment, just get in spec and the box turns green that's it. they were convinced the last shop who performed the alignment didn't touch the toe settings at all as they were just in spec.
    they checked my tire pressures and load for these all terrains and said everything looks good.

i don't know yet about the snow conditions and the dog tracking, however, on dry roads (we have some slight rain in CNJ today, but lots of sun and 60's) the car has never driven straighter. I can feel the chassis and the level of grip of the tires now. the vague steering feel seems to be gone and i also can get a sense of the crown in the road as the steering is so true now.
    i hope it's not just a placebo effect or perhaps i may be super sensitive right now as i'm looking for the effects of the alignment, but i think we're onto something here... perhaps with all the factors included (tall, symmetrical awd, tires...) that this platform is very sensitive to its wheels' alignments.

as for KYB, their customer support has passed my inquiry to their Technical support. will relay information back when received!

Super Moderator
    just got finished with my alignment Euro-Tire and am fully zeroed toe on each corner. thrust angle and steer ahead are true 0.
    when reviewing the printout, ET immediately said that not many places do a true alignment, just get in spec and the box turns green that's it. they were convinced the last shop who performed the alignment didn't touch the toe settings at all as they were just in spec.
    they checked my tire pressures and load for these all terrains and said everything looks good.

i don't know yet about the snow conditions and the dog tracking, however, on dry roads (we have some slight rain in CNJ today, but lots of sun and 60's) the car has never driven straighter. I can feel the chassis and the level of grip of the tires now. the vague steering feel seems to be gone and i also can get a sense of the crown in the road as the steering is so true now.
    i hope it's not just a placebo effect or perhaps i may be super sensitive right now as i'm looking for the effects of the alignment, but i think we're onto something here... perhaps with all the factors included (tall, symmetrical awd, tires...) that this platform is very sensitive to its wheels' alignments.

as for KYB, their customer support has passed my inquiry to their Technical support. will relay information back when received!
    Sounds like you got a keeper for an alignment place. Anyone that cares enough to do adjustments to everything even when 'they don't have to because it's green' is demonstrating some of that old world craftsmanship!

KYB USA doesn't have any data on the Australian rear shock. They did tell me that the 340118 is 5-10% firmer than stock.

Super Moderator
    KYB USA doesn't have any data on the Australian rear shock. They did tell me that the 340118 is 5-10% firmer than stock.
    Hmmm.... They don't but I'll bet that KYB Australia does.

Does KYB USA have a detailed spec sheet on the product? Then we just need to contact KYB Australia (or one of the other countries that have the 340116) for their spec sheet. The real nice thing about the Internet and e-mail is that most people can't tell where exactly you are from.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast